Walkley Sidings. Inglenook with a Fiddle Yard.

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
In 1925 A.R. Walkley exhibited his 'Portable Goods Yard' which he'd built to demonstrate that a practical working layout was possible with 00 gauge. Essentially his layout design was an Inglenook with slightly longer sidings.

6a9mNDg.jpg

QTR4RUm.jpg

And moving on to 2020 I needed a simple layout as a way for me to learn how to build a Trainz model railway. I like shunting and small quirky light railways so A,R. Walkley's layout was the perfect choice. At 6ft X 1ft it's not very big so I've added a further six feet onto it for a fiddle yard.

This is progress so far after more than a few trials and errors. And I have a silly question to ask, - how do you delete the basemap? All the instructions I've read go into everything in detail about making a basemap, but at the end of the instructions they say to delete the basemap once you've done with it; - BUT they don't say a word about how to delete the basemap.

A87z59M.jpg

3aJ9Z29.jpg

Annie, that's coming along great!

These are scenery objects so you should be able to click on them and delete them unless they are locked on a layer. It's been awhile since I used them, I admit. If that's the case, you can unlock the layer and delete them, and even delete the layer afterwards. I can't remember if deleting the layer directly will delete them.

These are scenery objects so you should be able to click on them and delete them unless they are locked on a layer. It's been awhile since I used them, I admit. If that's the case, you can unlock the layer and delete them, and even delete the layer afterwards. I can't remember if deleting the layer directly will delete them.

They're locked in a separate layer, all of which start with the prefix 'tmr-'. The Basemapz are located in the layer 'tmr-basemapz'.

That is looking good...

I'm not sure if you get rid of the grid, or simply paint grass (or another texture) over it...

Congrats on being covid free! - can we come & visit?

Colin

That is a really cool project you found to work on. :) Your fiddle yard extension compliments the showroom part of the layout nicely.

Thanks very much John. It seemed really strange to me to have everything else explained in reasonable detail in the instructions/wiki and then at the end to say 'delete the basemap' without any explanation as to how to do it. It would be considered strange for a car manual to give detailed instructions down to the last nut and bolt to tell you how to remove the engine from your car and then have right at the end of the page 'now dismantle your engine' without a word how to do it. Sometimes writers of instructions need to take a step back and remember the first time they ever did the task they are writing about.

They're locked in a separate layer, all of which start with the prefix 'tmr-'. The Basemapz are located in the layer 'tmr-basemapz'.

Thanks Jordon.

That is looking good...

That is a really cool project you found to work on. :) Your fiddle yard extension compliments the showroom part of the layout nicely.

Thanks Colin and Bob.

Congrats on being covid free! - can we come & visit?

You'd be surprised just how many people have said that to me lately Colin.

Last edited:
This is an excellent project, Annie, and one I made "in real life" as a small exhibition layout to show how everyone has room for a model railway. My version used a computer program to select the order in which to assemble the rolling stock for shunting, the secret being to limit the number of vehicles which could be held on each siding.

By basemap, I presume that you mean the plan over which you laid the tracks. If it is on a separate layer, you ought to be able to delete that layer without problems. Then if you wish to isolate the layout and place it in a model railway room, you need to use digholes to remove unwanted parts of the grid - on a separate layer - and hide it. You can then add walls, a floor, baseboard edge or supports, and so on. Assets for creating a room with atmosphere are on the DLS - a lot by itareus prefixed C+ MR ... and some by myself prefixed DDD MR ....

Someone recently suggested a need for a model railway simulation (or virtual model railway) manual.

If you have any questions, fire away! I have some experience in this niche area. And a nice picture of Tewkesbury Abbey for the backdrop!

Well done.

Ray

My apologies, Annie, I've just seen your ideas for a layout in a shed in you Litho Coaches thread - so you obviously already know all about it!

I love the idea of a shed - here's one customer when you start production!

Ray

Thanks Ray. I did manage to delete the basemap without messing anything up thanks to the excellent help and advice from members of this forum. The next stage will be removing the unwanted bits with digholes and installing the floor which should be interesting. I've figured out how the layers work now so hopefully I'll be able to make good progress from now on.
When I found your Tewkesbury Abbey backscene I knew at once that was the one I wanted even if the probability of there being a very minor light railway's small goods yard nearby was very slim. The wooden planked walls are reskins on itareus's meshes and I did a batch of six of them and uploaded them to the DLS. My aim is to build a small layout in a not very large shed rather than a brick or block basement just to try something different. A.R. Walkley's little layout is absolutely perfect for this as I like shunting puzzles.
I agree about the need for a proper manual as while I figured everything out eventually there wasn't a great deal of information to go on. And thank you for your offer of help and advice should I get stuck and not know what to do.

My apologies, Annie, I've just seen your ideas for a layout in a shed in you Litho Coaches thread - so you obviously already know all about it!

I love the idea of a shed - here's one customer when you start production!

Ray

No need to apologise Ray. I got the wind in my sails and got quite a bit done today. Sheds and model railways seem to go together here in NZ where basement layouts are a rarity, - so that's why I thought I'd build a shed.

Last edited:
You might like to know that itareus also made some pictures for the walls of the railway room, and I made some replicas of railway signs. These seem not to have been sent to the DLS. One of my pictures which might please you is of the current station at Holt on the Poppy Line, M&GN. But that may not have been uploaded either. I must check.

I made a "real" model railway shed many years ago. I would love to make a virtual one now so I'll be off to the DLS.

Ray

Last edited:
... i love those tiny dioramas with shunting puzzles in a short distance ... most respect kotangagirl ...
grtz
daveric

... i love those tiny dioramas with shunting puzzles in a short distance ... most respect kotangagirl ...
grtz
daveric
Thank you very much Daveric. I've always been keen on shunting too.

Getting there, not too long before I call it done and dusted. Walkley Sidings is for TS2012 in case anyone was wondering.

EHy4uGR.jpg

39DPuJM.jpg

1cAEt43.jpg

vQorq5q.jpg

ArPicGU.jpg

gC4uDn6.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Annie you are in full flow with the building, great job!

Thanks very much Graham, praise from you as one of sensei of Trainz model railways means a lot.
With Walkley Sidings having been based on a 1925 design I kept it all pretty simple and even used some older low resolution textures and grass models to give a nod towards the original layout having being completely handmade from basic materials.

You might like to know that itareus also made some pictures for the walls of the railway room, and I made some replicas of railway signs. These seem not to have been sent to the DLS. One of my pictures which might please you is of the current station at Holt on the Poppy Line, M&GN. But that may not have been uploaded either. I must check.

I made a "real" model railway shed many years ago. I would love to make a virtual one now so I'll be off to the DLS.

Ray

My very first model railways were built in a sleepout my Dad converted from his old workshop shed so that's where I got my shed bug from Ray.

Pictures are something I'm thinking about so be prepared to see some Broad Gauge ones once I start digging through my archives. I have a few images of old cast iron railway company signs so it would be nice to get some of those sorted out for use in a model railway room.

Absolutely superb!
Does your cat pefer tea or coffee in his mug? Would he like some biscuits, maybe? And be careful with that mug balanced over the track.
Now, I wonder what other classic layouts there are ...
Ray

Speaking of tea and biscuits Ray I think a teapot, a kettle and a biscuit tin would be good additions to Trainz Model Railways. Id like to see more books for the bookshelves too in the form of a basic cuboid mesh that has been textured to look like the spines of several books that can be positioned on a shelf.
I'm already thinking about other possibilities for layouts Ray. The second hand copy of 'Narrow Gauge Adventure' by P.D.Hancock I'd purchased arrived today and I'm studying that with a view to modelling 'Craigshire'. But first I want to have a go at making a Metropolitan Railway terminus of Graham's barebones 'Minories' layout.

Suggestions noted, Annie, without early promises as I seem to be concentrating on scenic additions at the moment to turn Brmleigh into at least the start of a conventional route.
Talking of coffee, I seem to have missed my morning mug and couple of biscuits.
Ray

I've had a quick go at a coffee pot - it seems to be fairly easy so maybe ...

Ray

Nice work Ray. No pressure or anything, but it certainly would be good to see more typical model railway room 'clutter' being available for Trainz.

I finally hunted down an unknown dependency that somehow sneaked into Walkley Sidings. I'd gone through all the dependent asset listings and couldn't find it so I took a large red flag model, cloned it and gave it the kUID number of the unknown dependency. That made it very easy to find so I deleted the red flag with extreme prejudice and now Walkley Sidings is error free and just about ready to upload to the DLS.

Back