editing existing routes in TRS19

john2002

When you edit routes you've installed from the DLS or third party sources in TRS19 to your liking, do overwrite the original route with the edit you made? Or do you make a duplicate with the edits you made? I'm having the desire to do a remastered version of seaboardgp38's "My World", replacing roads, adding more scenery, replacing grade crossings, adding gradients, etc.

When you edit routes you've installed from the DLS or third party sources in TRS19 to your liking, do overwrite the original route with the edit you made? Or do you make a duplicate with the edits you made? I'm having the desire to do a remastered version of seaboardgp38's "My World", replacing roads, adding more scenery, replacing grade crossings, adding gradients, etc.

You duplicate the route, since the original route was the authors.

When you edit routes you've installed from the DLS or third party sources in TRS19 to your liking, do overwrite the original route with the edit you made?

Your choice. If you think there is a reason for keeping the original route, then clone it and work on the clone. But remember that the original can always be downloaded from the DLS again at any time, so if you aren't likely to go back to that original then just change it as required. Third party sites might disappear, but you can keep the original CDP file you downloaded as the backup.

For what it is worth, here is my Rookie method:

Almost all routes are immediately cloned after download. Name for the clone always includes the start of the original title and something to signify edit.

For example, you download "Bridge&Tunnel RR." You would make a copy and name it, "Bridge&Tunnel John2002." In the Edit Route dialog, you can keep the original description and add notes as you edit.

Every Route wants a Session, so saving the clone will produce one. It is a good idea to rename it from Default. In Surveyor, it will say e.g., "Bridge&Tunnel John2002 - Default," but in other lists it would show only as Default. Much easier to work with if renamed. For example, "Bridge&Tunnel John2002 Edit Session." Then delete the one named Default.

Any editing done after that, use the Edit Session. Make changes to Route, Session, etc., and then Save: Overwrite Route and Overwrite Session.

I only use the one 'Edit' Session until Route edits are complete. Any new, variety Sessions would only edit Session-specific things like Environment,Season, Consists, Industry configuration, rules.

As I said, one Rookie's method. YMMV.

Regards,

Blabsky

I do a similar thing. A downloaded route I want to edit has the route-name + my initials so I know it's mine. If I decide I might want to merge the route into something else, I'll use --- For Merging on the end of the name, but I will do my edits first before merging as I update the stuff I like to so I don't have to waste time later.

Now this is where I differ.

Any route editing is done on the route and not the session. Sessions are dynamic, meaning they can change at any time even though we can do the same functions. If I replace trees, track, buildings, etc. It's done on the route. I only edit the session when it comes time to configuring portals, industries (if I do that), signals, ATLS crossings, and finally setup my driver rules. This is true even with the UDS available in Platinum and up through Plus.

I have found keeping the setup this way prevents stuff from ending up in the wrong place because there have been issues with consists being on the route and not the session causing crashes in the past, and knowing how things go here I'll continue the better safe than sorry mode until this is proven not to be the case. This is actually very similar to the same method of editing I have used since TRS2009 and it's worked out well for the past 12 years at least.

i'm surprised no one made a CSX Nahunta Sub/Florida Funnel that wasn't so abysmally not to scale (that's the problem with Chrisracer8903's, it's so bad it can't even fit long trains and it's almost like a HO scale replica without the HO scale vibes)

I thought that cloning was automagic. Whenever I have edited a route with an issue and clicked save, it has created a new one with my KUID, so I did not know there was any way to edit and save the original.

I've been adding prefixes to route names when I edit a route created by someone else. Such as:
ab Bridge&Tunnel RR If I make significant changes
ac Bridge&Tunnel RR If I just make small changes

These prefixes also put the routes that I'm working on near the top of the alphabetical list of routes. I prefix the routes I create with
"aa " to put them at the very top of the list. I haven't used the clone feature hardly at all.

I hope I'm using the terminology correctly: Edit, Clone, Copy whatever produces a route with your User ID whether there is any changes or not. That's what I meant, immediately cloned. Sometimes I don't make changes until later.

I "edit the Session, not the Route" (which is actually my way into any route editing) because...well, pware.

Back