Catzilla Vs. Model Train Layout

I have cats thanks to my mother and I keep them out of my bedroom that has O-Gauge train layout. A cat dropped a train car and broke it.

I can relate.

When I had my last N-scale layout setup, my cats walked in and stole stuff and did other damage. One took a string of coaches and a locomotive downstairs and left them in the kitchen. I blamed my 4 year-old nephew who was living with us at the time. The next day it was another train and a building. My sister defended him saying it wasn't him. Since she used to lie, I didn't believe her until one day I caught my late cat Lulu carrying a boxcar and a locomotive downstairs!

Her sister Lili climbed up under the layout and pulled on my wires I had spent a day wiring up for the various blocks - this was before DCC was readily available and many people couldn't afford it so we were mostly still using the Atlas block system. Yes. There she was reaching up with her paws and pulling on the wires and even hanging on them as if to break them, and sure enough she did because I spent hours afterwards fixing the broken connections.

More recently, not rail related, but musical instrument related, my sister's cat destroyed my clavichord by messing inside and destroying the bridge. The clavichord cost over $10,000 used back in 2006 and this damaged cause the bridge to shatter after a bunch of strings broke at once. I now need to replace the bridge and replace 126 strings by hand. These are all brass wire of various gauges that need to be twisted carefully to make the loop and then twisted around the tuning pins one at a time.

As lovely as cats can be, they can be destructive as well.

Last edited:
Time for a bump and to go across the pond to Germany and outside to the Garden

Time for some outdoor cats vs. model trains - a multi-part series.
Part 1:

Part 6

Note: This thread is now open to anyone to post videos of cats on model train layouts, whether they're indoor layouts or outdoor layouts, whether they're Z or G, or any scale in between. Just one rule: No cats versus real trains. We don't want to see cats getting killed.

Heck, there's even a cafe in Osaka, Japan called Diorama Cafeteria, where stray cats knock over what I believe are Japanese HO scale trains, maybe they're N scale idk

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention, I used to have the Bachmann N scale Yard Boss starter set, It was fun and all, until my cat coughed up a hairball ON THE FREAKING RAILS, which ruined the locomotive's mechanism bc it ran into the hairball

lol i just wasted your time scrolling

Last edited:
Back