I'm Lost, Please Help.

goose342

I just downloaded trainz 2019 gold membership. I've gone into play some routes that require loading and offloading goods. I go to the tool menu to select edit train, but all I have is (pause,find object,surveror mode, and driver mode). Am I missing something. If I go into surveyor mode to load the goods under the edit properties (?) I lose progress to the session. Please help.:'(

Last edited:
This is correct for the interface in Trainz-Plus. This is the Unified Driver and Surveyor interface which allows you to jump between Driver and Surveyor and vice versa on the fly. This is paused by default when switching due to AI still running uncontrollably in Surveyor when jumping out of Driver. During the pause, we can edit and make changes, like adjusting track or something, without the AI getting in the way. This is great for testing while building your own routes.

Now in your case, you shouldn't need to edit the consists in this fashion and instead you should be picking up the goods at the industries as specified by the session instructions. By exiting to the Surveyor-mode, you are in fact "cheating", and this is why your progress points are lost.

Thanks for replying so quickly Jcitron. I was on the (Innter Kohn Necktion NG railroad session when trying to load logs. So there was no automation of any kind there. Which leaves me to another point. When I go from driver mode to surveyor mode everything stops no animation that continues while in surveyor mode. Is that a setting I must check. Thanks again for your help. Trainz has brought me back to my childhood and loving every minute of it.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying so quickly Jcitron. I was on the (Innter Kohn Necktion NG railroad session when trying to load logs. So there was no automation of any kind there. Which leaves me to another point. When I go from driver mode to surveyor mode everything stops no animation that continues while in surveyor mode. Is that a setting I must check. Thanks again for your help. Trainz has brought me back to my childhood and loving every minute of it.

You're welcome. We strive for good customer service here in the forums. :)

I'll let the others discuss the route and the sessions; it's been awhile since I've run them, but Phil Skene (philskene) does provide some instructions on where to spot the cars for auto-loading and unloading.

The pause is the correct. You need to unpause going from either Surveyor to Driver or the other way around. As I said, this is intentional due to running AI doing things while you are trying to fix things. Believe me this is quite aggravating like having a bunch of kids fooling around and getting into stuff while you're trying to put something together. Instead of fixing the problem, you find yourself looking after the AI as they get in your way, or go off and do something else. When the UDS was first released, this was one of the first requests we made almost immediately so if you jump from Driver to Surveyor, unpause if you want the animation (note somethings aren't animated in Surveyor, but are in Driver), and when you go back to Driver, press the P-key to start things up again.

I agree Trainz has done that for me as well. I said to another local Trainzer friend of mine we can only imagine what it would've been like having this when we were young. This is stuff that we could only dream about back then. As you gain experience with the program, you'll find that the only limit you have is your imagination, disk space, and computer power.

Thanks 1611mac with open sandbox sims sometimes you wonder if its a bug or by design. I did read on the description about load master, yard master I guess I was alittle confused when I read it. Thanks for your help.

And Thanks again Jcitron for the explanation on Driver/Surveyor modes. It definitely would feel like taking care of kids while trying to work. It has taking me roughly 2 years to jump on board with Trainz because of all of the negative review that people would point out about this or the other. I am so glad to have finally jumped onboard. I'm 50 now and It's been along time since my childhood. And this is bringing it all back again. Once I figure out alot of the different assets and how to do things in surveyor mode that is where I will probably spend most of my time. Approach Medium has given me alot of inspiration on route building. Along with alot of other youtubers. And this forum. Thanks again for all your help. I'm glad to see there are good people in here help the cause. Have a nice day.:)

342 --

Dispatcher here. So you have followed the link given by 1611? And in particular my Post #3, this one:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...er-Kohn-Necktion-Railroad-Model-Trainz-Layout

And watched the youtube video, this one:

The exact location of "Edit Trains" moves from version to version of TRS19. It's always accessible from the top left of the screen. I don't have the Platinum version -- I believe in this version it may be buried somewhere in one of the menus.

And, yes, I expect all my crews to multi task. And work in all conditions -- summer and winter. Sun, rail, hail and snow. Night and day. And to work out how to do best do the sequence of events, the cuts of the freight cars, ... . And don't expect a pat on the back. We don't work like that. But maybe, if you have done well, we will share a coffee and a yarn once your shift is over.

Dispatcher out.

Last edited:
That was the exact video I was following of yours to figure out what I was doing wrong. And It must be as you say "Edit Trains" moves from version to version of TRS19 because It's not in this version. so I have been resorting to surveyor mode to edit properties for loading. It's odd they would'nt keep it in all versions though. Seems handy so that you would'nt have to exit driver mode. Thank You philskene for helping me.

And It must be as you say "Edit Trains" moves from version to version of TRS19 because It's not in this version.

It's not in your version because you don't need it - if you move from running the session to editing it, then you should be able to resume the session when you return to it. If that's not happening for you the it might be because the session is still paused when you return - what happen if you unpause it?

Thanks SailorDan, I have been unpausing it. and I have been able to go back and forth from Driver mode to Surveyor mode but if in a session and I go to surveyor mode I will lose progress points. I just dont have the ability to edit trains while in Drive mode.

Last edited:
In Platinum and Plus, edit trains is found in Surveyor mode. Use TOOLS menu to go to surveyor. Click the round "handbrake" icon (the bottom icon) found on the right hand edge of screen. You are now in "edit trains." Note that your Edit Trains panel looks like the one in the video embedded above. Follow the video showing how to use the Edit Trains panel.

1611 --

Thanks for that information. Sigh -- I should go back and update all my posts, adding your words under that video.

342 --

If, by some chance, you do actually like that little layout I do have other TRS19 routes, layouts and sessions on the Download Station. I do a reasonably detailed write up for each. To find my posts do an Advanced Search of the Forums, thus:

Advanced%20Search.jpg

Phil

OR - to find Phil's routes (and many others) you can use the in game Content Manager. Launch TRS19 and from the Launch Window select "Manage Content." Click the arrow to the left of "Filter." Click on "Installed" and then when the installed filter shows set it to "False". On the far right of this selection option will be a PLUS sign. Click it to add another filter option. On the left drop down menu select "Author" and enter "philskene." You will now see all of Phil's assets. On the right click the PLUS sign again and set Category to Routes. There they are!

You will learn that the CM (Content Manager) is very important to finding problems/errors with assets and fixing them and it's very important in the maintaining of your assets. Make it your friend. I have all kinds of custom filters setup.

Oh, and make sure you add all columns to the CM. Click in the column header bar and add all possible columns. (By default, they don't all show.) They all come in handy.

Thanks everyone, You guys are a wealth of knowledge. (1611mac) I had know idea you could do that in (content Manager) wow thats going to come in handy. And (Philskene) I'm already downloading some of your routes. I think you have a gift as a route creator. Thanks again guys for all your help. Hopefully one day I too will gain knowledge about Trainz so that I may pass it on as well.

Back