AI and Physics

Volusia

My research on the web says that AI works like DCC mode. Is this still the way AI works?

I want my trains to respect physics in AI so they slow down going up hill.

Thanks

Interesting: Time ago, or up to 09, a train would slow down and even stop if the grade was severe and there were many cars. Just as it should. The effect was somewhat realistic. On subsequent iterations, I guess, locos got more power and I did not noticed the effect anymore, until today that you mention it.

Take two identical consists, make the lead one AI, then try to keep up with it, you will need three prime movers to match the AI's power. Been there, done it.

Hi All
The AI does use the DCC/Simple Controls mode physics to operate. There are a few reasons for this, but the main ones are to affect performance as little as possible (realistic mode physics are fairly performance intensive), and also to make their operation as reliable as possible.

However the exact physics you see does depend on the enginespec of the locomotives and wagons. Simple Controls mode does take into account train weight, gradient, etc but in a simplified form compared to realistic mode. This does mean that correctly configured trains should operate reasonably similarly in both Simple and Realistic controls modes, it won't be identical but it should be reasonably similar.

Regards

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Zec, can you clarify what you mean by this statement "his does mean that correctly configured trains should operate reasonably similarly in both Simple and Realistic controls modes, it won't be identical but it should be reasonably similar."?

Are you referring to something the user configures or the content creator sets up in the engines configuration files?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Zec, can you clarify what you mean by this statement "his does mean that correctly configured trains should operate reasonably similarly in both Simple and Realistic controls modes, it won't be identical but it should be reasonably similar."?

Are you referring to something the user configures or the content creator sets up in the engines configuration files?

Thanks

I took that to mean he's referring to the engine spec files. The performance is only as good as the lowest denominator and this case that would be just that.

Back