NV3 whats the future of Trees and shrubs for Trainz?

This discussion, as started by Dangavel and continued in Zec's very good post, does raise again an issue that others have made in the past. It is getting harder to create good assets for Trainz.

This is undoubtedly because the graphic display system is getting better and more demanding, along with our expectations. The assets made by creators in the early days of Trainz, when the CD contained a copy of GMax, are, for the most part, simply not good enough any more. Certainly the time involved in creating assets is growing and the required expertise is increasing. The changing standards makes it even harder for casual creators to keep up.

There could come a point when asset creation is in the hands of professionals only, and that almost certainly means increasing the cost to the end user. Crowd-sourcing and commissioning specific works will only go so far. We need another solution if we want to keep this hobby affordable.

My thoughts.

Agree .........

Last edited:
I still use cardboard shrubs, grasses and trees (the few very well made ones) in my routes. But overwhelmingly I prefer to use SpeedTrees because they do look better and have LOD. If the cardboard varieties also had LOD and met my aesthetic requirements then I would use them.

I am about to explore using TurfFX for the first time but only close to the tracks. If successful then that would largely eliminate my need for cardboard grasses.

I still use cardboard shrubs, grasses and trees (the few very well made ones) in my routes. But overwhelmingly I prefer to use SpeedTrees because they do look better and have LOD. If the cardboard varieties also had LOD and met my aesthetic requirements then I would use them.

I am about to explore using TurfFX for the first time but only close to the tracks. If successful then that would largely eliminate my need for cardboard grasses.

From experience, treat the TurfFX like grass splines and keep it close to the tracks, or in other places where it counts. The farther out from view, it disappears so it's not worth the waste of time, effort, and resources if it's not going to be seen anyway.

I agree if the carboard trees work, they're great, but from experience they are far and few between.

Back