Model Train scale question

Forester1

Hi! I want to start a route that represents a local N Gauge Model Railroad club in TS2019. When I go to create a new route, it asks for the choice of scale. My question: What are the pros/cons of selecting N scale versus just real scale? Does it have to do with non-railroad objects in the room(s) represented, or with the size of things like valences or,or what? Everything has to scale to the actual trains, trackage and rolling stock anyway right? Does it change the physics of anything? What exactly would selecting N scale do to my layout different than using the default natural scale?

Note: I did find a thread posting from 2006 that said that everything stays the same size, just the ruler you measure them with changes. So if I am using rulers and gauges, these would be different if I choose N gauge?

The post of 2006 is still correct. Only the rulers change.

So unless you need those (to copy a rail plan you have for example) there is no use to change. All assets stay the same size.

Glad to see that you are giving model railways a go :)

I usually work in 'real scale' and only use other scales if needed.
Most of the room fittings and baseboard eges are made for OO/HO so will be out of scale for N.

One thing that you will learn is that the smaller the layout, the harder the job.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Some time ago I made some room fittings so that the usual Trainz assets would appear to be N scale. I gave up the project as there appeared to be no interest at that time. They were scaled up versions of my UK 1:76 scale items - table, chair, etc. to set the scene..
Ray

Hi Forester1. The current model railroad project I'm on is in N scale. In like it, you get alot of room to work and you dont have to worry as much about the curves. Has its disadvantages though, you get alot of space with 3ft in N scale. Almost too much. As for the ruler, useful for the layout room and bench work, but after that the scale makes it hard to use the ruler and get precise measurements. Advise to use the ruler to map out your room, then paint the floor and benchwork. use standard grey for yourbench work and a general dirt or grass paint for your bench work. This way you have a visual idea of what the bench work looks like before putting down dig holes or cutting out the floor.

Bear in mind, I'm still working this out too, so I'm right there with you.

Good luck with your project! Loon forward to seeing it in the screenshot thread :)

Edit- swoops, meant grey for the floor and grass for the bench work.

Thanks all. Bob_Ross, I am just trying to lay track on the baseboard for starters. I don't don't know how to create the tables yet, but i would have a lot of measuring to do. They have a fairly large room and it goes around three walls with a big penninsula in the middle of one wall that juts out in an L shape and has a divider with scenes on both sides. I will have to try to get a picture of the layout I just realized all I have is close-ups! :D Trying to get just the right trackage and lay it in the right directions is tricky in and of itself... I know those N-gauge guys run 'em whichever, but I am laying the double outside tracks so they are US directions.

Back