Layout Critique

Thanks to the lockdown, I have had much more time to spend doing the things I want to do, such as playing trainz and modeling. I have finally got to work on a project I've been wanting to do for a very, very long time. Almost a decade as a matter of fact. I am working on a full scale layout of the AWVR from Milesburg to Fuller. The past week, I made the Milesburg yard where the movie begins. Here are some screenshots of the yard so far.

Before posting below, my purpose of posting is for critiques from anyone who has better skill than me at route building. I thrive off criticism and would love to hear anything that I can do better. The yard is still in the works, so there is a ton of room for improvement. The map was made by using google earth and in-game rulers of the railyard in Brewster, OH.

https://postimg.cc/CnLTNY1P

https://postimg.cc/crCGtsP6

https://postimg.cc/CnKX8NP9

https://postimg.cc/py0gHwyv

It's been a very long time since I posted anything to the forum so I forgot how to post images, I hope these work

It's coming along. Flat I suppose like Texas in parts.

I would vary the trees a bit because they look like they've been planted. You might want to put some bushes along the edges, and mix them up a bit too. How about foliage around the houses? Check out RMM's trees on the DLS. He has some flowering bushes and that which look good near the houses as well as some other great trees that work well for that region.

Your track work is great!

To post images, you can use a service such as www.imgur.com

You create a new post, no need to create and account, upload your pic, and then get the share link. You choose the one for the BB forums. Copy that and paste it here.

I admire your courage in tackling a real route, especially a route of any length, getting the topography right is only the first hurdle ! There are ways and means of getting map data in a format Trainz can understand it and then generating Trainz terrain using the data, always useful even if the prototype is near flat, there will always be small features like culverts that are easily missed. But I guess you have already decided and started onto the terrain side of things.

As John said the trackwork is fine, are you using some kind of fixed markers to achieve this ? I also echo Johns remarks about trees and bushes.

Not having first hand experience of American railways and their environs I can't be sure but do you always have streets of near identical buildings running at 90 degrees to the tracks ? From what I can see most of your buildings are old models and simple boxes with textures applied. I would try to find a few better buildings for close to the tracks and keep the simpler ones for the distance (more complex when LOD is used to make a buliding or other asset).

Good luck !

Off to a marvelous start! As the two above have said, you can vary the sizes and types and spacing of trees, as well as rotating them as you put them down, so they look more natural. Also any native shrubs, wildflowers, and grasses. In the third photo, it reminds me of a brand new post-war subdivision that no one has moved into yet. This is all eventual detailing work but trees, shrubs, garden spots, play equipment, bicycles, cars, pets, pickups, pools, etc., etc., etc. will make it look lived in. Again, more detailing, but in the last shot sidewalks, trash receptacles, newspaper stands, parking lots and parking lot striping, parked cars, bicycle racks, almost anything you can think of to make it lived in.

Congratulations! i think you have started a great work!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, so trees, buildings, and topography are the biggest concerns. What kinds of shrubbery would be best to use, so I could search and download. I used a spline for the houses and buildings, they'll be replaced.

Hi td,

Looks like you are off to a great start and now its time for details. Be sure to put sidewalks and streetlights and other municipalia along the commercial street. Trees have to be varied and placed at different orientations, but I can appreciate this your first draft to get a feel for the forestation.

Back