What’s the difference between slow and restricting?

I never understood the difference between slow and restricting, they basically mean slow down to 15 MPH, I know in certain times slow can be 20 MPH but that is in rare instances. Is there really any difference between them?

So slow in the United States say slow approach or slow clear. Here in Canada the equivalent CROR would be slow to stop, or slow to clear.

Those rules basically would be proceed at slow speed (usually 15MPH) through switches and prepare to stop at next signal or continue at track speed depending on the signal above. Of course there are others like slow to slow, slow to limited, clear to slow, etc. etc.

Restricting usually is the same for both sides of the border. It is also often used when getting out of CTC and entering dark territory, a yard, or even a siding that is not bonded or detectable by the dispatcher or signal system.

The rule is identical to RULE 105 territory under CROR in which you may proceed at no more than 15 MPH to half the distance of visibility, or an obstruction.

So the idea behind 105 or dark territory is it's up to the operator to restrict their movement to not run into another train or derail due to a switch etc. This is often used for return to train functions and I believe switching features. Switching features in Canada at least CN allow a crew to continue to work a yard and pass by a control point without bugging the dispatcher for a light. It's like a fleet mode (automatically clears) to allow movement and switching to continue.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Sean

I never understood the difference between slow and restricting, they basically mean slow down to 15 MPH, I know in certain times slow can be 20 MPH but that is in rare instances. Is there really any difference between them?

What Sean said is correct, but just to add some details...

Slow is a prescribed speed - usually 15 MPH regardless.

Restricting speed isn't really a speed at all - it's an operational methodology, but there's a caveat attached to it that will say "not exceeding XX MPH." If a crew is to operate at restricted speed, they must operate prepared to stop within half the range of vision, taking into account grade, curvature, weather conditions, available light, etc. Restricting speed rules and limits can be conveyed in timetables and rule books, or by bulletin order depending on circumstance.

That's correct, I'm paraphrasing. I believe for CN slow speed is defined as 15 MPH in the CROR (plenty of various rule numbers defining slow). Rule 105 in CROR is usually used for dark territory and that will also specify 15mph. You'll have to find out what the restricting signal rule is (don't know it off hand, but have read it before) and that is also 15 MPH.

This will change of course for UCOR operations with CP and many eastern U.S. routes. I believe it's 20 MPH for BNSF, UP, if I recall my Run8 operations.

I think Rule 569 CROR is another one (I could be wrong with the number as I haven't heard it in a while). The rule is given to a crew by a dispatcher to pass a stop signal (either malfunctioning or out of service no longer set as I've seen on some locations in my area like Yager to Port Colborne and Clifton south leg of wye). I know I read the rule at one point as I have a copy of the CROR laying in a box some place as a railfan, but I can't recall how it's worded.

Thanks

Sean

When operating at restricted speed if something happens the crew owns it. "Stop in half the range if vision".

Back