TRS19 and Interactive Industries: Update the Discussion in June 2020

The program works but it wasn't necessary. Apparently I was messing around with Version 3 of ProtoLars Industrail not Industrail V4.1

To me 3 seems more advanced since it has all those features, and works fine in 2019. I was able to modify it with no issues since it already comes with the proper txt files in that version. V4.1 is actually a longer track as well, where V3 seems to fit in smaller areas no problem.

Was able to do a test on Grain and it worked like a charm over on V4.1 so I'm going to do the same with Version 3 in a tutorial that hopefully will help others.

Thanks for your help. Going to quickly live stream a quick tutorial.

Thanks

Sean

That's good to here. Save your batch, if you created one, for other assets that'll need it as it happens occasionally with older built-ins should you import them and sometimes with other assets imported from elsewhere.

I did forget to mention that the assets need to be opened for edit prior to running the batch. You know that of course, but in case others happen upon this thread that note is there.

Actually I didn't bother creating a batch file as I only had the two I was going to change. I'm getting confused between version 3 and 4.1 but that is no big deal as the modified asset I'm using now is all I will likely need for this.

Interesting little program though as I did manage to convert the two files (wound up not needing it when I was on the wrong version). Apparently you can edit the graphics on it as well. Wondering where that might come in handy? There will come a time I may want to toy around with custom assets in either 2D or eventually 3D. But I have too much on the plate for now.

Thanks

Sean

July is here, and June was filled with
experimentation,
frustration, some education, and little gratification. Heh.

Having little historical perspective on Trainz development has a detrimental effect on sorting through the "dizzying array." Much of the new stuff works great. Some of the older things work better than others. Some versions have more usable options. Some things don't work for me at all.

The two different issues the original post addressed were using interactive industries in route building and while exploring built-in or dl'd routes. Route building affords the opportunity to carefully tailor industries for operation. There's certainly a wide variety, enough to seemingly do whatever and however.

Exploring other railroads can be very challenging, depending on their construction. Many of the older and built-in industries have non-alterable configurations. Most other industries are configured in the Session layer; if the route is without an author's session there may be little clue as to how to approach them. Some routes have industry tracks that are hidden by scenery (there's a way around that).

And then there's the freight cars. This took the most time to reconcile, and is certainly an ongoing project. I've got picklists with industry-related samples of 'wagons' that will work. ( Look for another thread on Interactive Freight Wagons/Boxcars/etc.)

All hail Content Manager! In addition to creating picklists, viewing the dependencies and dependents of Routes, Sessions, Industries, Commodities, and Rolling Stock unlocks many secrets.

Any progress is good. In addition to a couple little routes I'm Surveying, I've revisited a lot of downloaded routes to use some new knowledge in approaching their interactive industries. Thanks to the content creators and veteran advisors for their contributions.

Back