Any good Southern US routes?

dylanengineer

As the title states, are there any good Southern US routes on the DLS or 3rd Party? I already have The Loops and Coal Country and was wondering if there are any other routes like those.

Dave Snow's Cotton Belt might be something you'd like. It depicts the mid-South Arkansas, Missouri countryside pretty well.

Are you talking BK (before kudzu) or AK (after kudzu)? For those of you that aren't familiar with kudzu, it is an invasive vine brought to America to help control erosion in the 1950s. Sadly it really likes the hot and humid weather of the SE USA and grew to blanket pretty much anything that couldn't run away. Dmdrake made some kudzu covered trees for TRS2004 but they look horrible in new Trainz versions.

There aren't a lot on the DLS that are not for TRS2004 or TRS2006 which means they require reworking to make them look good in modern versions of Trainz.

The user leeferr has some routes like that that have the right look for the southern states and are fun to run. Msgsapper has a FEC route that is up to date for at least TANE.

William

Jrfolco has his Arkansas and Missouri railway on the DLS. It claims to be prototypical, and is a very nice looking route. There is also the Clovis to Lubbock Texas route. Very well done.
I should also mention the Levi & Appalachian route by Thai1On. It is set in the WWI era if you like to run steam, but you are not limited in what you can run on it.

Last edited:
To clarify, I'm looking for routes where I can run SOU/N&W equipment. Any time era (BK or AK) would be nice.

Last edited:
Check out PacificTrainz. Their city route and IUR series is based on Georgia and Florida. Also look up the Corpus Christi Terminal on the DLS.

Check out PacificTrainz. Their city route and IUR series is based on Georgia and Florida. Also look up the Corpus Christi Terminal on the DLS.

Hello, I'm not familiar with PacificTrainz. Things look a little dated. (Such as Merry Christmas on home page.) Is the site still posting new content and updated content as stated in the route descriptions?

Hello, I'm not familiar with PacificTrainz. Things look a little dated. (Such as Merry Christmas on home page.) Is the site still posting new content and updated content as stated in the route descriptions?
I don't check very often but I did about a week or two ago and they had announced a new route, I don't remember which one though.

The kudzu I've seen tangled in the trees of Alabama woods look to me a lot like the wild grape vines that are all wrapped up in the trees of the the wooded areas up in NY state. It's possible that what I thought were wild grape vines actually IS kudzo that's up north. That's some vegetation that would be real helpful for my route (but not for my property!). I didn't know that kudzu wasn't indigenous. Somebody's brilliant plan backfired ....

Last edited:
Someone in Washington State years ago got the bright idea that Scotch Broom would look good in the freeway medians. Beautiful yellow flowers in May. Oops, can't control. Now seen along the edges of most freeways and highways in Western Washington state....

I remember as a kid my dad and uncle spent lot's of money and time on the farm spraying and trying to keep Johnson Grass from taking over.

From sou.edu:

Johnsongrass originated in southern Eurasia, and was brought to the southeastern U.S. in the 1800's as a forage crop. It was named after Colonel William Johnson, who introduced this species to his fertile river bottom farm in Alabama around 1840. Today, Johnsongrass is a weed in tropical and temperate climates throughout the world, and is considered among the world's 10 worst weeds.

Up in New England we have been invaded with Japanese bittersweet vines. This vine, while being nice and green, has beautiful tiny white flowers in the spring and bright orange and red berries in the fall with yellow leaves that last well past the first snow. Sounds great. It somehow escaped whatever garden it was put in sometime ago, and now it's a pest that chokes out trees and gardens and makes everything look like garbage.

More recently, we finally got rid of the purple loose strife, aka fireweed, which grows in wetlands. It's that plant we see in marshes, near ponds, and near waterways with that bright purple sweet smelling flowers. Sounds beautiful, right! The plant was imported from Europe and planted in someone's garden in Beverly Mass. sometimes in the 1960s or 1970s. This plant sends out tiny seeds that blow around on cottony billows, and spread from the garden into the wild then completely took over the coast. The plant is also called fireweed because this invasive species is the first one to grow after a fire. More recently, within the past decade, some generic engineering finally brought it under control and it's no longer a dominant feature along the wetlands and marshes. The problem was it invaded and wiped out a lot of the native species that compete with the same environment, and this nearly wiped those out as it took over.

Mentioned above, the "BNSF: Clovis to Lubbock" route by maxworks is simply amazing. Not only does it "capture" the area, it DUPLICATES the area for the entire 100 mile route. Run the route, stop your train, and find the location on Google Map street view. The route replicates reality! Where there is a building in google there is a building in the route. A dish in someones front yard on Google? Yep, it's there in the route. An old junk tractor trailer? Yep, it's in the route. I have checked the route in multiple places and it duplicates reality everywhere I check.

See this post: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?151150-BNSF-Clovis-to-Lubbock&p=1734132#post1734132

If you download, be sure to read the official thread in order to find the dependencies.
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?151150-BNSF-Clovis-to-Lubbock

Last edited:
Mentioned above, the "BNSF: Clovis to Lubbock" route by maxworks is simply amazing. Not only does it "capture" the area, it DUPLICATES the area for the entire 100 mile route. Run the route, stop your train, and find the location on Google Map street view. The route replicates reality! Where there is a building in google there is a building in the route. A dish in someones front yard on Google? Yep, it's there in the route. An old junk tractor trailer? Yep, it's in the route. I have checked the route in multiple places and it duplicates reality everywhere I check.

See this post: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?151150-BNSF-Clovis-to-Lubbock&p=1734132#post1734132

If you download, be sure to read the official thread in order to find the dependencies.
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?151150-BNSF-Clovis-to-Lubbock
That sounds great. Very time consuming but very rewarding !

Back to the Kudzu.....I just looked at some close up pics of the vines. There is a noticeable difference in the leaves between the kudzu and wild grapes. Looks like both are common in both regions....the problem being too common.

Last edited:
Back