Trains Disappearing

jeffy88

Hello. Im sorry I post on here so much. But I'm still learning and trying to figure this out. Today as I was playing in surveyor working on a route I'm editing. The game just crashed back to the desktop screen with no errors that popped up or nothing. (I have Steam version) Now when I go back to that save I can place assets, but when I place a train or consists its not saving them. I save the game and came back to surveyor and my trains I just added where gone like I never placed them. so I ran a few tests. I thought maybe I had too many trains or consists in the world so I deleted a few Rolling stock and then went back to the save made a consist saved the game came back and it was gone. Like I never even placed it.

But the kicker is the rolling stock I deleted was not there either so it saved that. So I went and placed a few more assets such as a few buildings then saved it and they stayed went back and tried put 2 engines and some rolling stock on a track and saved came back and it was gone again for a 3rd or 4th time.

So for some reason now its not saving any trains I place. But all the ones I had placed before today (as I have been working on this a few days) are still there.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? Or maybe know a fix?

Thanks

Hello. Im sorry I post on here so much.

12 posts is nowhere near "so much". Look at my post count! My critics would claim that that is too much.

I save the game and came back to surveyor and my trains I just added where gone like I never placed them. so I ran a few tests. I thought maybe I had too many trains or consists in the world so I deleted a few Rolling stock and then went back to the save made a consist saved the game came back and it was gone. Like I never even placed it.

But the kicker is the rolling stock I deleted was not there either so it saved that. So I went and placed a few more assets such as a few buildings then saved it and they stayed went back and tried put 2 engines and some rolling stock on a track and saved came back and it was gone again for a 3rd or 4th time.

The most common cause of this issue is confusion over Routes, Sessions and Layers. For example. You load a Session into surveyor and start adding trains, buildings, trees, etc. You save and exit. The next time you start Trainz you load the Route only and immediately notice that all the recent work you did has gone.

This is because when you load a Session into Surveyor it also, naturally, loads the Route as well BUT the first layer in the Session is the active layer and that is where all the assets you add are placed. When you save, those assets are saved in the Session, not the Route. So when you load only the Route then those assets are not present. If you loaded the Session again, they would be present.

The Trainz Wiki has a guide to all of this at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Layers

12 posts is nowhere near "so much". Look at my post count! My critics would claim that that is too much.

The most common cause of this issue is confusion over Routes, Sessions and Layers. For example. You load a Session into surveyor and start adding trains, buildings, trees, etc. You save and exit. The next time you start Trainz you load the Route only and immediately notice that all the recent work you did has gone.

This is because when you load a Session into Surveyor it also, naturally, loads the Route as well BUT the first layer in the Session is the active layer and that is where all the assets you add are placed. When you save, those assets are saved in the Session, not the Route. So when you load only the Route then those assets are not present. If you loaded the Session again, they would be present.

The Trainz Wiki has a guide to all of this at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Layers

ok thanks. Ill look into it. But I never go into a session I always go into the route its self to do the work.

I too suspect wrong layer. Double check that the route layer is highlighted and when you're saving, that you are saving the route. However, bear in mind, having rolling stock in the route is rather a bad idea, because when you come to make separate sessions, you are stuck with all that rolling stock you've added to the route.

jeffy88 - Make sure you are "observing" things carefully when starting, saving, and using surveyor. Things used to be simple but since UDS (Unified Driver System) came along I still end up with craziness. I open a session, drive, save by OVERWRITING SESSION or saving NEW SESSION and before I know it I somehow have additional routes, not sessions. I'm still trying to learn what is goin on. I try to check LAYERS in sessions every time I make a change or save but I sometimes forget and things go wrong. I have sessions instead of routes, or, routes instead of sessions. I trust one day, if I just keep observing and thinking, I'll discover what I'm doing wrong. (And I've read many posts about this issue but I still don't get what's happening.) It should not be so difficult to save an in progress "game" without creating routes and sessions. (Yes, I know, a saved game is now a new session.)

There should be a "save game" option or something where you can just repeated hit save and KNOW that you are saving the progress of the current session and have firm knowledge that you are not saving a new route or new session. These saved games should be in a 3rd level (under "sessions") as they were before UDS. I know a saved game is a new session but separate terminology would certainly help in all this. I can't imagine coming to TRS19 as a brand new user and trying to understand Routes, Sessions, Layers and lack of being able to "save a game" in progress.

Last edited:
Back