Why does the METRA F40-C refuse to stop at stations?

janathan

Was the real F40-C infamous for poor braking or something? For all other METRA locomotives I've downloaded, I place a trackmark at the end of the platform (I've always had mixed results with industry-enabled stations).
Then, I'd give the train the following messages:

Drive to: (trackmark name)
Wait for: 10 seconds
Open doors: Right
Wait for: 20 seconds
Close doors: Right
Wait for: 10 seconds

But for some reason, only the F40-C won't stop. It just idles through the station, opening the doors while the train is still moving, closing the doors while the train is still moving, then continuing on as if nothing happened.

Seriously, if the real F40-C had THIS poor braking, it's no wonder why it's so rare, because it would suck at passenger service. I've seen real trains (in New Jersey at least) approach a station at 80 mph and still make it to 0 by the end of the platform.

I've tried replacing the engine spec with an SD40-2 Engine Spec, but stopping is still a foreign concept to this locomotive. How can I make this locomotive stop faster?

I have comparable problems with SRSTrainz's C44-9Ws and SD60Ms where they refuse to go over 42 MPH and accelerate incredibly slowly in DCC mode and command mode (not in Cab Mode though)

There's no doubt that some of the older engines have poorer engine specs than the newer ones, however, that's not always the cause of not slowing down at stations with track marks instead of an actual interactive station.

Having a driver drive to a track mark, is the equivalent of telling a driver to drive to "about there". This means the driver can end up on either side of the track mark and sometimes on the track mark, but mostly about the vicinity of it.

To avoid that problem, slowing down the train before the station by putting in gradually slower speed limits as the driver approaches a station helps since the AI doesn't have to reach for the breaks quickly to stop at the track mark unlike an interactive station which will slow down the AI by taking over the control of the train when the consist arrives at the station. This is the same with other interactive industries, but in those situations you need to specify a very slow speed, usually around 5 to 10 mph, to ensure the driver does stop and load.

The SRS locomotive has another issue altogether it sounds like unrelated to the engine spec its self in the same regard as stopping at a track mark.

In the future, please provide the asset name and the KUID number. For many of us, we actually have zero clue what locomotives or trains you are talking about because there are thousands of assets on the DLS and elsewhere, and besides, there are many people who are not native to the US or Canada and wouldn't even know what these locomotives are. Keep in mind that Trainz, meaning Trainz in general and not necessarily TRS2019, is an international product with users from through out the world using it, and it's not just North American-centric.

For the issue of stopping. How about try changing the mass value in the config.txt to a smaller number? Maybe the creator put the value for the F40C at a way too high value. Since heavier things take longer to stop.

Back