This Week's Newsletter has Screenshots From The Competition 3 Weeks Ago

euromodeller

Imagineer
The newsletter this week was headlined 'New'.
Except that the screenshot competition entries shown were 'old', from an April competition, what was wrong with newer entries?

Also the six selected were all of North American scenes!
(I've nothing against North America by the way, this is about fair and more recent representation)

There was a wealth of other countries represented then and since then, but no, all ignored.
Come on N3V you can do better than that in a multi-national 'News' letter.

Last edited:
Those were the entries with the most votes from that weeks competition, voting for which only ended 1 week ago.

It has already been noted more than once that the attitude is biased towards other participants in the competition.
Screenshots of these users cannot be taken into account, since they were submitted at the end of the deadline, that is, after May 7. They should be in the next topic.

whamm0 https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...o-May-7-2020-(No-Theme)&p=1812009#post1812009

USSc1798 https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...o-May-7-2020-(No-Theme)&p=1812021#post1812021

horacefithers https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...o-May-7-2020-(No-Theme)&p=1812327#post1812327

Could it be there are more North American participants and voters? I really like to see postings from elsewhere, and I definitely vote for them if they are well done. Kotangagirl is one, Rizky is another, and I believe I have voted for others in the past. The European screenshots thread has some really awesome postings! But not many of them seem to compete. But as a sometimes competitor, I am learning that just posting a consist running along the tracks on a sunny day doesn't win very many if any votes. One really has to get creative!

Those were the entries with the most votes from that weeks competition, voting for which only ended 1 week ago.

But the Newsletter states
"This week's selection from the screenshot competition"

If it had said
"This week's winners" then that would be fair enough.

But the Newsletter states
"This week's selection from the screenshot competition"

If it had said
"This week's winners" then that would be fair enough.

Unfortunately we've been here before Graham. N3V makes most of their money from selling to the American market so screenshots from elsewhere tend to get overlooked. Same goes for screenshots from the modern error with anything historic tending to get overlooked as well.

Hi Ann! That may be true, but if so, I think it is bad marketing. Even being a yank, I am way more interested in what variety TRAINZ offers than just North American Diesels pulling North American freight. After a while that is really kind of boring. I am trying to feature more international flavors in my posts, but unfortunately sometimes it takes me FOREVER to find missing assets or fix faulty ones in the routes and assets I download. UK routes seem to unerringly have bits and pieces from S&C (Which I just missed buying on sale just for that), and the Potteries Loop. A lot of NZ/AUS stuff has payware from SirGibby, and a lot of European and eastern European and Russian routes have assets that are a great lot of work to try to find, if I even can. But maybe I am one of the odd ones out, and maybe all of the other Norte Americanos are busy building their own routes, something I have started myself and haven't given much time to. Definitely nothing ready for screenshots...

After all that, I think maybe the screenshot competition is dominated by N.A. posters and voters? Hopefully not starting flame wars...

After all that, I think maybe the screenshot competition is dominated by N.A. posters and voters? Hopefully not starting flame wars...

Yes I think that's very true, but I will also say that on the odd occasion when I've managed to fumble a really outstanding Uk screenshot that the North American Trainz guys have voted for it.

I hope to see one of your recent ones in the Newsletter! That one you posted May14-21 was excellent! A very creative arrangement of things going on!

Has the 'Screenshot Of The Week' thread been originated by N3V? I don't think so.

It appears to me to have been started by Trainz member nicky9499 and N3V have latched on to this thread and its unwitting contributors in an attempt to enhance their somewhat thin and miserable News Letter!

Rob.

Last edited:
Has the 'Screenshot Of The Week' thread been originated by N3V? I don't think so.

I very much doubt that since the screenshot competition is not a thread but a whole sub forum. Users cannot create sub forums.

It appears to me to have been started by Trainz member nicky9499 and N3V have latched on to this thread and its unwitting contributors in an attempt to enhance their somewhat thin and miserable News Letter!

The idea may have been a user suggestion and only Nicky can confirm or refute that he was the originator, he is the current convenor - I seem to remember some-one else had that role originally but I could be wrong. But does it really matter?

Of course you would expect that most of the entries would come from the places where there are the most users or the most screenshot creators. I would hate to think that other locations were given special treatment such as extra prominence simply because there were fewer users (or screenshot creators) from those areas.

As has been stated before by the editor(s) of that (QUOTE)thin and miserable newsletter(END QUOTE) the newsletter is often posted before the screenshot "winners" are announced so the screenshots have been chosen using a different set of criteria and probably by an individual, certainly not by the voters. I don't see that as a problem - except when they were incorrectly labelled as the "winners", an error N3V acknowledged.

What a lot of fuss over something that is supposed to be a bit of fun. You would think that there was a pot of prize money at stake here.

My opinions only. Feel free to disagree:)

I very much doubt that since the screenshot competition is not a thread but a whole sub forum. Users cannot create sub forums.

The idea may have been a user suggestion and only Nicky can confirm or refute that he was the originator, he is the current convenor - I seem to remember some-one else had that role originally but I could be wrong. But does it really matter?

Of course you would expect that most of the entries would come from the places where there are the most users or the most screenshot creators. I would hate to think that other locations were given special treatment such as extra prominence simply because there were fewer users (or screenshot creators) from those areas.

As has been stated before by the editor(s) of that (QUOTE)thin and miserable newsletter(END QUOTE) the newsletter is often posted before the screenshot "winners" are announced so the screenshots have been chosen using a different set of criteria and probably by an individual, certainly not by the voters. I don't see that as a problem - except when they were incorrectly labelled as the "winners", an error N3V acknowledged.

Have to agree there pware. Seems a lot of fuss over nothing really.

No argument here with that last statement, pware. I have no false hopes of winning any trophies :hehe: .My thought, and indeed my fervent hope is, that whoever selects the screenshots for the newsletter has two primary criteria: 1.) show TRAINZ in its best light, and 2.) Show the users having fun with TRAINZ. And, possibly a third: get other TRAINZ users interested in joining the fun and see what creative scenes they can create with their TRAINZ!

Thank you all for your input.

You are right of course the competition is a nothing, it's nothing that I will participate in again. My entry in this week's will be my last.

Maybe N3V could use the newsletter space for more information instead of a showcase for member's work.

Shame really, it seemed such a good place to showcase minority railways and countries.

As for being creative and putting a lot of effort into getting a screenshot, it's a waste of time.

I'm more of an opinion that its not so much a Screenshot Competition issue but more of a Newsletter issue. The content of the newsletter has diminished in content and relevance to probably the majority over the past year and we are now informed its going to become fortnightly. Is it not a case of its more trouble than its worth to N3V as shown by not acknowledging credit were due to those participating in the Screenshot Competition. Peter

Back