Why does it take so many attempts to submit changes to an asset?

janathan

While making this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fInx9hHz7OI) showing how to fix locomotives who's numbers aren't appearing properly, I came across another problem:

If you skip to around 6:13 in the video, you'll see that it took me several tries to submit the changes to the train I used for an example. In fact, this issue is getting WAY out of hand and I'm curious why they haven't fixed this issue since it emerged with Trainz Classics.

At first, it was just a minor inconvenience, but now it's out of control. Two days ago, I tried to submit changes I made to an SD40-2 I bought from Jointed Rail, so it would use a horn I made for it, but it took me TWELVE HOURS!!!!!!:n:

12 Hours of clicking on the asset and pressing, "Control, shift E" to submit the changes, just to be greeted with the dreaded, "failed to commit changes to kuid (Kuid number) due to file access error."

I tired everything! I've tried restarting the game over ten times, restarting the computer over ten times, I've even tried holding "control shift E" and clicking the asset an ungodly amount of times (I lost count at 1,000), but all that did was freze Content Manager for nearly three hours, after which, I had thousands of tabs marked, "task complete," all of which failed to submit the edits.

Also I have a problem with it saying "task complete," when the ONE thing I asked it to do, it failed at. It should say, "task failed"!

Anyway, after 12 hours of doing this, for God knows what reason, it RANDOMLY decided to work and submitted the changes with no issues... After like over a hundred attempts. Also, sometimes I see the green progress bar at the bottom of the window, but when it's about three quarters of the way finished, it stops and says it failed to submit.

I don't want to have to empty my schedule for the next twelve hours EVERY time I wanna edit something (I spend almost as much time editing as I spend playing the game), so I'd like to know what causes the game to fail to access the file. Or if there's a way for ME to access it manually, that might also be helpful.

If it's taking a very long time, then there's some serious issues with your database if not the computer its self.

How much disk space do you have?

When was the last time you defragmented your hard disk (SSDs don't count)?

Have you run an EDR?

This is most important if you have canceled anything mid-submitting of assets because that can corrupt the database and make things worse.

Okay, I tried the Extended Database Repair and it sorta worked. It only took three tries. Still, I wish it would only take ONE try. Is there a way to access the file yourself and FORCE-submit it?

Make sure you have excluded your Trainz and your local data folders from on access scanning, that can cause a commit to fail if your AV has the files open for scanning and there are a lot of them in what you are trying to commit.

If you have some auto backup thing running like for example OneDrive, pause it. See if that has effect.
Had troubles with saving in other tools because of that.

I have been having this issue from the Start of 2019!:(
It takes several attempts to get around that access Violation error and it is not the PC or any other Software interfering with the CM.
I have reinstalled Windows 10 and with no other Software running that could block the CM and it still has this issue, I also had turned completely off the Windows 10 Account Control and still issue persist.
It is a CM issue that needs to be acknowledged and Patched. Seems that the CM is not clearing it's Cache causing the Hangs.
Cheers.

I thought it was just me!
Thanks for making this thread.
It gets very frustrating when trying to submit, I can't find a method that works 100%

Things that I have tried after getting the error.
Open for editing...submit
Open In Explorer...submit
Open Config File...submit
Preview asset....submit
Open Whisky Bottle.....admit defeat

The latter method is a last resort and is best done only if you have no more Trainzing to do.

I thought it was just me!
Thanks for making this thread.
It gets very frustrating when trying to submit, I can't find a method that works 100%

Things that I have tried after getting the error.
Open for editing...submit
Open In Explorer...submit
Open Config File...submit
Preview asset....submit
Open Whisky Bottle.....admit defeat

The latter method is a last resort and is best done only if you have no more Trainzing to do.
When I'm creating an asset and making changes, I've now started Deleting the asset and then dragging the updated folder into Content Manager. This works every time.

Annoying and Time wasting yes it is!

Open Whisky Bottle.....admit defeat:D
The latter method is a last resort and is best done only if you have no more Trainzing to do.:eek:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lol with this statement, only if I did not stop Drinking Years ago, I for sure would be Drinking my choice of relief, the Rum and Coke. Lol.
:eek:

Yes that method also works, I just make a Clone of it, and it will submit everytime without a hitch. But some assets I can not make Clones and need the original with small Modifications, and they will not submit most of the times unless I click the Submit button several times and the it will finally Submit with several access error pop ups.
It is for sure a CM issue that has not been duplicated by the Dev Team, or would have been Patched by now.
Cheers.

I'm having big issues in Sp3 with revert to original, it's causing freezes if the item has been modded and there's nothing to revert to, trouble is, I can't tell which items were modded, some might have been changed 5 years ago, others I just forgot to revert to original when I looked at the config file. It's causing lots of issues when I want to find if the item was downloaded from DLS or from an external site,

Last edited:
Another issue with TRS19 I've noticed is a number of assets (including a lot of my own) show up as faulty. I've found deleting the asset then immediately re-downloading it nearly always fixes the problem.

Clearing the Cache\Internet folder contents on a regular basis can solve issues with committing stuff and things that have issues downloading. Downloads are cached in that folder which it would seem is where Manage content goes to first for a "new" download. This is a theory but I would imagine its along these lines, Download xyz, hang on there a copy in the cache, we'll install that one, oops! that's a corrupt download, never mind just mark it as faulty.....

When I am making models I drag them into TS19 every few minutes to check them, and often have this fail to commit problem. If this happens I delete the model from CM, it can take a minute or so, then drag the model back in and it usually commits as a new model quite quickly.

Ian

Hi all,
I've been looking for a solution to a problem I've been having - not being to submit asset changes in TRS19 - and found this thread.
They submit eventually but it's taking more and more tries each time I modify something. The messages I get are as follows...

TrainzAssetAccessorCached::OpenAssetFileForReading>missing file: config.chump
TrainzLockNativeFileSystem> resumable lock timeout: D:/trs19 personal/local/hash-b0/kuid..................tzarc ()
Unable to lock dest path 'D:..............................

It's the same problem every time with different assets. Version and kind don't matter.
Has anyone found any solutions to these kind of problems?
I'ma go mad soon ^^

Happens too often or almost all the time. I get about 30% success by re-commiting right after the unable to commit screen shows up. Some assets commit quite fast, others take forever. If the help desk people can't duplicate the problem, they should go out at the outside real World and try there. It is a bug we all are experiencing.

This is becoming so frustrating, what I do now is preview each asset and then commit, even then it takes ages and has only an 80% sucess rate.

No wonder creators put assets onto 3rd party sites instead of on the DLS.

Back