Assests from previous versions

jeffy88

Ive noticed that Trainz 2019 lacks assests from previous Trainz. I have phisical copies of Trainz 2010 and Trainz 2006. But my copy of 2019 is Steam, but when I'm in Surveyor mode I'm finding like placeables to be very small in quantity. Is there a way I can go into the file folder of 2010 or 2006 and copy assets files to 2019. Like different light poles, power lines, tracks, Buildings etc?

I like to build race tracks in some of my layouts and such and I use to use Rail Yard Flood Lights as the lighting for the track or baseball fields when I made one of those. There was also grand stands and I'm not finding either item in 2019.

And there was lots more assets I use to use in the older version too that I would like to have in 2019. So is what I asked possible?

Thanks

Make sure you installed all the DLC that comes with TRS2019. On the Launcher, click on Download purchased items and on your next start up of Trainz, the content will download into your program. Being a Steam user, this maybe possible through the Steam launcher as well, but I'm not sure since I don't own a Steam version of Trainz.

For TS2010 and TRS2006, look on the DLS for updated content. While it can be done, importing old content is not the best thing because there are many, many errors. There's also chance that some of that was updated and uploaded to the DLS, making the process for you easier. If you want to import routes, you can export them from those versions to a CDP using Content Manager and import them into TRS2019 using its Content Manager then search the DLS for the missing dependencies.

The only way I can understand this request is by assuming that you are referring to those assets that were built into the earlier versions of Trainz. An asset that is on the DLS and was downloaded and installed into Trainz 2006 and 2010 is still on the DLS and can be downloaded and installed into TRS19 (whether the older asset would be compatible with '19 is another matter).

As I understand it, built in assets can be transferred from older Trainz versions to newer versions (with some possible issues as described by John above) by

1. opening the asset for editing in CM in the older version and locating its open folder
  2. starting CM in the newer version
  3. selecting the option "Import content folder" and pointing it to the open for editing folder

You cannot move built-in assets from one version to another by exporting and importing via .CDP files.

But before you attempt this, check the DLS to see if the original built-in assets have now been made available for downloading.

Last edited:
Make sure you installed all the DLC that comes with TRS2019. On the Launcher, click on Download purchased items and on your next start up of Trainz, the content will download into your program. Being a Steam user, this maybe possible through the Steam launcher as well, but I'm not sure since I don't own a Steam version of Trainz.

For TS2010 and TRS2006, look on the DLS for updated content. While it can be done, importing old content is not the best thing because there are many, many errors. There's also chance that some of that was updated and uploaded to the DLS, making the process for you easier. If you want to import routes, you can export them from those versions to a CDP using Content Manager and import them into TRS2019 using its Content Manager then search the DLS for the missing dependencies.

I found all kinds of cool assets in the DLS. I only thought Routes, Engines, and Rolling Stock was in there had no idea the assets where too. I just Typed in Flood Lights and there they where.

Thanks for your help. I also looked into the Launcher downloads and everything there was installed so I guess either I had not DLC with my Steam copy or they are all downloaded.

I found all kinds of cool assets in the DLS. I only thought Routes, Engines, and Rolling Stock was in there had no idea the assets where too. I just Typed in Flood Lights and there they where.

Thanks for your help. I also looked into the Launcher downloads and everything there was installed so I guess either I had not DLC with my Steam copy or they are all downloaded.

Hey you're welcome. There's a gazillion cool assets up there and it's just as addicting installing stuff from the DLS as it is building routes.

Hey you're welcome. There's a gazillion cool assets up there and it's just as addicting installing stuff from the DLS as it is building routes.

Yes when I played all the older games like 2010 or 2006 I mainly just played surveyor its all kinds of fun building your own routes. I would eventually drive on them but just as soon as that happened I was ready to create something else lol.

and yes the DLS is like a kid in a candy store or something its addictive. I purchased a Ticket for the faster downloads and I say I have spent hours on end over the past 3 days just downloading stuff from the DLS.

Back