rolling stock we're lacking?

john2002

Looking through the DLS and other sites and i'm really amazed at how much is missing
>many private owner cars with names such as Superior Propane, Panasote, Hematech, Dow of Canada, US Plywood, Chateau Martin, BLCX, many coal companies, Continential Tank Car, Cleaver Brooks, Agar Packing Company, Lauhoff, National Packing Company, EarlyTimes, Aloha Shake, Lewis Grain Co. etc. barely represented or not represented at all
>many private owners like Cargill, Florida Tile, Dupont Alathon, Diamond Shamrock, Sinclair-Koppers, Libby's, Engelhardt, ADM, Trailer Train, Staley, Arco, Frenchs, Gulf, El Rexene, Darling, CGTX, Procor, etc. having incomplete roster representations
>pretty much every non-private owner railroad missing rolling stock representations (example: Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia, Chicago and Eastern Illinois, and Louisville, New Albany and Corydon barely having any rolling stock, pretty much every railroad missing rolling stock (especially flatcars of any kind, larger boxcars, cylindrical covered hoppers, shorter centerflows, airslide and shorter exterior post covered hoppers, etc.), etc. etc. etc.
>some names like Dressler Mineral, Johnson Wax, Raritan River, and KM Trona having incredibly crude paintshed reskins as representations,
>some experimental rolling stock is missing (for example we have those unique Schnabel cars, yet none of those Reactor Core transporting wellcars or well hole flatcars (aside from a well hole flatcar that was on JR years ago but mysteriously vanished)?
>some cars don't seem to load any products at all (like Bendorsey's helium tank car, which could fit helium perfectly)

Odd, seems like you only listed American stuff? What about the rest of the world? A sad lack of NZ stuff especially steam era, even NSW steam is dated, then there's the rest of the world! But looking the other way, there is a LOT of stuff on the DLS, just who has time to make all that is missing? You'd need a few centuries but we are slowly getting there :hehe:

And you are going to model all of these?
Great!
Any ETA?

Or what are you trying to say?

basically i'm trying to say that there's a crisis in the North American Trainz scene

oh and i'm actually modeling all of these. It could take a while but even then it shouldn't be long before a few are uploaded to the DLS

as you can see in the "Show your reskins" thread my reskin skills are getting somewhat better

Last edited:
As long as Jointed Rail exists there is nothing remotely close to a “crisis” for any North American Trainzer. Most of what is available is high detail and covers much of what rolling stock would have existed - reskins for the various railroads discounted since a lot of people already dabble in them.

Now for UK content? Houston we have a problem.

basically i'm trying to say that there's a crisis in the North American Trainz scene
There are plenty of other crises in the USA
The one in the North American Trainz scene is of your own making and good luck with solving that.
Just like the other crises.
cheers
Graeme

I think it is typical for most of us to feel there are not enough of our favorite lines. I remember being disappointed at the TS2019 announcement and seeing that ATSF (+santa fe), SP, and CSX seemed to be about the only US diesel locomotives. Pretty much nothing in the north and west of the Mississippi. NOT EVEN UP! That being said, I have managed to collect some NP, BN. BNSF, GN, and SP&S locos, and plenty of Union Pacific. But at what level would I have been satisfied? If 2019 included 150 locos instead of 130? 200? And for rolling stock, Fourteen has been doing a wonderful job of modelling some pretty off the beaten path boxcars. As did rgcx and majekear. And Fant Auntentico has been making some interesting boxcars as well. You have to keep your eyes open for all the possibilities. And, if you can't find it, do as you are doing and learn to reskin!

A Class 108 and 120 DMU, along with a Class 205 and Class 207 DEMU (with authentic cab and sounds) would make me very happy. Oh and a 4TC unit.

Sadly I don't have the eyesight or manual dexterity to do complex 3D modelling, but I *quietly* hope one day these may pop up in Trainz.

oh and i'm actually modeling all of these. It could take a while but even then it shouldn't be long before a few are uploaded to the DLS

as you can see in the "Show your reskins" thread my reskin skills are getting somewhat better

If in North America the Trainz scene is in crisis, in Spain is not much better. It seems that many people have lost their interest on create stuff (specially rolling stock) for different reasons (work, issues with the game, personal situations,...). At least Fant and the Lunman3d guys are uploading things, but not much. A game with many bugs (specially with splines that have LOD's that vanish at a certain distances and cause certain stuttering -see this thread where even the developers don't even know the root cause of the problem https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?156011-Disappearing-splines&highlight=splines-) doesn't help with that.

Good afternoon, first of all thanks to the colleagues who have mentioned me. :)

I am sorry to disagree with the statement that there are not enough USA rolling stocks; if you are looking for something in DLS, a lot is US. What I have seen is that there is more material from the north than from the south, more from the east than from the west; of course it may just be my vision of the matter.

And now we come to the recurring matter ......
Gentlemen, content creators have our "little heart" and let me explain. When you publish something that has cost more or less work, you expect some thanks; If I published a boxcar a few days ago and only Forester1 thanks me, maybe the next thing I will send directly to who knows how to appreciate it.

In the case of Spain it is even worse, I do not know what happens to people, except for 3 colleagues from this forum and an external one, I could say that Spain does not exist, for this reason I have saved a large amount of Spanish rolling stock that if I continue like this will not be shared.

I'm not right? Well, looking at the statistics of my website it seems that yes.
They do not even ask me for permission to repaint (except for honorable exceptions such as that of an Australian companion with the ships).
And we talk about freeware; culture of minimum effort, free and also demanding.
Anyway, whoever wants to do it himself or order it for a good price, there will surely be content creators.

Paraphrasing to JFK ............ "Don't ask yourself what Trainz can do for you, but what you can do for Trainz."

Regards

Javier

Good afternoon, first of all thanks to the colleagues who have mentioned me. :)

I am sorry to disagree with the statement that there are not enough USA rolling stocks; if you are looking for something in DLS, a lot is US. What I have seen is that there is more material from the north than from the south, more from the east than from the west; of course it may just be my vision of the matter.

And now we come to the recurring matter ......
Gentlemen, content creators have our "little heart" and let me explain. When you publish something that has cost more or less work, you expect some thanks; If I published a boxcar a few days ago and only Forester1 thanks me, maybe the next thing I will send directly to who knows how to appreciate it.

In the case of Spain it is even worse, I do not know what happens to people, except for 3 colleagues from this forum and an external one, I could say that Spain does not exist, for this reason I have saved a large amount of Spanish rolling stock that if I continue like this will not be shared.

I'm not right? Well, looking at the statistics of my website it seems that yes.
They do not even ask me for permission to repaint (except for honorable exceptions such as that of an Australian companion with the ships).
And we talk about freeware; culture of minimum effort, free and also demanding.
Anyway, whoever wants to do it himself or order it for a good price, there will surely be content creators.

Paraphrasing to JFK ............ "Don't ask yourself what Trainz can do for you, but what you can do for Trainz."

Regards

Javier

I know how you feel, Javier. There's a common consensus these days that when stuff is offered with the goodness of our hearts, it's either not good enough or not the right thing being offered. The same goes for support as well. Many of us provide tech-support that goes above and beyond, I think sometimes, than what is found elsewhere. We provide an answer, and only occasionally do we receive a thank you and an update. It would be nice to know if what we provided helped. There are many threads that are left hanging with unknowns. When I worked in tech-support, I would have tickets to close and the users were contacted automatically after a specific time by the system if there was no follow-up on their problem. With the forums, we don't have that kind of luxury so the threads end up as dead ends.

Unfortunately, this attitude seems to come from those that have grown up with free, with free meaning stuff available on the internet and never reskinned an asset let alone built something themselves, or even studied a music instrument because they can download all the songs they can without credit going back to the composer and or the performers, and all the assets they want for free here and elsewhere.

Perhaps a bit of credit and thanks given to those that provide the great assets we take for granted needs to be done more often than not. In the past, we would have a let's pop a bottle of champagne for the great content creators who make our hobby possible. With so many people creating content, many go unnoticed, or their asset are scooped up with all the jewels we have and forgotten in our content so this is a way to honor those that make our hobby possible.

With that said, I do extend my thank you for that great boxcar. I finally had a chance to look at it this morning as I downloaded some content. It's a great boxcar that will find its self a home on my Gloucester Terminal Electric route down along the docks. This route, by the way, is a greatly modified route by George Fisher, someone whom I've honored in the past.

So in the end, Javier don't take it to heart.

As long as Jointed Rail exists there is nothing remotely close to a “crisis” for any North American Trainzer. Most of what is available is high detail and covers much of what rolling stock would have existed - reskins for the various railroads discounted since a lot of people already dabble in them.

Now for UK content? Houston we have a problem.

There are huge gaps in what is available in the way of Uk content. My sphere of interest is the Uk pre-grouping era and there are major railway companies from that era that are still not well represented, - the Midland Railway is one glaring example and there are others as well.

When building the Southern Region Brighton Line finding third rail rolling stock was a challenge, and quite limited. In fact UK assets, compared to US assets, leave a lot to be desired when looking for suitable items. Having said that no route could be built without well meaning content creators, without whom routes would be dull and unimaginative.

In my view content creators, no matter where they are from, continue to be the backbone of this SIM. Not sure how well they are praised but if none, or very little praise is sent their way I would wager thoughts of 'why do I bother' might well enter their mind.

I love to make routes whether fictional or prototypical but am useless at creating content. In fact I do not even try it. So to conclude my plea to creators is please do not give up your 'free' work and time, for what you create is most valuable to all who love trainz.

When building the Southern Region Brighton Line finding third rail rolling stock was a challenge, and quite limited. In fact UK assets, compared to US assets, leave a lot to be desired when looking for suitable items. Having said that no route could be built without well meaning content creators, without whom routes would be dull and unimaginative.

In my view content creators, no matter where they are from, continue to be the backbone of this SIM. Not sure how well they are praised but if none, or very little praise is sent their way I would wager thoughts of 'why do I bother' might well enter their mind.

I love to make routes whether fictional or prototypical but am useless at creating content. In fact I do not even try it. So to conclude my plea to creators is please do not give up your 'free' work and time, for what you create is most valuable to all who love trainz.

Been there done that got the tee shirt Valbridge. Fortunately I make pre-grouping reskinned rolling stock primarily for my own use and if I think it's good enough I upload it to the DLS so I still win out even if it's often like tossing my models down a deep dark pit. Apart from a very small handful of Trainz folk here on the forum I get no thanks or feedback at all with what I'm doing.

So long as these forums with more than a decade of knowledge exist, and programs like Blender and paint.net are around, there is no crisis. 3 years I've been working on content for a railway that last had new content uploaded to the DLS 16 years ago.

I know how you feel, Javier. There's a common consensus these days that when stuff is offered with the goodness of our hearts, it's either not good enough or not the right thing being offered. The same goes for support as well. Many of us provide tech-support that goes above and beyond, I think sometimes, than what is found elsewhere. We provide an answer, and only occasionally do we receive a thank you and an update. It would be nice to know if what we provided helped. There are many threads that are left hanging with unknowns. When I worked in tech-support, I would have tickets to close and the users were contacted automatically after a specific time by the system if there was no follow-up on their problem. With the forums, we don't have that kind of luxury so the threads end up as dead ends.

Unfortunately, this attitude seems to come from those that have grown up with free, with free meaning stuff available on the internet and never reskinned an asset let alone built something themselves, or even studied a music instrument because they can download all the songs they can without credit going back to the composer and or the performers, and all the assets they want for free here and elsewhere.

Perhaps a bit of credit and thanks given to those that provide the great assets we take for granted needs to be done more often than not. In the past, we would have a let's pop a bottle of champagne for the great content creators who make our hobby possible. With so many people creating content, many go unnoticed, or their asset are scooped up with all the jewels we have and forgotten in our content so this is a way to honor those that make our hobby possible.

With that said, I do extend my thank you for that great boxcar. I finally had a chance to look at it this morning as I downloaded some content. It's a great boxcar that will find its self a home on my Gloucester Terminal Electric route down along the docks. This route, by the way, is a greatly modified route by George Fisher, someone whom I've honored in the past.

So in the end, Javier don't take it to heart.

Good morning John,

I really appreciate your answer, I find it very sensible.
Your support work seems very important to me, it is essential that someone explain to us how this or that works, how the "config" is configured for different situations because without that our assets would not work.
Thanks for that.

Some examples of what I was saying yesterday. A few days ago I presented a new generation of Spanish passenger cars for TRS 2019. I was planning to publish more or less 20 models .......... but, people interested in them here in the forum ... three, in Spain two. Conclusion, I have made 8 models and at the moment I will only publish the two that I have presented.

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...T-proyectos-espa%F1oles-avances-y-otras-cosas

Regarding the rolling stock US I have quite a few projects, the witcombe locomotive, various freight cars and passenger cars.
The passenger cars are from the Texas Special (Frisco and Katy), reskins on some DLS models.
The freight wagon projects are diverse, some only on the plane but others finished such as the 40 ft UP "baby cube" with new meshes and for TRS 2019. I had thought of making versions of other companies but if there is no interest; rather, if people do not show a minimum interest ............
It may be that I pack the baby cubes and I will send the download link to those who have proven to be at least polite and appreciative.
I forgot your nice comment about the "Old Captain" boxcar, I'm glad it can serve you on some route.:D

Hugs from Madrid

Javier

2020-03-23-210226.jpg

2020-03-23-233352.jpg

2020-02-13-101329.jpg

Been there done that got the tee shirt Valbridge. Fortunately I make pre-grouping reskinned rolling stock primarily for my own use and if I think it's good enough I upload it to the DLS so I still win out even if it's often like tossing my models down a deep dark pit. Apart from a very small handful of Trainz folk here on the forum I get no thanks or feedback at all with what I'm doing.

Actually UK pre-grouping isn't too bad in Trainz. We have the GC and Met stuff, plus a good selection of NBR/HR/Caley rolling stock too.

Back