Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rolling stock we're lacking?

Amen to that valbridge!
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Quote Originally Posted by valbridge View Post
    When building the Southern Region Brighton Line finding third rail rolling stock was a challenge, and quite limited. In fact UK assets, compared to US assets, leave a lot to be desired when looking for suitable items. Having said that no route could be built without well meaning content creators, without whom routes would be dull and unimaginative.

In my view content creators, no matter where they are from, continue to be the backbone of this SIM. Not sure how well they are praised but if none, or very little praise is sent their way I would wager thoughts of 'why do I bother' might well enter their mind[s].

I love to make routes whether fictional or prototypical but am useless at creating content. In fact I do not even try it. So to conclude my plea to creators is please do not give up your 'free' work and time, for what you create is most valuable to all who love trainz.
    Been there done that got the tee shirt Valbridge. Fortunately I make pre-grouping reskinned rolling stock primarily for my own use and if I think it's good enough I upload it to the DLS so I still win out even if it's often like tossing my models down a deep dark pit. Apart from a very small handful of Trainz folk here on the forum I get no thanks or feedback at all with what I'm doing.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Quote Originally Posted by john2002 View Post
    basically i'm trying to say that there's a crisis in the North American Trainz scene

oh and i'm actually modeling all of these. It could take a while but even then it shouldn't be long before a few are uploaded to the DLS

as you can see in the "Show your reskins" thread my reskin skills are getting somewhat better
    So long as these forums with more than a decade of knowledge exist, and programs like Blender and paint.net are around, there is no crisis. 3 years I've been working on content for a railway that last had new content uploaded to the DLS 16 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    I know how you feel, Javier. There's a common consensus these days that when stuff is offered with the goodness of our hearts, it's either not good enough or not the right thing being offered. The same goes for support as well. Many of us provide tech-support that goes above and beyond, I think sometimes, than what is found elsewhere. We provide an answer, and only occasionally do we receive a thank you and an update. It would be nice to know if what we provided helped. There are many threads that are left hanging with unknowns. When I worked in tech-support, I would have tickets to close and the users were contacted automatically after a specific time by the system if there was no follow-up on their problem. With the forums, we don't have that kind of luxury so the threads end up as dead ends.

Unfortunately, this attitude seems to come from those that have grown up with free, with free meaning stuff available on the internet and never reskinned an asset let alone built something themselves, or even studied a music instrument because they can download all the songs they can without credit going back to the composer and or the performers, and all the assets they want for free here and elsewhere.

Perhaps a bit of credit and thanks given to those that provide the great assets we take for granted needs to be done more often than not. In the past, we would have a let's pop a bottle of champagne for the great content creators who make our hobby possible. With so many people creating content, many go unnoticed, or their asset are scooped up with all the jewels we have and forgotten in our content so this is a way to honor those that make our hobby possible.

With that said, I do extend my thank you for that great boxcar. I finally had a chance to look at it this morning as I downloaded some content. It's a great boxcar that will find its self a home on my Gloucester Terminal Electric route down along the docks. This route, by the way, is a greatly modified route by George Fisher, someone whom I've honored in the past.

So in the end, Javier don't take it to heart.
    Good morning John,

I really appreciate your answer, I find it very sensible.
    Your support work seems very important to me, it is essential that someone explain to us how this or that works, how the "config" is configured for different situations because without that our assets would not work.
    Thanks for that.

Some examples of what I was saying yesterday. A few days ago I presented a new generation of Spanish passenger cars for TRS 2019. I was planning to publish more or less 20 models .......... but, people interested in them here in the forum ... three, in Spain two. Conclusion, I have made 8 models and at the moment I will only publish the two that I have presented.

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...-y-otras-cosas

Regarding the rolling stock US I have quite a few projects, the witcombe locomotive, various freight cars and passenger cars.
    The passenger cars are from the Texas Special (Frisco and Katy), reskins on some DLS models.
    The freight wagon projects are diverse, some only on the plane but others finished such as the 40 ft UP "baby cube" with new meshes and for TRS 2019. I had thought of making versions of other companies but if there is no interest; rather, if people do not show a minimum interest ............
    It may be that I pack the baby cubes and I will send the download link to those who have proven to be at least polite and appreciative.
    I forgot your nice comment about the "Old Captain" boxcar, I'm glad it can serve you on some route.

Hugs from Madrid

Javier

Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    Been there done that got the tee shirt Valbridge. Fortunately I make pre-grouping reskinned rolling stock primarily for my own use and if I think it's good enough I upload it to the DLS so I still win out even if it's often like tossing my models down a deep dark pit. Apart from a very small handful of Trainz folk here on the forum I get no thanks or feedback at all with what I'm doing.
    Actually UK pre-grouping isn't too bad in Trainz. We have the GC and Met stuff, plus a good selection of NBR/HR/Caley rolling stock too.
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Actually UK pre-grouping isn't too bad in Trainz. We have the GC and Met stuff, plus a good selection of NBR/HR/Caley rolling stock too.
    But virtually no Midland, very little LNWR save for some coaches and only a handful of decent loco models, very little GER, same for the GNR and the L&Y. Any of the smaller companies like the M&GNR, the GNoSR and the FR you might as well forget it.

Things are getting better for the southern companies like the LSWR and the LBSC, but really there are some huge gaps in what is available for the pre-grouping era which make it difficult to model the railways of some fairly significant parts of the Uk.

A huge lack for many Pre-grouping railways is the humble general purpose 0-6-0T or 0-6-0ST as well as good basic goods and mineral rolling stock. And brake vans is another area where there are a good many gaps in what is available.
    Last edited by KotangaGirl; May 30th, 2020 at 05:49 AM. Reason: more to say

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    A Class 108 and 120 DMU, along with a Class 205 and Class 207 DEMU (with authentic cab and sounds) would make me very happy. Oh and a 4TC unit.

Sadly I don't have the eyesight or manual dexterity to do complex 3D modelling, but I *quietly* hope one day these may pop up in Trainz.
    What about a Class 107?

A huge lack for many Pre-grouping railways is the humble general purpose 0-6-0T or 0-6-0ST as well as good basic goods and mineral rolling stock. And brake vans is another area where there are a good many gaps in what is available.
    What are we missing for goods and mineral wagons? Brake vans?

Thanks John

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fant_autentico View Post
    Good morning John,

I really appreciate your answer, I find it very sensible.
    Your support work seems very important to me, it is essential that someone explain to us how this or that works, how the "config" is configured for different situations because without that our assets would not work.
    Thanks for that.

Some examples of what I was saying yesterday. A few days ago I presented a new generation of Spanish passenger cars for TRS 2019. I was planning to publish more or less 20 models .......... but, people interested in them here in the forum ... three, in Spain two. Conclusion, I have made 8 models and at the moment I will only publish the two that I have presented.

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...-y-otras-cosas

Regarding the rolling stock US I have quite a few projects, the witcombe locomotive, various freight cars and passenger cars.
    The passenger cars are from the Texas Special (Frisco and Katy), reskins on some DLS models.
    The freight wagon projects are diverse, some only on the plane but others finished such as the 40 ft UP "baby cube" with new meshes and for TRS 2019. I had thought of making versions of other companies but if there is no interest; rather, if people do not show a minimum interest ............
    It may be that I pack the baby cubes and I will send the download link to those who have proven to be at least polite and appreciative.
    I forgot your nice comment about the "Old Captain" boxcar, I'm glad it can serve you on some route.

Hugs from Madrid

Javier

I can't wait to see the hycubes. I don't remember seeing those in UP "We can handle it" paint honestly.
    1970's Fan

Quote Originally Posted by james73 View Post
    What about a Class 107?
    Yes indeed! So I can build the Kilmalcolm branch...
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)

I noticed that about LNWR when I was looking for some pre-BR stuff to run on the 1930s Cornish mainline. Fairly slim pickings...
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
    What are we missing for goods and mineral wagons? Brake vans?

Thanks John
    It's reasonably easy to figure out John. Make a list of pre-grouping railway companies and then make a list of the main types of goods/mineral wagons as well as brake vans and put an 'x' beside the missing ones. Some of the gaps could be filled by simple reskins of generic meshes, if you're willing to accept the errors in doing so.
    I've been having health problems so I'm not doing any wagon reskinning at the moment and haven't done any for a while now.

It's reasonably easy to figure out John. Make a list of pre-grouping railway companies and then make a list of the main types of goods/mineral wagons as well as brake vans and put an 'x' beside the missing ones. Some of the gaps could be filled by simple reskins of generic meshes, if you're willing to accept the errors in doing so.
    I've been having health problems so I'm not doing any wagon reskinning at the moment and haven't done any for a while now.
    That's the research side that I never was much good at.

Cheerio John

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
    That's the research side that I never was much good at.

Cheerio John
    Normally I could do it John, but I'd be struggling at the moment due to my stupid fogged up brain. It's something I can think about for the future though when I'm feeling better.

Blog Entries

literally the only thing PRSL has in Trainz is an RDC
    1970's Fan