FPS & (inactive) Interactive Industries & Interactive Stations (TRS19 Trainz Plus)

peterwise

Steam Era Fan
FPS & (inactive) Interactive Industries & Interactive Stations (TRS19 Trainz Plus)

On TRS19 Trainz Plus (SP1 etc), has it been noticed that Frame Rates (FPS) are severely affected when driving past (inactive) Interactive Industries & Interactive Stations? I have 6 near the track on one small part of my route and FPS drops markedly as a loco passes this point.

For reference, I note down below the assets nearby:

Several junctions
Buffer stop 02
DDD Coal bins extn L
People Heizer 1 mit Schaufel
Coal_Unloader_Interactive_with_e
DDD Coal depot P Softley
Invisible Track
AJS Station 1x50s
Multiple Industry basic
Buffer#3 - 1930's
Buffer#3 - 1930's
GWR coal staithe
Coal_Unloader_Interactive_with_e
GWR coal staithe
GWR double Track Level Crossing

I have an overclocked RTX 2080, so this hit to the FPS is really odd and seemed to start with SP1 etc.

This problem seems unconnected with andi06's Superscript as I originally thought.

Peter,

Because there can be so many variables in this, the best way is to test each of these assets yourself on your own system to see how it affects your system performance.

Content Manager has a built-in asset performance tester. To use it:-

1. Start CM
  2. Select an asset from the location that you want to test for its effect on frame rates
  3. Right Mouse Click on the asset and select Open from the popup menu
  4. Select Preview Asset from the second popup menu

This will display the asset rotating in a smallish window and supply some statistics.

Look for the Triangle Count figure, the bigger the number the worse it will perform but that by itself is not a complete guide, the textures in the asset can also play a big part.

Take a note of how smoothly the asset rotates

1. Look for the Mode drop down box - it will initially be showing Inspect
  2. Click the drop down arrow in the box and select Performance Analysis. This will fill the small display window with hundreds (or more) of this asset and will attempt to rotate them all.

Take a note of how smoothly (or not) the assets are now rotating. Again this is only a guide to what your frame rate would be like if you had that many copies of the asset in a scene of your layout, unlikely but not impossible. Objects that perform badly in this can still be used but sparingly. Don't fill an entire town with multiple copies of a poor performing house because it looks really great. You should be able to use one or maybe two. Of course it could also be several/many different poorly performing assets in the same location.

Also note if the object uses LOD (Levels of Detail). If not then your graphics card will attempt to draw the entire asset in its maximum detail even if it has been positioned 2kms from the track. In Inspect mode you can select different LOD distances from the asset to see how much the detail changes - if it does not change then there is probably no LOD data in the asset. Another way to check for LOD data is to open the config.txt file of the asset and see if it has any LOD tags.

Another factor to consider is the size of the asset in kB/MB. You can add a size column to the CM display grid. Larger sized assets tend to perform worse, in terms of fps, than smaller sized assets although there are many exceptions and reasons why this is not always a perfect guide but it does offer clues.

One type of asset that I judicially avoid is anything large made in SketchUp - asset sizes in multiple MBs and no LOD.

Last edited:
pware,

Thanks for the ideas on using Preview Asset. I do use it regularly (via Ctrl+Shift+R) for seeing whether assets look OK and I had an idea on checking performance using it, but you have given me new insights. Very helpful. Thanks.

Any other insights anyone?

Peter.

Back