This is the best TRS2019 has to offer?

I have to agree with Kotanga and Stagecoach on this one. Yes there is payware out there from creators but the general volume of stuff we have to play/model with is free. Yes, I do recognise items that are clearly from my TRS2004 days but for most items I have found a slightly newer version or even a completely new item that does the same job. Cutting off content is the worst thing we could do for Trainz as a whole. Flight Sim had/has the exact same problem. However, you could argue that is not so niche as a railway sim/builder.

Cutting backward compatibility is the only way the game can move forward. In terms of features and what is possible. I assume a main reason why new features aren’t as easily implemented is because of the sheer weight of having to support hundreds of thousands of old assets, and account for what *might* go wrong with each and every one of them. This is a huge burden to game developers.

N3V should get rid of old contents.
Only TANE and TRS19.

So let's say N3V does that and next week they come out with a patch for TANE and TS2019 that makes all old content (TS2012 and older) incompatible so it no longer works. I take it you'll be perfectly happy and won't complain even once when hundreds of assets suddenly disappear from the routes you have installed and you can't find anything to replace them.

They shouldn’t cut anything from what’s already established. But for newer versions there could be cuts to what is compatible. It must be justifiable, however, in the form of new features and sorely-missed functionality, of which there are many to “pick and choose” from.

If you don't want to use old prehistoric assets, simply don't use them.

Are you all trying to ruin the game for everyone else, trying to impose your own will on everyone else ?

The OP, has only 2 posts since 2006, surely has not experienced the great thrill of TS19, (and all the great UTC to TRS2006 assets) (not to mention TS09 to TS12 assets) all of which look absolutely fantastic, and work perfectly fine in TS19.

If you cut it off at T:ANE you would be trashing 38493 railcars/26957 locomotives down the drain, for no good reason at all.

I have even edited, and applied "Sharpen" to many old pixelated assets, and they look 400% better.

Here here, 100% agree

Yep totally agree! As far as not moving forward there is plenty of old stuff that doesn't work in 2019 due to changes, not a big deal. Want the old stuff to work, use an older version. But for myself in 2019 I certainly am grateful we all have the OPTION of having older content that works just fine in 2019. People honestly need to get a grip, and try out stuff a little at a time. If it doesn't work don't use it. I've only been involved in 2019 for a few months now since coming back from 2010 and had to figure out what could or couldn't work. If a newbie like myself can figure things out, I don't understand why everyone is so content on worrying about backwards compatibility. The developers can move the game forward if they want and make older assets obsolete. But from a money perspective that is a risk when you go up to a new version. I'll stick with my 2019 for a long time, as I'm quite content. Just like many others are content with earlier versions that work just fine. As I said people need to get a grip.

Thanks

Sean

I can see this has got people fighting, but I wonder if we've reached a point where pre-TANE content needs to go into a 'legacy' DLS and post-TANE into a 'new' DLS. New versions of CM will automatically link to the 'new' DLS, but only to the 'legacy' DLS via a tick-box. This will focus attention on new content (which hopefully meets the higher standards) while ensuring the older content is available for those who want it.

Paul

I think it would be a very good idea to keep anything post TANE out of legacy DLS assets so that those of us who don't want to go with the 'latest and greatest' can continue to enjoy the older versions of Trainz if that's what we would prefer to do.
Presently I'm commissioning 19th century GWR rolling stock for TS2019 so nobody could call me a TS2019 hater, but it's getting beyond a joke when build 1.3 assets are all we have as a choice for certain types of Uk building assets in TS2019. I'm reluctant to use some of them in TS2012 so having them turning up TS2019 specific routes is no longer funny.

In regard to creators only selecting assets that are TANE and later, this can be easily done with a Filter in CM

Minimum build version = 3.9
On download station = True

However, there is a considerable number of pre-TANE assets that look perfectly good in TANE and TRS19. As an example of ones that I use in both TANE and TRS19 are the "NZ House" series by sirgibby. These are available in both hi-poly (for close to the track) and lo-poly (for further away) versions and range from Trainz build version 1.3 to 2.9.

Think it is great that we are literally spoiled for choice with the huge number of assets available for free on the DLS.
Yes - good idea to be discerning about the visual quality and performance of the assets you might choose to download and employ in your home-built routes and sessions, but the build number is not always a good guide to this.
Feel free to create minimum build filters in Content Manager as suggested by pware, but as he states above you'll also be overlooking some beautifully-crafted and fine-looking assets from previous versions of Trainz that have stood the test of time.
Just as I am particularly choosy about which excellent items from DLC that I'll spend real money on, I am just as choosy about what exactly I'll download for no cost from the DLS.
Feel privileged to be able to make this choice and grateful to N3V and the myriad of creators who make this possible. It's one of the key reasons that the Trainz series of railroad simulators are the envy of all others.

I am a little bit torn when choosing assets for my routes. Sometimes I will sort by version in hopes of finding the latest and greatest, and quite often find myself all the way down in the twos still looking. Other times I find a great looking 4.6 asset only to discover it is megabytes larger than other good alternatives. How many newer trees at 15mb each will affect performance versus older trees that are maybe kb in size? Or do I want a 100 car consist of 15mb cars versus kb size cars? What are the tradeoffs?

I mean as an example the Black 5 (which I think is TRS2006) looks really good and comes in a number of "finishes". When was the last time we had a TRS19 version of that or even a good T:ANE version?

I agree with Ace. I'll say this much, just as an observation. There seems to be less content creators in the newest versions and/or the entry/skill/learning curve is too high for such entry?

I've seen people who are users getting frustrated about old stuff, and yes there is lots to go through. Perhaps some kind of rating system would help get through the continued increase in what is available in the DLS? After all there are many people in older versions who don't want to move on up, and I don't blame them as here I am in 2019 perfectly content to stay. But the only thing I see a cost here is time. Perhaps reviews I have no idea but something to filter out what your looking for without having to rely on minimum version builds. As a 2019 user I'm grateful to have so much content available. I usually build test worlds do a search or key word and populate the world with what I might like. Then I can take the ones I don't like and simply not use them. Add the ones I do like to pick list and move on.

But other than building my own route, I really do want to get beyond that and build my own assets and scripts sooner or later. But who is to say a noob like me in 2019 is going to create something spectacular just because I might be in the latest version?

Thanks

Sean

"Old Stuff" has a place..... That is in the background. Stay out of the airplane. Get in the train and focus on what you see. Too many people spend endless hours modeling a town or city that you never see from a train. Then they complain about the stuff they have available for what is a BACKGROUND. Get out of the air and back on the tracks!!!

Now, how do you make the background stuff from being a bad looking distraction? I use trees. All those houses and roads can have trees growing up right in the middle of them, BUT you never see that from the tracks. INSTEAD you see THROUGH the trees, pieces of the ancient assets just as you do in real-life. Why spend wasted days modeling streets away from the tracks when, from a train, you cannot see them!! Addiction to modeling towns instead of railroads has become a focus and thus a false need for only new assets. New near the tracks. Old in the background.

Take a copy of you favorite route and paste tree groups behind the buildings that are in the foreground. Ignore when you are putting trees in buildings and on roads. You CANNOT see those anomalies FROM A TRAIN!

Last edited:
I fully endorse what boleyd has said. Here is a summary of what I do in building a town.

I make considerable use of the NZ House series by sirgibby which are available in both High Poly (higher resolution) and Low Poly (lower resolution) versions.

Low resolution version of "NZ House 1-5"

Lo-Poly-NZ-House-1-5.jpg

High resolution version of "NZ House 1-5"

HiPoly-NZ-House-1-5.jpg

Low resolution row of houses (not a spline asset) <kuid:441444:100029> Qld House Row 1

Queensland-House-Row.jpg

Combine these elements, with similar high and low resolution buildings plus lots of SpeedTrees (but only 6 or 7 different types) to create an outback town scene.

Town-scene.jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. I have a modest rig and new video card upgrade that barely makes Ultra now. So far runs just great but I know the more I try to load up stuff on my route creation the more it's going to be pushing those limits. I have no problem using older assets for background and even some foreground. At the end of the day I know I'm running a simulator. I'd love to see better lighting in the game at night, and a better sky globe. But there are enough positives that keep me coming back for more every time.

Again not the best train simulator on the planet (I give that to Run8 and always will until something can beat it's physics). But this allows me to created my own world and use a massive number of created assets over a period of time with little to no issues. They say content is king, and it certainly is. So is the ability to modify your own worlds to your liking. With Run8 I was stuck in the creator's worlds as nice as they were. I see plenty of fresh new content mixing with classic old assets I can count on on a regular basis here.

Thanks

Sean

Back