Why is finding a Missing Dependency so difficult ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP242

TRS2006 PRR Enola-Conway

You Buy a payware asset

You install all of the files in the download

The Asset has Missing Dependencies

You look up the Missing Dependencies

You look up what type of dependencies they are

You search for the kuids on TKI

TKI instructs you to the assets site

You search for the Kuid

The Kuid Numeral is not there

You Search for the asset kuids name

The Kuids name not there

You search your Downloads on the assets site

The Missing Dependency is not listed under kuid numeral, or under it's name

The Missing Dependency is supposedly under some obscure file name: "Deps 1" or an obscure generic screenshot image, but the Kuid is not inside that package

You search and search for Missing Dependencies for 9 hours, until you are going Blind

Why can't all the Dependencies be included and easily identified by it's Kuid numeral, in the payware download ?

The Dependency is still Missing, as the website that provided the asset to you, does not list, and sort things, by Kuid Numerals

Instead they hide things under obscure file names, hiding them inside other assets, instead of listing them by kuid numeral

Why can't all the assets parts be simply packaged in the download, so that they are easy to identify the Kuid numeral, and install that Kuid numeral ?

After 3 days, you still have Payware assets that have Missing Dependencies, and the asset is still inoperable !

Why aren't assets and dependencies listed by their Kuid Numeral on the payware website, and listed by their Kuid Numeral inside the payware downloads ???

Last edited:

You Buy a payware asset

You install all of the files in the download

The Asset has Missing Dependencies

You look up the Missing Dependencies

You look up what type of dependencies they are

You search for the kuids on TKI

TKI instructs you to the assets site

You search for the Kuid

The Kuid Numeral is not there

You Search for the asset kuids name

The Kuids name not there

You search your Downloads on the assets site

The Missing Dependency is not listed under kuid numeral, or under it's name

The Missing Dependency is supposedly under some obscure file name: "Deps 1" or an obscure generic screenshot image, but the Kuid is not inside that package

You search and search for Missing Dependencies for 9 hours, until you are going Blind

Why can't all the Dependencies be included and easily identified by it's Kuid numeral, in the payware download ?

The Dependency is still Missing, as the website that provided the asset to you, does not list, and sort things, by Kuid Numerals

Instead they hide things under obscure file names, hiding them inside other assets, instead of listing them by kuid numeral

Why can't all the assets parts be simply packaged in the download, so that they are easy to identify the Kuid numeral, and install that Kuid numeral ?

After 3 days, you still have Payware assets that have Missing Dependencies, and the asset is still inoperable !

Why aren't assets and dependencies listed by their Kuid Numeral on the payware website, and listed by their Kuid Numeral inside the payware downloads ???
It is indeed darned annoying and if it's payWare it would be a reasonable expectation that all the items would be included in one zip file . However , it does seem that there are a significant number of creators who don't make finding this games assets a priority , as seen by some of the obscure names and numbering systems given to assets .its almost as if they take a perverse delight in making identification and locating their works as difficult as possible. Perhaps they want users to partake in the angst and frustration that are encountered during the creative progress , so they design these systems to be as frustrating as possible.:(

It sure would make things easier to find dependencies sorted and listed by their Kuid Numerals on a website.

Last edited:
It'd be awesome if you could buy a car, have the body work delivered, and then travel all over the world to find the rest of the parts to complete it.

What an adventure that would be! :cool:

MP242,

I’m sure you already know the answer to your own question. The root cause is creators who, for whatever reason, put their assets only in places other than the Download Station. Following from that, are other creators who make routes populated with assets from those non-DLS sources.

Last edited:
While I agree with Dinorius, the original post was about payware (not DLC I would hope). Unfortunately, this problem is far too common in freeware routes as has been pointed out in many, many posts and threads in these forums. There is no easy solution to this problem in freeware and, I believe, it is part of the price that we must expect to pay for a free and open DLS.

Payware is however, another matter.

Of course it is always possible that the missing asset is one that had been removed from the route by the creator but has, somehow, not been removed from routes dependencies (there have been a few cases of this in occurring in earlier versions of Trainz - the OP did not make it clear which Trainz version was in use). But that possibility aside, you have paid for a complete and working route and this has not been delivered.

My first recourse would not be to attempt to find the missing asset myself but to contact the creator directly and firmly, but politely, insist that he/she meets the full terms of the sale contract by supplying a product that is "fit for service".

Another reason why I never use 3rd party freeware or payware.

A sensible idea but one that still relies on the creator going the "extra mile" to compile this list. A common problem is that not all creators know the origin of every asset that they have added to a route (I have been there and done that!). I am convinced that a few make the assumption that if an asset is on their system then it must be on everyone's system and if it is missing from your system then you must have deleted it - so it is not their responsibility to locate it for you.

TANE and TRS19 CM now provide a check, in the form of the "status" column showing "3rd party asset" (or something similar) when they display a dependency that is not built-in, on the DLS or DLC (N3V Payware). I now routinely use this feature to weed out the possible "missing assets" before I release a route or session to the DLS.

If it is a Payware Asset, that you PAID money for, ALL the dependencies should be included with the loco, or railcar, download

Totally agree but you have misunderstood my context. The "not my responsibility" was (in my opinion) the attitude of a few creators when their creations have missing assets.

Question: Are some RRMods, and JR assets, NOT at all usable at all, in TS19, and that is my problem ?

As I am trying to get them into TS19

Showing: Missing Assets

Not true. Jointed Rail states which products are compatible with the versions. Locomotives, railcars, and buildings work fine, but older routes will not due to the older SpeedTrees, which can be replaced if you really want to do that. I did that with the Midwest Grain and American Intermodal, and merged both into a much bigger route. They work fine as I intend them to, and they look very good as well.

Jointed Rail provides links to their dependencies within the orders and downloads. If you purchased a current route from Jointed Rail, for example, you will have a link for the route and additional links for the dependencies, or a link to specific page for the product if the route requires additional dependencies. In the event you are missing something, contact them and they will provide support. With all the $100's worth of content I purchased from Jointed Rail over the years, I have never, ever, had a problem with my purchases, past or present.

There are cases where some assets require additional downloads from the DLS as well as some built-ins.

With that said, I can't vouch for others you may have purchased assets from, but these two have few if any problems at all.

If you are seeing missing dependencies, I recommend you check for assets open for edit and revert them. In TRS2019, previously installed assets are left open rather than automatically submitted. If there are any assets open for edit, highlight them and revert to original.

What is wrong with asking the the provider? It's their product, they should support it. I'm sure they like this sort of thread when they aren't even aware of a problem.

Chris.

When this happens usually my first action is to copy and paste the kuid into google. If nothing comes of that, I'd suggest contacting whoever you got the asset with the missing kuids from.

This thread has a lot of views and perspectives that were already covered many times over on this forum, but it seems that you have spent more time constructing your problem here and being intentionally vague about what is missing so that your general assertion applies than you have actually trying to find the items you need. Since that is the case - are you absolutely sure that you do not also bear some of the blame here? have you read everything carefully where you purchased the item? Have you contacted the seller? perhaps the item you are missing is merely accidentally left out of the files you received. Unless you have and were somehow refused service, this thread serves no purpose.

I agree with the vast majority (if not all) of the answers that have been given in this thread.

"If it is something you have paid for and it is not working as advertised then contact the seller/distributor/creator".

Posting about the problem in these forums, while encouraged for all Trainz members, is hardly likely to resolve the issue particularly when your initial posts were too vague to be able to get anything other than general advice from others. Part of that general advice from many people, myself included, was to contact the unnamed creator of the payware.

But please, when or if the situation has been resolved we would like to hear what the cause of the problem was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back