Where can I find a decent (editable) F40PH model?

janathan

Okay, so I downloaded the PAYWARE F40PH, and though I like the textures and scripting, I'm a bit disappointed. That is because...

(get ready for a long back story...)

When I was a kid, I had to share a family PC with my parents and my sisters. Because train simulation games take up an un-godly amount of space on computers, I could only chose one. My choices were MSTS (Microsoft Train Simulator) and TRS2004. I chose TRS2004 for three reasons:
1) You could make custom routes easily in TRS2004
2) Paintshed. (While MSTS also had Paintshed, TRS2004 had a better roster for my purposes)
3) I grew up near the Netherwood Station in New Jersey and an NJ Transit train driver gave me track schematics and a signal guide. With these, I was determined to make a good NJ Transit route (which I'm still working on)

(the back story continues...)

Now, when I got TRS2006, I felt even more like I made the right decision because I discovered you can swap engine sounds, cabs, horn, etc. AND you can make your own replacements.

Now fast-forward to today. I purchased the F40PH on the N3V Games store and while running it, I realized a few issues. Now don't get me wrong the horn and enginesound are nice, they just aren't perfect matches to the ones the real locomotive has.

"No problem," I thought, "I'll just swap them with the horn I made and a custom enginesound I found on the DLS." But when I tried, this happened...

"Open... show in Explorer"
"ERROR: NOT AUTHORIZED TO OPEN KUID (kuid-number) FOR EDIT"
"FAILED TO OPEN KUID (kuid-number) FOR EDIT":confused:

Now I could rant on for a while about what a ridiculous idea it is to make it so you can't customize content in a game where one of the main selling points is how customizable content in the game is, but instead, I'll just ask where I can find a decent EDITABLE Amtrak F40PH. I tried the freeware one on the DLS (<kuid2:58843:72:5>), but for some reason, the numbers won't appear on it. (In "Preview Asset," the numberboards only display "M-4, M-5, M-6," the sides only display "222" and the back says "206." In-game, the numbers won't appear at all, but if I manually give it one, it looks exactly like it does in preview asset. )

So in short, I'm looking for an Amtrak F40PH. It doesn't have to be freeware, it just has to meet these minimum specs:
1) Running numbers
2) EDITABLE
3) EDITABLE, I can't stress this enough!:(

There's the old and still reliable Magicland F40PHs still kicking around on the DLS. I don't know if there are any direct issues bringing them into TRS19 because I haven't used them in a decade, but all and all I think they will work for you. The cab and textures aren't bad, and the horn is quite nice.

I just downloaded it, but the running numbers aren't appearing properly. Especially on the numberboard. Does anyone know what's causing this?

If it uses the NumberIt library, make sure you have the latest version of the library.

Then open the loco config.txt file and make sure there are no more than three digits in each NumberIt parameter. You may have as few as one but no more than three.

:B~)

It doesn't reference the NumberIt library in its kuid table. Heck, I'm not even sure HOW it is numbered. On most locomotives I've seen, they have an extension table and within this table, "num_low" and "num_high" would be listed. The game would chose a number at random between the low and high numbers written. I tried adding this table, but that didn't seem to change anything.

Missing or incorrectly referenced alpha-channel numbers can cause missing numbers. They could be there but not displaying properly.

Scratch that...

The asset has weird things going on with the numbers. I'm not even sure where they come from. The front number boards show M-4, M-5, M-6, and the number on the rear is there until the numbers are edited manually in the properties, but I can't find where the numbers come from.

Last edited:
That's the same problem I'm having. The numberboards, sides and rear all display different numbers. Also the sides only seem to wanna display 222 for some reason.

I fixed the F40PH. It was missing a "fonts-path" in the config.txt. Once I added that, it worked. I found this out by changing the trainz-build number to a higher number until it triggered an error message. When I changed it to 3.7, it said it was missing an _alpha_numbers directory. I can now freely use this locomotive.

That took a LOT of research to figure out!

I fixed the F40PH. It was missing a "fonts-path" in the config.txt. Once I added that, it worked. I found this out by changing the trainz-build number to a higher number until it triggered an error message. When I changed it to 3.7, it said it was missing an _alpha_numbers directory. I can now freely use this locomotive.

That took a LOT of research to figure out!

Wow.

Could you post the fix here in the forums so others don't ask the same question?

Thanks.

You shouldn't have bought it from the Trainz Store. Jointedrail has the F40PH model on its own site. It would be editable. But since you already purchased it I am afraid there is no going back.

You don't even need to return to magicland's F40PH, what I would do is modify the actual hornsound and enginesound and replace the sounds to the ones you prefer.

Back