TRS19 PE - Crash when opening a map

Alcaron

Trainz Veteran
It happens several times now, that if you want to edit or drive a map/session that TRS19 PE has crashes.

Sometimes it only happens once when the map or session is called.
For others, such as "Schwäninger Land" or the (Betamap?) Znamensk-Svir, or another maps... TRS19 PE crashes always.

No matter if you want to drive on the map or edit it... all maps and sessions are always up-to-date.
For some, as already mentioned, it only happens at the first start and for others TRS19 PE crashes again and again when opening.

This happened immediately after the clean installation of TRS19 PE and the content downloaded shortly afterwards from the Trainz Store.
And the whole thing happened not only to me, but also to other users who also installed a clean TRS19 PE and these routes.

It was recently two more maps installed... "TRS19 - NS Sandusky District" and "TRS19 - NS Yard Module".
And also there the same phenom. At the first open... Crash and the second time open and also for further actions, you could drive or open the map.

Does anyone know where the problem might lie?
Since this happens not only to me, but also to others, the problem should probably be TRS19 PE.
Or am I wrong?

This happens to one of my own maps brought over from TANE. I have TRS19 Platinum edition. First I thought it is too big but there are far larger maps built in and other cutom maps that I have transferred that open fine. Just the one layout. CTD a second after I press edit route button.

Alcaron,

Ensure you have updated your Enhanced Interlocking Tower assets because the older versions will cause a crash. TRC crossing assets will cause immediate crashes if you are using the current version of those. You need to delete those and install the previous version for those to work properly.

Hope this helps.

Hi John,

Enhanced Interlocking Tower assets is up to date.

TRC crossing assets... i have delete the new content and install older content.

But some maps still crash. :'(

It may be that content is also installed on the maps that still crash, which probably provokes the same reactions as the content you mentioned.
But finding this one is not going to be easy. :eek:

It only helps to search, search and search... :D

May be worth having a look at the log, in particular anything that has repeated attempts to load.

Hi John,

Enhanced Interlocking Tower assets is up to date.

TRC crossing assets... i have delete the new content and install older content.

But some maps still crash. :'(

It may be that content is also installed on the maps that still crash, which probably provokes the same reactions as the content you mentioned.
But finding this one is not going to be easy. :eek:

It only helps to search, search and search... :D

Bummer it couldn't be so easy!
It could be a common asset that has a corrupted mesh or texture. I mentioned in another thread about an old SpeedTree that caused that problem for me in TS12. A route would crash if I looked in a particular direction, or run truly awful in that place if I didn't. I usually forgot and ended up crashing. When I converted the route to T:ANE compatibility, it worked, but not after stumbling on the tree as I was replacing them all for T:ANE.

Update all your obsolete content except for the TRC assets and repair any faulty ones if you have any. This will ensure a clear base to start with before doing the process of elimination steps because that removes all the other situations out of equation before starting.

Process of elimination is done using content manager. Disable small batches of non-DLC and non-Built-in assets then test, and repeat. If disabling that group still causes the crash, enable that group, repeat the process until you find what's causing the problem. As luck usually works out, it'll always be the last thing you disable.

Alcaron,

Ensure you have updated your Enhanced Interlocking Tower assets because the older versions will cause a crash. TRC crossing assets will cause immediate crashes if you are using the current version of those. You need to delete those and install the previous version for those to work properly.

Hope this helps.

So what happens in my current circumstance with the Crossover Triggers I use with the Controller as well as the ATLS Crossings? Do I have to replace all ATLS Crossings with TRC Crossings? Let me know. This way I won't lay down anymore ATLS stuff nor will I lay down any the Controller/Crossover Triggers on the current route I'm working on.

- RR70

Found the offending items that were causing the crash. Rollingstock called Abellio EMU's that I downloaded from DLS by creator Trainzdepot. The asset details do state that the trains are meant only for TANE. Unfortunately did not download directly into TRS2019 but transferred cdp's from TANE, so missed the warning. Shame as they are excellent and high end graphically.

Last edited:
So what happens in my current circumstance with the Crossover Triggers I use with the Controller as well as the ATLS Crossings? Do I have to replace all ATLS Crossings with TRC Crossings? Let me know. This way I won't lay down anymore ATLS stuff nor will I lay down any the Controller/Crossover Triggers on the current route I'm working on.

- RR70
There are new ASB-crossover assets on the DLS. They work fine in TRS2019-Plus. I just tried them the other day.

The older ones do zap things to the desktop and so does the JR diamond crossing controller.

Glad I spotted this thread. I started having CTDs on my route yesterday. I recently downloaded a bunch of assets from the DLS to see how they might work on my route. I placed a copy of each one in a large unscenic'd area and saved the route. Next day's route building was fine. Day after that, started getting the CTDs. Finally got the route to load and promptly deleted all of the new assets. After that the route began to load fine again. Still don't know which asset(s) were the issue. Strange that these assets were nowhere near where I was working on the route. I placed them about 10 miles away.
I ran into another CTD issue today. I cranked up the detail settings to high/ultra to have a look at what the route looks like. On smaller routes the result is usually a slideshow with framerates in the single digits. With this route, it is CTD almost immediately after selecting to Edit. I'm hoping this is related to the rather dated hardware I am using (I7-4790 with 16GB memory and GTX-770 GPU) and not some assets that don't work on the higher detail settings. Has anyone run into assets that cause issues at higher detail settings, but not at lower detail settings?

Glad I spotted this thread. I started having CTDs on my route yesterday. I recently downloaded a bunch of assets from the DLS to see how they might work on my route. I placed a copy of each one in a large unscenic'd area and saved the route. Next day's route building was fine. Day after that, started getting the CTDs. Finally got the route to load and promptly deleted all of the new assets. After that the route began to load fine again. Still don't know which asset(s) were the issue. Strange that these assets were nowhere near where I was working on the route. I placed them about 10 miles away.
I ran into another CTD issue today. I cranked up the detail settings to high/ultra to have a look at what the route looks like. On smaller routes the result is usually a slideshow with framerates in the single digits. With this route, it is CTD almost immediately after selecting to Edit. I'm hoping this is related to the rather dated hardware I am using (I7-4790 with 16GB memory and GTX-770 GPU) and not some assets that don't work on the higher detail settings. Has anyone run into assets that cause issues at higher detail settings, but not at lower detail settings?

I have never seen that kind of crash from a resolution change so I doubt that's causing the problem. This could very well be related to your video card, or perhaps your system in general. A crash like that is usually a sign of something failing, which would make me look further at the hardware. One of the things that can cause that kind of crash under those circumstances is a power problem. The additional graphics details requires the hardware to work more, thus, draw more current and a flaky power supply can quit and crash the system.

Another thing to look at is cooling. when was the last time you cleaned your case and fans, or reapplied some thermal compound? Trainz, any version, really pushes the hardware and TRS2019 especially really pushes the video card. If things aren't running cool overall, this additional work by your video card can drag down your system. Some components as they get older, will become heat sensitive and crash when under load and when in a warm environment. This can cause many other problems besides Trainz crashes.

Speaking of crashing. Once you've crashed like that, it's highly recommended you run a database repair regardless if the the program does one for you. A crash with the files open for writing can cause data corruption which the repair process maybe able to resolve. Sometimes an Extended Database Repair (EDR) is required if there are additional crashes. In this case press CTRL at the same as clicking on Rebuild Database, which is found on the Launcher or Content Manager under the Developer menu.

Thanks for the heads up about the Extended database repair. I'd read about it before, but was wondering how that was done. I may need to accelerate my plans for PC replacement since the track work is now done and it's time to start adding textures and scenery.

Thanks for the heads up about the Extended database repair. I'd read about it before, but was wondering how that was done. I may need to accelerate my plans for PC replacement since the track work is now done and it's time to start adding textures and scenery.

You're welcome. These little tricks become your "friend" in case of need.

I do recommend cleaning out any dust and dirt from the PC and see how that goes. I'm not saying you have a dirt household, it's that PC cases suck air in and that picks up everything around it, and having a pets such as dogs and cats, doesn't help matters either.

I will say that it really does help in the warmer weather.

You'll need a Rock Blaster squeeze bulb thing, or a can of compressed air. Using a pencil, drink stirrer, or something that can be stuck into the fans to prevent them from spinning, blow the air into them and inside the case to get the dust and fuzz sucked into the case. This can reduce the temperatures substantially and save some money as well until you can get around to purchasing a new PC. A cans of compressed air cost about $3.00 to $5.00 each and are good for single use. A Rocket Blaster costs about $20.00 or less, and is good forever because there is no consumables.

Note: Never use a vacuum to clean out a PC due to static build-up on the hose, because a single zap from the static electricity can destroy a computer.

An update to the CTD issue. When all of the performance settings are set to high/ultra and shadows are turned off or set to low, the route loads. As soon as shadows are set to medium or higher the route crashes to desktop every time. At least now I can avoid the root cause although having shadows does add a lot to the look of the route.

You're welcome. These little tricks become your "friend" in case of need.

I do recommend cleaning out any dust and dirt from the PC and see how that goes. I'm not saying you have a dirt household, it's that PC cases suck air in and that picks up everything around it, and having a pets such as dogs and cats, doesn't help matters either.

I will say that it really does help in the warmer weather.

You'll need a Rock Blaster squeeze bulb thing, or a can of compressed air. Using a pencil, drink stirrer, or something that can be stuck into the fans to prevent them from spinning, blow the air into them and inside the case to get the dust and fuzz sucked into the case. This can reduce the temperatures substantially and save some money as well until you can get around to purchasing a new PC. A cans of compressed air cost about $3.00 to $5.00 each and are good for single use. A Rocket Blaster costs about $20.00 or less, and is good forever because there is no consumables.

Note: Never use a vacuum to clean out a PC due to static build-up on the hose, because a single zap from the static electricity can destroy a computer.

Turkey basters, ones with a rubber bulb on the end work very well for blowing dust!

An update to the CTD issue. When all of the performance settings are set to high/ultra and shadows are turned off or set to low, the route loads. As soon as shadows are set to medium or higher the route crashes to desktop every time. At least now I can avoid the root cause although having shadows does add a lot to the look of the route.

This indicates that your video card probably doesn't have the capabilities to handle the increased graphics, or has a failing component on the board.

Shadows appear to be above all the largest burden on my video card. Having turned them off, even the densest areas of my routes are smooth with good frame rates.

Hi,
Found asset, <kuid2:61392:4053:21> Named Objects Library (TANE SP4 and later) - by pguy is causing the game to crash.
I disabled this asset and game runs fine.
It is tied in with TRC trigger for closing gates. Unfortunately I cannot use the TRC triggers any more.
I am running Trainz Plus build 106618

Last edited:
Hi,
Found asset, <kuid2:61392:4053:21> Named Objects Library (TANE SP4 and later) - by pguy is causing the game to crash.
I disabled this asset and game runs fine.
It is tied in with TRC trigger for closing gates. Unfortunately I cannot use the TRC triggers any more.
I am running Trainz Plus build 106618

View asset version on the asset in Content Manager (right-click and choose that option).

While in the window, delete the asset.

Right-click on the previous version, and choose Download This version.

That should fix your problem.

Back