Madder Vallley Model Railway for Trainz.

I realise this may not be the best time to raise this after what you have been through but what is the state of the Madder Valley project? I am glad you are making progress in your recovery. I well remember when I had a heart attack in my late 50s how weak I was after and how long it took before I had enough strength to even walk round the block. And that was nothing compared to what you have had to endure. Once again Graham I wish you well and a complete recovery.

Thanks John,

Oddly enough over the weekend I changed the track to standard gauge.
For the time being I will work in standard gauge only after deciding that 2ft NG just did not look right compared to the original.
I need to do quite a bit of track re-alignment work and associated bridge replacement.

SG Maddenhorn Tunnel...

SG-Meddenhorn-Tunnel.jpg

At the moment I am having another 'tired' day but will proceed when I can.

stay safe.

Last edited:
Nice work Graham. I think changing to standard gauge was the best move to make since in all the photos of Madder Valley the track is plainly not narrow gauge (Unless you want to call 00 at 4ft narrow gauge that is).

Take good care of yourself and if you have a fatigue day then don't ever feel under any obligation to drag yourself to your computer and try to soldier on.

John was asked by one of his friends why it was not narrow gauge and his reply was it was hard enough as it was. The problem in those days was the size of the motors, hence why the UK settled for 4mm overscale not 3.5mm.

Not surprising John. I used to have copy of John Ahern's book on model locomotive construction and those old motors were big. I have one from those days in an '0' gauge tank engine in my collection and it's huge.

Well, nearly 2 eventful months have passed since I last gave you an update, soooo.....

The model room has had the painters and decorators in, gone are the bare brick walls.
I found an interesting asset for the island too.

Decorated-room.jpg

Lounging about in the DLS were some wagons and vans that needed putting to work..

Dock-Area.jpg

I've been preparing a lot of buildings for the model and they will be going to the DLS today.

Madden-1.jpg

Madden-2.jpg

Madden-3.jpg

I have done some work on the layout itself but not worth showing all the changes yet, when I am happy with the synergy then I will get snap-happy.
I will continue to work on the layout when I can, it's a long haul but I hope it will be worth it.

Update, email has just arrived from N3V.....

all of the above buildings have now been approved so will be available for you to covet "within 24 Hours" lol!

I'll make a post in the freeware forum when they are live.

I'm plesed to see that you are back into production, Graham, and I'm hoping it's a sign that you are feeling much better after all those months.

Best wishes.

Ray

What a lovely set of buildings Graham. Excellent work.

Nice to see that my Madder Valley wagons have somewhere to play at last. I can see this layout becoming a real classic in Trainz once it's done.

Thank you Ray and Annie.
At the moment my good days outnumber my bad days, (probably jinxed it now, lol!)

Ray, did you recognise 2 of your station huts in that lot?

I thought I would start putting assets on the DLS for 2 reasons, firstly, I don't want to end up doing scores of uploads in one go and secondly, I am sure that they will be useful to other members to use.

Yes, indeed I did. I'm always pleased (surprised? flattered?) when something I made appears on a screenshot! These date back a few years, I think.

Ray

Thank you Ray and Annie.
At the moment my good days outnumber my bad days, (probably jinxed it now, lol!)

I thought I would start putting assets on the DLS for 2 reasons, firstly, I don't want to end up doing scores of uploads in one go and secondly, I am sure that they will be useful to other members to use

True to form, Long Covid paid me a visit, been very tired and without energy for 2 days, sleeping pattern totally disrupted.

Today seems to be an OK day so let's see what I can do :D.

Sorry you're having problems with fatigue and being very tired Graham. I know narcolepsy is a different illness, but I can certainly relate to being brain fogged and sleepy and how frustrating it is. I'm going through a patch at the moment and while I'm slowly pushing ahead with various projects it's taking me ages to do anything and I make a lot of mistakes.

Back