Madder Vallley Model Railway for Trainz.

I thought those might be the photos you'd be looking for Graham. Edwardian on the pre-grouping section of RMweb has a wonderful collection of photos from his visit to Pendon and was able to take photos from the other side of the glass that normally separates the public from the Madder Valley layout. His photos are on this page about two thirds of the way down. https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/i...ching/page/1080/&tab=comments#comment-4001913

Edwardian also asked me to point out to you that the Madder Valley Railway is to 4mm scale and is a 00 gauge layout. John Ahern resized some narrow gauge prototypes to the size they would be if they were standard gauge engines and also downsized a Broad Gauge engine to standard gauge for the MVR. Despite appearances all the locos and rolling stock are to 4mm scale.

Thanks for the link Annie, extremely useful!
I am modelling in OO scale (as mentioned in post #1) and I had chosen NG24 because of the sharpness of the points, curves etc that would cause problems with pro-track.
However, I now have in my database a TRS19 standard gauge pro-track that will cope with sharp points (turnouts) and curves.
You may have noticed my subtle change from TANE to TRS19 in my screenshots, initially it was to try this track as a direct replacement to see if it did work...it worked without any alteration to the points radius!!.
So I am now working in TRS19 with the aim of making 2 or 3 versions...

-NG24
-Standard gauge (for small locos and rolling stock, not 9F)
-Possibly a metre or 3ft gauge version.

but first I need to complete what I have started....

Cheers,

p.s, I can just visualise your tram locos on this layout :)

Last edited:
The standard gauge version would be very welcome since I made some MVR goods wagons and uploaded them to the DLS a while ago. And yes my tram engines would be just the thing for those tight curves.

I know I grumbled a lot in the past about TS2019, but once I got it figured out and found ways to work around the irritating bits I've found it really excellent for layout building and it can do stuff that TS2012 can't (Gosh did I really say that!).

Looking good!

A building suggestion: look for TrainBoi1's Snailbeach shed on the DLS. It matches the Madderport loco shed perfectly.

Thanks for the tip Ed, I am searching the DLS in alphabetical order for assets, not got to 'S' yet!
I have a really bad headache today, managed a couple of small reskins but that's it for today.
I have spent too much time at my PC, but that's me, once I get into a project I just want to get stuck in, but health and age get in the way!

cheers

Graham, can you tell me please which pro-track it is that will take sharper curves. I've been looking for such for ages.

tD4Ou6B.jpg

Forum members on RMweb are prodding me towards doing a Craigshire layout. Another ground breaking classic from the days when 009 was in its absolute infancy. I've found a second hand copy of P D Hancock's book on the history of his Craigshire layout and I'm thinking about it.

But which version Annie. You are spoilt for choice; trams or no trams, main line or not and I vaguely remember that there was a newer version after he moved house.

@teddytoot

The track that I will be using for Madden OO will be..
<kuid:217537:141> TTTE - Marklin Track (no ballast)

The track for the NG24 is
<kuid2:359841:101315:1> DMT Pro TRACK 2ft Narrow Gauge, No Ballast

@Annie
Nice choice Annie but as teddytoot said, you need to decide which version first.

@edh6
I tried the engine shed but it is way too small.
I will be using one of Ray Whiley's sheds with a canopy attached (If I can find one!)

Today I have a non-Trainz morning, but after lunch I will be back on track :)

Last edited:
I've been given a copy of the plan that was in a copy of the Railway Modeller from 1957 so it's one of the early ones. It does have trams and the standard gauge side of things doesn't dominate the layout like it did in the later versions of Craigshire. Unless something earlier that I like better turns up this might be the plan I'll go for.

Please excuse me hi-jacking your thread Graham.

wsp6dHV.jpg

Coincidence, Annie, I was thinking the other day about PD Hancock's "Craig" and that he was another inspirational modeller. I hope you go ahead.

Graham - which shed and what kind of canopy?

Ray

Last edited:
Well I had a mess around with the Basemap software yesterday Ray and got it to work Ok so you never know. From photos the line seems to be on the level with all the hollows, lumps and bumps modelled alongside the line which would certainly make it an easier proposition.

Some time ago I made some small scale models intended for a miniature village - maybe they would help with the garden railway! I can't remember offhand what scale the garden railway was at Craig and although I probably have the 1957 RM, I'm not sure where it is!
Ray

Thanks for the information Graham. Unfortunately I cannot see any improvement with those two tracks. They still need the minimum radius of just over 30 metres for the animated track to form. It is unfortunately a property of N3V's built-in coding. That is why for narrow gauge I still tend to use Andi06 inspired wired fixed points.

Some time ago I made some small scale models intended for a miniature village - maybe they would help with the garden railway! I can't remember offhand what scale the garden railway was at Craig and although I probably have the 1957 RM, I'm not sure where it is!
Ray
Out of the blue the custodian of the PD Hancock collection contacted me and offered me access to all the archive material in the collection so I should be able to find out more about the garden railway. I can vaguely remember seeing a photo of it in RM, but I don't have any of my old RM magazines now so I can't check with magazine it was. I shall keep your kind offer in mind Ray for when I get that far with this project.

That's wonderful, Annie - perhaps he's a Trainz enthusiast? I have a feeling that the garden railway was a clockwork toy, but I may be wrong (not unusual) but I'm fairly sure someone did that.
Ray

Back in Madden there's been plenty going on behind the scenes and at last I can share a screenshot with you, the improved Maddenhorn area with that odd bridge!

Maddenhorn-Area.jpg

Looking great Graham. Seeing the Madderhorn tunnel reminds me that way back in an article on the Madder Valley when it first went to Pendon, the writer commented that with the variety of rolling stock that John created, was there a secret junction to the outside world in the tunnel. That made me think; perhaps a junction there to a portal.

Back