Madder Vallley Model Railway for Trainz.

Well today real life got in the way of my virtual life, but I did make a little bit of progress up around the mill at March Madden. (Much Madder)

I've done the basics at the boatyard and started work on the town..

Around-The-Boat-Yard.jpg

This next shot is of the 3 bridges behind the mill, I used a bit of imagination because I couldn't find any close-up pictures.

3-bridges-behind-the-mill.jpg

A view behind the scenes - organised chaos!

The houses this side of the ruler are candidates for the village and the squiggly lines the far side of the canal are Malc's paths/tracks.

The Maddenport rails need moving to the right, but not until the village layout is completed.

Behind-the-scenes%21.jpg

I might take a break from this project tomorrow so I'll probably post here again on Thursday evening.

Cheers,

Ah you do that too Graham. On some WIP corners of my layouts I also lay down sample rows of houses, trees, roads & etc so I don't have to scramble about trying to find them in the surveyor lists.

Ah you do that too Graham. On some WIP corners of my layouts I also lay down sample rows of houses, trees, roads & etc so I don't have to scramble about trying to find them in the surveyor lists.

I do the same! I find these to be a lot easier sometimes than the pick-lists. Back in the TS2010 days, I had a series of blanks with content on them that I would merge into my current route I was working on.

Graham, I've discovered that I have a picture of the brickworks looking down into the quarry. I must have got it from the web but can't find it online now. If you are interested PM me your email and I'll send you a copy.

John, I am happy with what I've made, I don't want to get frustrated again!
I have found some more photos in RM Web, I've also discovered that the odd looking building there is in fact a kiln for making the bricks, which I don't think is available in Trainz, happy to be proved wrong though.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/i...-that-inspire/&do=findComment&comment=2661908

I am taking a break from the route this afternoon and spending some time pottering about in the garden while it's sunny but breezy.

Cheers,
Graham

I am still working on the route, today has been spent around the station and village around March Madden (Much Madder.)
I've been doing building searches and reskinng for most of the day. I have actually found a perfectly shaped octagonal building that goes alongside the station building! I found it in Russia! Just waiting for permission to reskin.
Unfortunately nothing worth a screenshot yet, but tomorrow there should be some for you.

Today I have some screenshots for you.
I have made some more reskins, station layout relaid at March Madden, Flitches Farm and Bert's Garage in place, track re-aligned to Maddenport.

March Madden Left Side...
The octagonal building needs a reskin, just waiting to hear from one of our Russian members before I proceed.

The pub is a reskin of one of clam1952's Welsh Houses, the white house next to it is a reskin of a Bob Sander's house.
The garage is a Mason Taylor asset as is the station building which needs Maddenising :)

March-Madden-Left-Side.jpg

March Madden Right side..Light grey cottages are a reskin of a Mason Taylor asset, the half-timbered house is actually four assets placed together to form the house, house and extensions are on clam1952 meshes and the dormer is on a Bob Sanders/John Whelan mesh. Houses at the back are untouched Domsarto assets.

March-Madden-Left-Side.jpg

The view from Hammen Halt to March Madden..

Hammen-Halt-to-March-Madder.jpg

The track for Maddenport has now been re-aligned.

Track-to-Maddenport-re-aligned.jpg

Still a few hour's work left yet :hehe:

Last edited:
Nice work Graham. I've certainly heard of Madder Valley, one of the classics along with Buckingham Great Central etc.

Looking forward to taking a session or two on the finished article.

Thanks Vern, I am not too good at making sessions so you are welcome to do some.

After a day or two away from this project I returned today and reskinned some more buildings and faffed around making little adjustments here and there.

A couple of screenies for you in TRS19
A fresh reskin of the station building and the signal box.
New green shed next to the pub too!

March-Madden-Station.jpg

The mill was pulled down and a new one with new outbuildings put in it's place.
The mill is a reskin of Mason Taylor's Regency Terrace and the overhead hoist covers are reworked Butt 'n' Ben dormers.!
The orange toned thatch cottage has gone and replaced (lower edge of shot)

Mill-Area.jpg

More 'soon' :)

Thanks for the update Graham. Following along with a good deal of interest, but I guess you knew that already.

Looking good Graham. I personally regret that John replaced Gammon End Quarry and Halt with Flitch's Farm in his second layout but he must have felt it too close to Much Madder.

One of the annoying things about my research is that objects on the layout seem to get shifted around, not just between versions but also on the Pendon version.

It would have helped my research if Pendon hadn't removed the corner at the farm, they've put a church in there that I don't recall being on the second version, but is still painted on the backdrop.

I will not be able to make a replica, just a representation, but I will do my best to 'get the feel' of it.

Well I figuratively turned a corner today and made huge progress.
I was feeling aprehensive about the lock, but a bit of imagineering and eventually I had it sorted out...as well as a lattice bridge cobbled together out of parts!

Canal-Lock-1.jpg

Then I sculpted the canal/river out and made the channel for Madden Port docks....

Madden-Port.jpg

More soon :)

Nice work Graham. Docks and locks aren't easy to do properly; - makes me wonder why I make a rod for my own back by including them on my own layouts. (Simple answer: I like them.)

Progress has been made.

I spent time over the weekend looking for suitable buildings to use, did lots of reskins.
Today I did some work on Madden Port, looked for more buildings on the DLS and then a major feature was built...
we now have the room constructed....

Room-1.jpg

Room-2.jpg

Room-3.jpg

The room had to be an educated guess, I have no idea what Mr. Ahearn's room was like!

That's it for today, back soon with more.

Cheers.

XQCO0AC.jpg

Now the layout is looking in every way like the Madder Valley Graham. Excellent work, you've got a Trainz classic in the making and no mistake.

These are some photos that were passed onto me by a friend who made a visit to Pendon and was permitted to take photos behind the glass. I thought the photos might be useful to aid you in your endeavours.

IMG_4214.JPG.31b4cadaf772568c0fbd5d4da3876de4.JPG

123714399_2019-10-18(294).JPG.9a87a1092c9ec6e4099f588cf35ec42a.JPG

1375926729_2019-10-18(293).JPG.3d3a583c6a4b69ce599380fcf7845b57.JPG

1049419467_2019-10-18(219).JPG.27d797ebf18e8b873bd2ec991b37e602.JPG

Last edited:
Annie those photos are just what I need for the port area.
The second photo shows a side of the quay that is not on plan 2 but the buildings are on it. (it was just a bare board edge).
It is only when making the layout that you realise that some visual pieces are missing, you've just sent me most of the missing pieces,
sending you a big warm hug as a reward :)

Cheers

Back