Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Madder Vallley Model Railway for Trainz.

Thanks Vern, I am not too good at making sessions so you are welcome to do some.

After a day or two away from this project I returned today and reskinned some more buildings and faffed around making little adjustments here and there.

A couple of screenies for you in TRS19
    A fresh reskin of the station building and the signal box.
    New green shed next to the pub too!

The mill was pulled down and a new one with new outbuildings put in it's place.
    The mill is a reskin of Mason Taylor's Regency Terrace and the overhead hoist covers are reworked Butt 'n' Ben dormers.!
    The orange toned thatch cottage has gone and replaced (lower edge of shot)

More 'soon'

Thanks for the update Graham. Following along with a good deal of interest, but I guess you knew that already.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Blog Entries

Looking good Graham. I personally regret that John replaced Gammon End Quarry and Halt with Flitch's Farm in his second layout but he must have felt it too close to Much Madder.
    John,
    (A bear of little brain)

One of the annoying things about my research is that objects on the layout seem to get shifted around, not just between versions but also on the Pendon version.

It would have helped my research if Pendon hadn't removed the corner at the farm, they've put a church in there that I don't recall being on the second version, but is still painted on the backdrop.

I will not be able to make a replica, just a representation, but I will do my best to 'get the feel' of it.

Well I figuratively turned a corner today and made huge progress.
    I was feeling aprehensive about the lock, but a bit of imagineering and eventually I had it sorted out...as well as a lattice bridge cobbled together out of parts!

Then I sculpted the canal/river out and made the channel for Madden Port docks....

More soon

Nice work Graham. Docks and locks aren't easy to do properly; - makes me wonder why I make a rod for my own back by including them on my own layouts. (Simple answer: I like them.)

Progress has been made.

I spent time over the weekend looking for suitable buildings to use, did lots of reskins.
    Today I did some work on Madden Port, looked for more buildings on the DLS and then a major feature was built...
    we now have the room constructed....

The room had to be an educated guess, I have no idea what Mr. Ahearn's room was like!

That's it for today, back soon with more.

Cheers.

Now the layout is looking in every way like the Madder Valley Graham. Excellent work, you've got a Trainz classic in the making and no mistake.

These are some photos that were passed onto me by a friend who made a visit to Pendon and was permitted to take photos behind the glass. I thought the photos might be useful to aid you in your endeavours.

Last edited by KotangaGirl; June 9th, 2020 at 12:58 AM. Reason: added more pictures

Annie those photos are just what I need for the port area.
    The second photo shows a side of the quay that is not on plan 2 but the buildings are on it. (it was just a bare board edge).
    It is only when making the layout that you realise that some visual pieces are missing, you've just sent me most of the missing pieces,
    sending you a big warm hug as a reward

Cheers

I thought those might be the photos you'd be looking for Graham. Edwardian on the pre-grouping section of RMweb has a wonderful collection of photos from his visit to Pendon and was able to take photos from the other side of the glass that normally separates the public from the Madder Valley layout. His photos are on this page about two thirds of the way down. https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/in...omment-4001913

Edwardian also asked me to point out to you that the Madder Valley Railway is to 4mm scale and is a 00 gauge layout. John Ahern resized some narrow gauge prototypes to the size they would be if they were standard gauge engines and also downsized a Broad Gauge engine to standard gauge for the MVR. Despite appearances all the locos and rolling stock are to 4mm scale.

Thanks for the link Annie, extremely useful!
    I am modelling in OO scale (as mentioned in post #1) and I had chosen NG24 because of the sharpness of the points, curves etc that would cause problems with pro-track.
    However, I now have in my database a TRS19 standard gauge pro-track that will cope with sharp points (turnouts) and curves.
    You may have noticed my subtle change from TANE to TRS19 in my screenshots, initially it was to try this track as a direct replacement to see if it did work...it worked without any alteration to the points radius!!.
    So I am now working in TRS19 with the aim of making 2 or 3 versions...

-NG24
    -Standard gauge (for small locos and rolling stock, not 9F)
    -Possibly a metre or 3ft gauge version.

but first I need to complete what I have started....

Cheers,

p.s, I can just visualise your tram locos on this layout
    Last edited by euromodeller; June 11th, 2020 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added 3ft

The standard gauge version would be very welcome since I made some MVR goods wagons and uploaded them to the DLS a while ago. And yes my tram engines would be just the thing for those tight curves.

I know I grumbled a lot in the past about TS2019, but once I got it figured out and found ways to work around the irritating bits I've found it really excellent for layout building and it can do stuff that TS2012 can't (Gosh did I really say that!).

Looking good!

A building suggestion: look for TrainBoi1's Snailbeach shed on the DLS. It matches the Madderport loco shed perfectly.

Thanks for the tip Ed, I am searching the DLS in alphabetical order for assets, not got to 'S' yet!
    I have a really bad headache today, managed a couple of small reskins but that's it for today.
    I have spent too much time at my PC, but that's me, once I get into a project I just want to get stuck in, but health and age get in the way!

cheers