Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Madder Vallley Model Railway for Trainz.

Quote Originally Posted by edh6 View Post
    Some great progress here so far. I've been looking at the rolling stock used on the original layout, looks like most of it can be represented by things already in Trainz, but possibly some new balcony ended coaches might be in order.
    Sounds like a good idea Ed

I've been working on this since 10a.m, but have had to ahere to one hour on 1 hour off for the sake of my health!
    Great progress has been made at the top right corner around the sawmill and island.
    I've not done the screenshots yet because there is more to do.
    I'll be back later with them.

Cheers

p.s. thanks for the encouragement

Today's marathon has finished!

Today I have reskinned 2 bridges and 4 buildings plus an embankment.
    I had to enlarge the map in the top right corner (Mill end) to make everything fit in!
    It's only when you make a layout out of a set of pictures that you realise there are no close-ups of an important area!
    I am talking about what's going on behind the mill, 2 roads and the railway are all there, so I just took a punt at the scene and I am happy with the result.
    Enough waffle, now for the result...

Hammen Wold Halt (Gammon Worthy) and Cuckoo Island

The Mill area with the sawmill at the back.

From aloft..

I still have all of the detailing to do, fences, trees etc but not until the basics are finished.

Cheers,
    Graham.
    Last edited by euromodeller; May 25th, 2020 at 04:21 PM.

Excellent work Graham. Another classic Trainz layout in the making.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Blog Entries

I take it you have got John's plan which gives a good idea of the layout. If not it is here.
    John,
    (A bear of little brain)

Quote Originally Posted by teddytoot View Post
    I take it you have got John's plan which gives a good idea of the layout. If not it is here.
    Thanks John, I have plans for the 3 public versions and it is the second version that I am following.
    The problem with published plans is that they are usually not quite right for Trainz, my experience is that curves and buildings are too small, at least in Trainz they are easier to alter, in an actual model railway...well not so easy.
    I had insomnia last night, at 3 a.m. I recoloured the buildings in the above shots to tone down the colour (too bright) and I made the boat yard next to the humpback bridge, I also shortened the Maddenhorn tunnel!
    I managed to sleep between 6.30 and 8.30 am so I predict at least one 'power nap' today.

More later if I am awake

Well today real life got in the way of my virtual life, but I did make a little bit of progress up around the mill at March Madden. (Much Madder)

I've done the basics at the boatyard and started work on the town..

This next shot is of the 3 bridges behind the mill, I used a bit of imagination because I couldn't find any close-up pictures.

A view behind the scenes - organised chaos!

The houses this side of the ruler are candidates for the village and the squiggly lines the far side of the canal are Malc's paths/tracks.

The Maddenport rails need moving to the right, but not until the village layout is completed.

I might take a break from this project tomorrow so I'll probably post here again on Thursday evening.

Cheers,

Ah you do that too Graham. On some WIP corners of my layouts I also lay down sample rows of houses, trees, roads & etc so I don't have to scramble about trying to find them in the surveyor lists.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    Ah you do that too Graham. On some WIP corners of my layouts I also lay down sample rows of houses, trees, roads & etc so I don't have to scramble about trying to find them in the surveyor lists.
    I do the same! I find these to be a lot easier sometimes than the pick-lists. Back in the TS2010 days, I had a series of blanks with content on them that I would merge into my current route I was working on.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

Blog Entries

Graham, I've discovered that I have a picture of the brickworks looking down into the quarry. I must have got it from the web but can't find it online now. If you are interested PM me your email and I'll send you a copy.
    John,
    (A bear of little brain)

John, I am happy with what I've made, I don't want to get frustrated again!
    I have found some more photos in RM Web, I've also discovered that the odd looking building there is in fact a kiln for making the bricks, which I don't think is available in Trainz, happy to be proved wrong though.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/in...omment=2661908

I am taking a break from the route this afternoon and spending some time pottering about in the garden while it's sunny but breezy.

Cheers,
    Graham

I am still working on the route, today has been spent around the station and village around March Madden (Much Madder.)
    I've been doing building searches and reskinng for most of the day. I have actually found a perfectly shaped octagonal building that goes alongside the station building! I found it in Russia! Just waiting for permission to reskin.
    Unfortunately nothing worth a screenshot yet, but tomorrow there should be some for you.

Today I have some screenshots for you.
    I have made some more reskins, station layout relaid at March Madden, Flitches Farm and Bert's Garage in place, track re-aligned to Maddenport.

March Madden Left Side...
    The octagonal building needs a reskin, just waiting to hear from one of our Russian members before I proceed.

The pub is a reskin of one of clam1952's Welsh Houses, the white house next to it is a reskin of a Bob Sander's house.
    The garage is a Mason Taylor asset as is the station building which needs Maddenising

March Madden Right side..Light grey cottages are a reskin of a Mason Taylor asset, the half-timbered house is actually four assets placed together to form the house, house and extensions are on clam1952 meshes and the dormer is on a Bob Sanders/John Whelan mesh. Houses at the back are untouched Domsarto assets.

The view from Hammen Halt to March Madden..

The track for Maddenport has now been re-aligned.

Still a few hour's work left yet
    Last edited by euromodeller; May 31st, 2020 at 12:48 PM.

It's really starting to come together now.

Quote Originally Posted by edh6 View Post
    It's really starting to come together now.
    I agree +++

Nice work Graham. I've certainly heard of Madder Valley, one of the classics along with Buckingham Great Central etc.

Looking forward to taking a session or two on the finished article.
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)