Back on the main line

lewisner

Hello everybody , after playing Trainz for many years I gave it up about 2013. I recently bought TRS2019 and I have a number of questions to get me started again. I found to my surprise that my self built routes were still hidden away on an old hard drive and I have imported them into TRS 2019.
So, the first question. Both in Surveyor and Driver my routes are covered in orange cubic frameworks. What are these things and how can I disable them or get rid of them ?

Welcome back!

Those orange framework-things indicate missing assets. You can either delete them, or find their replacements on the DLS or from backups. By deleting, you can use the delete missing assets function found under the main menu (I think in regular TRS2019). If you are in Platinum or above, you need to click on the tools menu and use it there. These versions offer some newer interface differences, but they are compatible otherwise.

The kicker is if they are Speed Trees from TS12, they have to be replaced with a new version in order to work in T:ANE and up. TRS2019, like T:ANE, is a 64-bit version of Trainz and requires the 64-bit libraries in Version 6 of the Speed Tree libraries. IDV, the company that makes Speed Trees, offers no upgrade path for previous versions of anything so the old trees won't work and have to be replaced.

It was a letdown for us all, but once you get past that, the rest is business as usual for most assets.

If you still have TS12, you can use that to update your route with other trees besides the Speed Trees in that version, and either keep them or update them to the Speed Trees in TRS2019. RMM made TS12-compatible trees that are automatically updateable in TRS2019. If you use RMM's Speed Trees, you can download the replacements in TRS2019 when you bring the route over.

Hope this helps.

Welcome back!

Those orange framework-things indicate missing assets. You can either delete them, or find their replacements on the DLS or from backups. By deleting, you can use the delete missing assets function found under the main menu (I think in regular TRS2019). If you are in Platinum or above, you need to click on the tools menu and use it there. These versions offer some newer interface differences, but they are compatible otherwise.

The kicker is if they are Speed Trees from TS12, they have to be replaced with a new version in order to work in T:ANE and up. TRS2019, like T:ANE, is a 64-bit version of Trainz and requires the 64-bit libraries in Version 6 of the Speed Tree libraries. IDV, the company that makes Speed Trees, offers no upgrade path for previous versions of anything so the old trees won't work and have to be replaced.

It was a letdown for us all, but once you get past that, the rest is business as usual for most assets.

If you still have TS12, you can use that to update your route with other trees besides the Speed Trees in that version, and either keep them or update them to the Speed Trees in TRS2019. RMM made TS12-compatible trees that are automatically updateable in TRS2019. If you use RMM's Speed Trees, you can download the replacements in TRS2019 when you bring the route over.

Hope this helps.

Yes that's a big help John. The trees are another issue which I see is covered in another thread here. I originally selected them as the best I could find but now they show up as translucent cross shaped trees which it seems are called Billboards so I will have to find something to replace them. I don't want those weird looking trees which swayed in the breeze as though they were made of rubber ! I've imported my routes from TRS12 and saved the whole TRS12 software to a USB stick to keep it safe as I thought I had deleted it but like I said there it was hidden away. If I can get rid of those horrible orange boxes that will be a good start.

Yes that's a big help John. The trees are another issue which I see is covered in another thread here. I originally selected them as the best I could find but now they show up as translucent cross shaped trees which it seems are called Billboards so I will have to find something to replace them. I don't want those weird looking trees which swayed in the breeze as though they were made of rubber ! I've imported my routes from TRS12 and saved the whole TRS12 software to a USB stick to keep it safe as I thought I had deleted it but like I said there it was hidden away. If I can get rid of those horrible orange boxes that will be a good start.

The newer Speed Trees don't bend in the breeze like the old ones do. Yay!

To narrow down the orange boxes, go into Content Manager.

Content Manager is different if you haven't noticed already, but it still works the same. For starters, you need to set things up so they're easier to work with. The first thing I did is add in all the columns. Right-click on one of the columns, and choose one of the categories. Add them all by repeating the process. Once that's done, you can spread them out, and place them in any order you wish. I like this particular layout.

Type, Status, Asset ID, Name, Build Version, File Size, Author Username, Modification Date, Installation Date, and Upload Date.

Right-click on your route, and choose view dependencies.

Another window will open up showing the contents.

Click on status until you have all the blanks, or and Available for Download showing at the top. You maybe lucky and only have items to download.

If you have items to download, highlight them, right-click, and choose download. This will install the asset.

If you have any unknown, you need to search those Kuids in your old data, and at other sources.

There's plenty of variations on this theme with many more filters you can setup. I don't want to overwhelm and confuse you by giving you way more than you can chew at once.

Back