Crash To Desktop

JackDownUnder

I had terrible troubles a couple of days ago, Trainz would not load.
Leading up to this I had observed an increasing number of lock ups and other errors which were not present in earlier runs.
I submitted a Bug Report two days ago, in the meantime I carried out a few procedures before finally importing my previous days cdp saves;-

a) ran ctrl Rebuild Database
b) cleared the log file

Imported save cdp's of route and session.

Bingo this solved the problem so I assume the route and session were corrupted.

Late in the afternoon yesterday I started my session, it ran fine until sometime whilst having dinner it crashed out.

These type of errors would be difficult to sort out, I would guess.

This morning I have cleared done some work on the route and a minor change to the session.

I have cleared the log file and will run the session once again.

One thought has come to mind, this relates to my ADSL internet connection.
Due to the current lockdown status for Australia and NSW where I live I suspect that our local Telstra exchange is over loaded.

Would a disconnected internet connection cause a game crash????

Hi Jack,

I doubt the internet connection has much to do with this. Outside of something wrong with your hard disk and or your Windows install, these kinds of crashes are the sign of something that has somehow become corrupted. If you were to run the route again, does it crash in the same location? It could be a bad texture on an asset, or a bad mesh that bogs down and causes the CTD.

Other things that can cause crashes are incompatible scripts, but these usually cause a crash immediately on start up of the route in driver.

Scripted assets can be a bit easier to find due to their nature, but individual assets can be a bear due to the shear number of them.

I ran into this with a TS12 route. This was a mashup of multiple routes and was about 305 km long. Driving the route, when it would work properly, could take up to 8 hours or more depending upon which route I chose. The problem was I had one area where if I looked a particular way, I'd face the desktop immediately. If I looked the other way, I'd skip by that with awful stutters and be able to continue on fine as long as I remembered not to look in that particular direction! I was quite annoyed with the route and I was actualy contemplating deleting it and calling it a day on that one.

I didn't and just resigned to the fact that there's something wrong in that spot and this continued on right through converting the route for T:ANE. If you remember older Speed Trees had to be replaced with something that would load into T:ANE. I was in the middle of replacing trees and I clicked on one from my pick-list I setup. This particular, rather innocuous maple tree from Mcguirel, disappeared from my view and TS12 did a CTD immediately! This was the tree that was causing the problem all along. The fact that it existed within a forest with lots of other trees, I'd never find it if I tried to look otherwise.

Eventually with a quick select, not look too long and replacement in the Bulk Assets replace tool, I got passed it. After replacing that tree, the performance of the route improved so that particular tree was dragging everything down whether I looked at it or not.

The other way to find out which asset is causing the problem, without doing a replace assets for no reason, is to use Content Manager and disable groups of third-party assets a bunch at a time. 50 to 100 is a good number to work with. If that particular group doesn't fix the problem, continue on until you eliminate the problem then work backwards to smaller and smaller groups until you find the culprit causing the crash.

Many thanks for your comments.
My session is currently running so will wait and see.
I had similar thoughts this morning, I intend to;-

- Delete all speed trees if they are still there.
- Save cdp's of route and session
- Run delete missing assets.

Also I have since about Feb./Mar. not been able to use "Wait for Trigger"
So I will do the disable thing to try and resolve that issue.

What a difference a day makes.
Session performing as it used to do, at the moment, commenced at 0515 hrs and it is now 0837 hrs.
A1 errors now not evident.

Last edited:
This particular, rather innocuous maple tree from Mcguirel

Yes I've had issues with that one, think there was one of the Oaks that did similar.

Disabling all the Speedtrees may initially be a better option in case it's not a tree causing the problem, I had one with a 1930s car causing lockups and crashes, strangely enough deleting it running a DBR and then downloading it again solved the problem all very strange.

Yes I've had issues with that one, think there was one of the Oaks that did similar.

Disabling all the Speedtrees may initially be a better option in case it's not a tree causing the problem, I had one with a 1930s car causing lockups and crashes, strangely enough deleting it running a DBR and then downloading it again solved the problem all very strange.

I was lucky that I didn't stumble on that one as well. I tend to use both tree species on my routes because they're so common where I live including in my own backyard.

You're not the only one. For me, a CTD happens when switching from Driver to Surveyor, and it only started after SP1 came out.

Grrr, TRS19 is so weird! I installed a route exported from TANE, installed new three payware locomotives, and three new payware rail cars. Now I can't create a new session in any route without a CDT. Oh, come on!

OK I got that off my chest while I'm rebuilding the database.

Grrr!

D'oh hard drive full. Again. :hehe:

Last edited:
Back