Track Ballast Colour Variation

pitmilly

Am using LRW Track, Wood, Bullhead, Brown Ballast (K:101839:21010) on WIP route. Have noticed when logging into an Editing session that the colour of track already laid is not constant from session to session and can vary between the stated brown and the alternative LRW grey shade as per K:101839:21024). Similarly when laying down completely new track. There appears to be some colour instability from session to session which is only apparent with this ballast.

Any thoughts, anyone?

regards

John

Are the environmental settings for time of day, ambient and sun colours etc., exactly the same in these comparisons? Does the ballast colour vary with viewing distance? (thinking it might implicate the textures used on LOD meshes).

Some screenshots to demonstrate the effect might be helpful.

Last edited:
Right you are. It’s a conflict of 2 different texture materials having the same material name, as reported by p-dehnert in post #50 of that thread. That was a year ago, I’m surprised it has not been fixed yet.

Last edited:
Thank you DR and Graham for your help on this.

I haven't altered any settings during route building and the viewing distance has no discernible impact on the colour being displayed. Its mostly the selected brown colour but can turn grey whenever the mood takes it.

Have read through the entire original thread on this topic. It seems to have taxed quite a few people and it's not entirely clear that the problem has yet been resolved. As you have identified, the 7 August 2017 post #50 from p-dehnert (see below) suggests a way forward:-

"The problem is <kuid:101839:60004> LRW Track Mesh Library. The mesh files for the brown ballast (starting with ballast-b- ) and for the grey ballast (starting with ballast-g- ) use the same material name ballast.m.tbumptex. Changing the material name, using a hex editor, of the grey ballast files to ballasg.m.tbumptex fixed the problem.
Trainz doesn't like 2 meshes in the same folder using the same material name, but having different textures for the materials.

Peter"

A later post, #72, 18 July 2019,from GP30Fan indicates this fix resolved the problem, at least for him.

As such, went into (TRS 2019 Build 105096) CM and opened the config txt files for 60004, also 21010 (brown) and 21024 (grey) and started looking for the mesh asset files as described by Peter, hoping to be able to do the same 3 minute fix.

However, my screen displayed the following:-

Brown Ballast

Lod O "Ballast - B - O. im"
Lod 1 "Ballast - B - 1. im"
Lod 2 "Ballast - B - 2. im"
Lod 3 "Ballast - B - 3. im"

Grey Ballast

Data and layout identical to Brown Ballast as above, EXCEPT for letter "B", substitute letter "G". Not exactly the data format that Peter described.

First question - am I looking in the right place/the right data and second, if I am, have the config. txt/mesh asset files been altered/upgraded since August 2017.

Third question - which way from here?

John

Yes, the same material has different diffuse images rather than different values.

I was under the impression that lielestosbrat was intending to fix the problem, not sure what happened.

Only time I have actually seen this problem lately was on the initial run of my WIP route after patching, didn't happen though on the last TRS19 Plus patches.

No the mesh library config hasn't been updated, however I suspect something in the game code has changed which is why it isn't now being a permanent issue, it was originally. I definitely fixed it in TANE back in 2017 then it got changed to builtin with the TANE version of the Cornwall Route, so unfixed again.

Problem with the material names still exists though.

As nothing appears to have been done and lielestosbrat has vanished I'll see if I can get it added to the repair list so we can fix it through the CRG.

Open <kuid:101839:60004> LRW Track Mesh Library for editing in explorer. For the grey ballast you should find the following files:
ballast-g-0.im
ballast-g-1.im
ballast-g-2.im
ballast-g-3.im
ballast-g-next.im
ballast-g-prev.im

These files have to be modified using a hex editor (or easier the IM Editor). Every occurence of ballast.m.tbumptex has to changed to ballasg.m.tbumptex.
Using a hex editor, make sure to replace the character t by the character g, don't insert anything. Using the IM Editor, it's a lot easier changing the material name.

Peter

Malc,

Thank you for your input and yes, I agree that it would be a good idea to get it fixed through CRG. LRW track is a great asset for the UK (and others) route builder and my experience would indicate that the problem can surface at any time.

Peter,

Thank you also for your detailed guidance. Hex Editors (I used Hex Editor Neo) were totally new territory for me and I was a little nervous about making the changes in case I banjaxed the entire asset. However, the "t's" have now been converted to "g's" as you directed and in Surveyor both existing and new track are showing brown ballast. Success!!!!! I'm working on the premise that these changes are going to be permanent.

Again, many thanks

John

Hopefully now sorted.
Added to the Repair list, fixed using the same method as Peter so we are all on the same page, it's been tested by a fellow CRG member, uploaded and approved so updated version should be on the DLS within 24 hours.

Edit:

Now available on the DLS.

Last edited:
Back