To Be or Not, er, I mean Townsville Yes or No?

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
Ok, sitting at the pc too much and going wacky, what's new! Since January I've been saying I've nearly finished my Bathurst Route, and I am determined to have it finished this month. Which then leads me to, what next? I've considered a number of routes, including an updated Zig-Zag which would be extended to Penrith (to Lithgow), but I see someone is planing/started Doonside to Parkes. I rather doubt that will actually get completed (no offense) but that's over 300 kms! I thought of my home town New Plymouth in NZ, but the demand for such an unknown area, all single track would be low. I could do Lithgow to Mudgee (via Wallerawang), but I'm thinking Townsville which is bigger and more well known, would be a more popular idea.

My other thinking was Townsville in the 1940's would also make a setting for WW2 given it was bombed 3 times by the Japs, and has a harbour plus 3 railways, ie north and south on the main coastal line and inland to Mt Isa. Wondering what others think as it's an important decision when it takes 2 years to build. If I do go with that, where can I find all the grades, plans and info I'd need, it's not as though I'm anywhere near it, but I do like to get it as accurate as possible. By the way, for those who don't know it's narrow gauge 3ft 6in, which covers the entire state, more or less. Thoughts?

I really don't think there are enough NZ routes ,theres the Manawatu gorge line and if you were interested in a really difficult kiwi route, why not the trans alpine ? ......... certainly a challenge. It would be a great route to model , but then I really like routes that travel through mountains........

I say go with what interests you the most or what gives you the most joy.

Doing something because someone else likes it will eventually not give you enough to go on and as a result route building will end up feeling like it takes forever.

Back