Too many routes?

Forester1

I set my CM to Routes and sessions and then sorted by type. I am apparently up to 202 routes! Because TS2019 uses a thumbnail for each route down at the bottom, it can often take several minutes just to get the list of routes up. Is there a way to turn this off and just get a list of routes like in T:ANE?

No, there isn't, however regular DBRs will keep things loading fast and smooth, even with over 300 routes as I have.

No, there isn't, however regular DBRs will keep things loading fast and smooth, even with over 300 routes as I have.

I'm going to be predictable and gripe . This is one of the major reasons I don't regularly use 2019. why make those route thumbnails so darned big so you cant scan and quickly find a route ? ?
Hate the interface , whatever possessed NV3 to adopt this lame , over busy and impractical layout ?
In fact NV3 remind me of Apple, they remove some really good features and replace them with something that is'nt as good or they remove the ability to do the task completely. From what i understand, there's no instant load feature anymore, I used to use this to quickly drive a loaded train for testing out grades to see whether helpers were needed or not, now why on earth remove that feature, was it causing issues ?

Hey guys,

I agree that the list version of the routes in TANE is a lot less cumbersome than the thumbnail version of the routes in TRS2019, but I have found that if I use the "favorites" listing instead of the "installed" listing, it's a whole lot less cumbersome. Of course, that means you have to do some picking and choosing ahead of time. If I really want to run a route I haven't run for a while, I can always switch to the "installed" listing and pay the time penalty to dig through the listing. Most of the time my "favorites" listing works just fine.

Bob Morrison

I only wish we could group them, or create our own route pick-lists so that we can have built-in routes, DLC, our own, or DLS separated for instance. With custom categories, we could even setup narrow gauge routes, or even model railroad route categories as well. This would really help I think and make this easier.

I only wish we could group them, or create our own route pick-lists so that we can have built-in routes, DLC, our own, or DLS separated for instance. With custom categories, we could even setup narrow gauge routes, or even model railroad route categories as well. This would really help I think and make this easier.

good idea, so it will probably never be implemented!:)

I'm going to be predictable and gripe . This is one of the major reasons I don't regularly use 2019. why make those route thumbnails so darned big so you cant scan and quickly find a route ? ?
Hate the interface , whatever possessed NV3 to adopt this lame , over busy and impractical layout ?
In fact NV3 remind me of Apple, they remove some really good features and replace them with something that is'nt as good or they remove the ability to do the task completely. From what i understand, there's no instant load feature anymore, I used to use this to quickly drive a loaded train for testing out grades to see whether helpers were needed or not, now why on earth remove that feature, was it causing issues ?

Probably because lots of people complained about the list method in TANE, yet another case of be careful what you wish for. At least you can just list your own Routes which is an improvement on being buried in a long list.
Not just Apple, Microsoft are just as bad.

Just start typing the name of route. When the "Routes" screen opens the cursor is sitting there and ready in the "Search" field. For a "list" of my routes just set a Routes filter in CM, copy, and paste into Notepad or other editor or spreadsheet. Then print for easy quick reference. Much faster and better than the thumbnails interface. Sometimes "old school" is the best way.

Well, My original thought was not to complain about the interface, I actually kind of like it. But I upgraded to a newer faster computer just to help performance issues in T:ANE, and everyone said that TS2019 needed no more than T:ANE, and in fact ran better on some systems. It does seem to run pretty smooth, except when it does a CTD (Rare in T:ANE, more common in TS2019), or sometimes I will switch from say, chase view to cab view, and then be unable to get chase view again (It just goes white, with sometimes some gray, will zoom back to cab view, but zooming out goes back to white). Last night I brought up the locos list and had the same long wait for it to bring up a list of locos, so it isn't just routes. Grazlash, I have done a good bit more Extended DBRs in ts2019 than I ever did in T:ANE, and I am still having more interface issues, which I never had in T:ANE. So while I like the look of 2019 overall, I am concluding it is just not near as stable an interface as T:ANE, and maybe sometimes when they try to get fancy things get disrupted. Dangavel, your rant against Apple reminds me of my rants against Microsoft. In Windows 95 I could set the color of everything, including scroll bars and buttons, Windows backgrounds, etc. Now they have taken it all away, and I think they are trying to blind us old guys with shades of gray one can hardly distinguish! I usually have to look hard to find the scroll button on a web page or in CM, to figure out where I am. Well, I guess that is just me getting old. What maybe would be nice would be taking the chunk of code from T:ANE and putting it in an "OR" module, connected to a "classic interface" button, so you could get the old list, and those that don't like it can keep the thumbnails. Thank you everyone for the feedback!

Edit: And why do outfits like Apple and Microsoft take away much-desired features anyway? Because they have so much code bloat they have to take out stuff users like? I don't get why I shouldn't be able to pick colors I can see. (And yes, I can go for a high-contrast theme, but those are just grossly ugly to me)

Last edited:
-snip-

Edit: And why do outfits like Apple and Microsoft take away much-desired features anyway? Because they have so much code bloat they have to take out stuff users like? I don't get why I shouldn't be able to pick colors I can see. (And yes, I can go for a high-contrast theme, but those are just grossly ugly to me)

To keep moving to a touch screen interface so desktops and mobile are more and more the same. It's very concerning to me that very powerful software just keeps getting dumbed down.

I use AppleScript a lot and for some key things. Nearly killed me when the "new" Pages (Word for Mac) came out a few years ago. Much of the scripting ability had been lost. So I then had to go to macro's - I now sit and watch my Mac running macro's for extended periods of time where a AppleScript did the same in seconds.

To keep moving to a touch screen interface so desktops and mobile are more and more the same. It's very concerning to me that very powerful software just keeps getting dumbed down.

I use AppleScript a lot and for some key things. Nearly killed me when the "new" Pages (Word for Mac) came out a few years ago. Much of the scripting ability had been lost. So I then had to go to macro's - I now sit and watch my Mac running macro's for extended periods of time where a AppleScript did the same in seconds.

I never use any of apples "office"/suite , I had to teach year 8s to use it on iPads and it drove me round the bend .Libra office is good enough for me or google drive.
You are right tho, they want people to work exclusively on their platform and they are wrecking their computers in order to boost the sales of their mobile devices. I had kids who no longer knew how to use a traditional computer, no idea of the file structure or how to name and save stuff, used to get endless "untitled document 58 " submitted via email as they didn't know how to rename their work,as on a tablet all you do is save and then when you go back to the app it's waiting there for you.
Most kids i taught in the last few years had fewer real "computing " skills than their older brothers and sisters ,they could operate social media wonderfully , but the devices had dumbed them down significantly and most of them had to spend a few weeks learning how to create files, being taught about various file formats and how to organise their work. For instance around 85% of year 8s had no idea what jpgs were or what audi format was superior, most thought mp3 was the epitome of sound quality....

I never use any of apples "office"/suite , I had to teach year 8s to use it on iPads and it drove me round the bend .Libra office is good enough for me or google drive.
-snip-

Unfortunately, I am forced to use Pages as that what my employer uses and I have to return edited and formatted Pages files back to him.

I am going to be a bit different (wot??) and say that I prefer the TRS19 tiles interface to that of TANE and earlier. I agree that it needs some work such as the ability to group the routes.

While I cannot speak for Apple hardware products, I cannot agree that Microsoft is wrecking their hardware (what hardware?) to force users onto their mobile devices. My very first smart phone was a Nokia running Windows 8 as its OS - back in the days when Microsoft had a mobile version of its OS. I loved it. The much criticised (and justifiably so) "tiles" UI when used on desktops was perfect for mobile phones. It was upgraded to Windows 10 but still with the tiles UI. I now have an Android device (still a Nokia) but I do not find the OS (Android v10) nearly as good as the Windows mobile OS was.

I was teaching Computing Studies (under various names) to high school students back in the early 1980s and the problems described by dangavel with his year 8 (grade 8) students today were the same back then. I don't agree that "dumbing down" is an accurate description of what has happened to the software. If anything the software has become more powerful and versatile and with more AI (no relation to the Trainz AI) built in compared to "back in the day".

Yes, the UI is a lot simpler now, and not just on mobile devices. But then consider that the software users today are no longer just the trained pros who spent years learning to master Photoshop and the like. The developers are simply responding to the users demands who simply want the software to perform set tasks with the minimum of user input, effort and, yes, understanding - who has the time for understanding these days?

During this period of isolation, I have set up a wifi mesh extender (without even knowing what that term means) and a wifi "dongle" on my new HD TV. Back in "the days'" you would have needed a computer science degree to do both, now any idiot (myself included) can do it. If that is "dumbing down" then I am all for it.

My thoughts.

Unfortunately, I am forced to use Pages as that what my employer uses and I have to return edited and formatted Pages files back to him.

my sympathies :), i loved the way that they introduced new versions which invalidated the old ones, I couldn't even open documents sent to me by students because i didnt have the latest version. ( it might have been vice versa, but either way , my macbook pro could not open pages docs sent from ipads. ) This was about 4 years ago, they might have improved things since. I do have an ipad but i never use anything on it apart from safari and kindle .

Back to the Routes interface... I'll be honest. I had totally quit using the "full screen" view of the thumbnails largely because at a certain point they just quit loading (displaying.)

For the first time in a long time I just used it again and it appears changes were made at some point. It is now "Content List Sizer" (when hovered over - the down carat next to "Sort By" bottom right of screen.)

You can now grab the carat and drag up and down to change thumbnail size! When did this happen? And surprise! All my thumbnails (about 130 routes) show, even all the hundreds & hundreds rolling stock thumbnails. (It's been over a year since I've used this. I normally just use the "Search" field to quickly show what I want.)

Last edited:
You don't even have to drag it. A simple click will toggle the thumbnails between their extreme positions.

As I remember it, it's always done that. What's new (at least to me) is that you have a choice between the two. Though in reality I will still just use the "search" field 95% or the time.

The fact that in 2020, in the latest version of the franchise, it is still necessary to do DBRs is ridiculous nonsense. With today's hardware and software, database corruption should not even exist. I can't think of any other "game" that needs anything like regular reindexing and "repairing" of files.

It is also ridiculous that there are two "repair" functions; a partial and a full. How does one do a full DBR? Where is that shown in any menus? Oh, you just need to press Ctl. How does anyone know that? It's posted in forums from time to time.

Back