Content Creator

lenscab

I came across a video in youtube called "How to change default traffic in Trainz" in three parts, so I watched it and thought yes I could do with a lorry or a bus, and it started off by going into content manager and pressing Ctrl n and it brought up the creator screen to edit.
So I went into my content manager and pressed ctrl n and all that happened was another content manger screen came up.
Is it not available now or am I not doing something I should,? , could someone advise me on this please?.
Len

It sounds like the tutorial related to an old version of Trainz from when the program included Content Creator. This wasn’t a 3D modelling program, but just a utility to help you configure an existing mesh to make it into a Trainz asset. You can do the same thing manually if you have the textured mesh and know how to write or just edit a config.txt file.

Len

That's a far bigger question than you probably realise. Making a config file is only the tip of the content creation iceberg.

If all you want to do is convert an existing static scenery vehicle to a road traffic version, try cloning it in Content Manager to create a new asset that has your own kuid number against it. Then open it for edit, look in the Userdata\Editing folder and find the new asset’s folder which will have the config.txt file in it. Open that file in Windows Notepad.

Make the trainz-build number 2.9 (or greater, to match what trainz version you have, but beware if it does not have LOD meshes, you will get faults if trainz-build is set at 4.0 or greater)

Add the following line of text to the config;

trackside 0.01

Amend any other tag values to reflect the properties of the new asset. These would probably be;

username
category-class VL
author
description
license

Save the config.txt file and Submit the new asset back into CM's database.

To get the vehicle to show up as traffic in your route, the route must reference a Region asset which itself lists the kuid of the road traffic vehicles. Region assets are another kettle of fish, that I don't have time to go into.

Last thing; this all describes what you could do for an asset that will only be used locally on your own computer. If you plan to distribute it, you must get the original author's permission first.

Last edited:
Not that I'm trying to do the same thing, I'm actually trying to edit files myself for my own use. So in 19 lets say I can go into CM & there is a way to edit a txt file or at least show the name and location? I've had a hard time finding txt files, and I'm actually more inclined to create my own scripts as well (or at least learn what others are doing in the scripts they create).

Thanks

Sean

Is it hard to change or edit a mesh? which is something else I am reading on here?.
I would like an explanation of what the commands in a config is in case do do something I might have an idea of what I am doing. I realise its a long learning curve but I am willing to give it a try.
Len

Is it hard to change or edit a mesh? which is something else I am reading on here?.
I would like an explanation of what the commands in a config is in case do do something I might have an idea of what I am doing. I realise its a long learning curve but I am willing to give it a try.
Len

Yes, it is hard and rightfully so. Mesh files are the central intellectual property of the person who created them, so they are not meant to be changed in any way by other people. Even the original authors will not normally change or edit their own mesh files directly, they will instead change the model file in a 3D modelling program (Max, Blender, gmax etc) and generate (export) a revised copy of the mesh from that program.

There are mesh editing utilities out there, but if you are serious about doing things with 3D meshes, you should start learning to create your own models rather than editing other peoples’ existing meshes. Since Blender is freeware and being updated, it is usually the program people recommend these days.

If you are serious about wanting to understand configs, then the Wiki links provided by Forester1 are a good place to go. If you make config mistakes, Content Manager will usually pick them up when you submit the modified asset and it will give you error messages to help you improve. If either the Wiki or the CM errors don't make sense to you, then a Forum post will often elicit some good advice. Every experienced creator remembers how confused they felt when they started, so there is a fair bit of empathy for newbies who genuinely make an effort to learn.

None of this is easy, I won’t try to sugar-coat it, but thousands of people have managed to edit or make things for Trainz, so it is far from impossible and sometimes even enjoyable.

Last edited:
I've had a hard time finding txt files, and I'm actually more inclined to create my own scripts as well (or at least learn what others are doing in the scripts they create).

It seems that you might have the wrong end of the stick for scripts. Config.txt is not a script file - it is a parameter file. Script files are .gs files, referenced as a parameter value in config.txt, that directly control features of the asset. Script files are not usually required for an asset, but can be used to add functions not available with the standard parameter set.

No I understand I should of phrased that better. My issue was opening up from Content Manager which shows all the config as well as GS files which I take is all scripts.

Thanks

Sean

Back