Hypothetical time

HotshotJimmy

So hypothetically, lets say my dad (long time Trainz fan) was now jealous of me having a working Trainz game and was going to buy T:ANE and some extras. Hypothetically would I be able to locate my downloads, pop them on a USB and send them to him? So that he can then make use of them without using the DLS? Hypothetically of course.

Whatever you want to share (if allowed), all you have to do is "save to CDP". At that point you'll see a menu asking where to save. Choose the USB you have and click on it. Now close everything and move the USB flash to the other computer. Again in CM, go to File menu and select "Import CDP files". You should see a menu asking where are those files. Select the USB flash, and see all the CDP files you saved here. Select each one at the time and click OK. The magic of CM happens and everything should be installed. You can also import routes and sessions by using this method. Note: Sometimes I found that if you select all of them, not everything imports in one shot, so better do it one by one to be sure

When you are transferring the assets to your USB, you can do it individually or in groups (multiple assets in the one CDP file). You decide the number of assets in a group - but don't get too ambitious and put in too many or include very large assets. In CM you can add a column to the display that will show the actual size of each asset in KB or MB (but the process of placing assets into a CDP file does compress them).

Select each asset or a group of assets then right mouse click on the asset (or one of them in a group) and select "Export to CDP". Identify the drive, folder and enter a filename and then click Save.

At the other end of the process, open CM, open the USB drive and the folder containing the CDP files and then "drag and drop" them into CM - either singly or in gropus of CDP files.

NOTE: The above does not work for built-in or base assets.

Last edited:
So hypothetically, lets say my dad (long time Trainz fan) was now jealous of me having a working Trainz game and was going to buy T:ANE and some extras. Hypothetically would I be able to locate my downloads, pop them on a USB and send them to him? So that he can then make use of them without using the DLS? Hypothetically of course.

With you having Trainz registered since 2016, I imagine that the above posts, explaining how to create CDP files and save/transfer them, was not really what you are looking for ..? yeah, no, don't answer that.

SO, hypothetically, it depends on WHAT assets you are talking about, and where/how you got them ... (I have 4 computers with different versions of Trainz, so I am speaking to transferring Assets between each of the 4 systems ..where those systems are located matters NOT)
1. Third Party freeware downloads can be saved to CDP, or just copy the CDP you already downloaded, and installed on a second, or third, or tenth computer.
2. Third Party Payware .. Same rules apply, though some may be password protected .ZIP files (rare) and you'll need the password for those.
3. DLS, downloaded from DLS from within your Trainz Content Manager ... can be saved to a CDP, and transferred to a computer without internet access, as mentioned in above posts.
4. DLC, downloaded "payware" bought from N3V ... CAN NOT be easily saved to CDP and transferred between computers, due to the way the Texture files are compressed, AND due to their being linked to YOUR account at purchase/initial install

If you have another scenerio that is not mentioned above, just ask, hypothetically.

With you having Trainz registered since 2016, I imagine that the above posts, explaining how to create CDP files and save/transfer them, was not really what you are looking for ..? yeah, no, don't answer that.

SO, hypothetically, it depends on WHAT assets you are talking about, and where/how you got them ... (I have 4 computers with different versions of Trainz, so I am speaking to transferring Assets between each of the 4 systems ..where those systems are located matters NOT)
1. Third Party freeware downloads can be saved to CDP, or just copy the CDP you already downloaded, and installed on a second, or third, or tenth computer.
2. Third Party Payware .. Same rules apply, though some may be password protected .ZIP files (rare) and you'll need the password for those.
3. DLS, downloaded from DLS from within your Trainz Content Manager ... can be saved to a CDP, and transferred to a computer without internet access, as mentioned in above posts.
4. DLC, downloaded "payware" bought from N3V ... CAN NOT be easily saved to CDP and transferred between computers, due to the way the Texture files are compressed, AND due to their being linked to YOUR account at purchase/initial install

If you have another scenerio that is not mentioned above, just ask, hypothetically.

Sorry for the late reply. No their replies cover what I was looking for. It saves him going through the DLS and downloading everything when I can just transfer it all over by USB. Thanks all for your input and we'll be trying it out at somepoint.

Back