Rack and pinion locos

gch

I've had some really good help in my search for Swiss Krocodiles as I have now learnt to spell them.

I am now struggling to find an attractive cog or rack and pinion loco but with my unsophisticated speling I can't find anything.

I am looking for something which zoms you up the mountainside by cog. Any ideas on where I might find something,

p.s. one of those locos built so it runs up at an angle would be a super bonus.

Many thanks

Graham from Shefford, UK

There are some but the cog can not be made to work in Trainz.

Many thanks. Not too bothered about anything working just at the moment - I'm going for the sexy image to start with.

Any clue or spelling or site would be really helpful

Cog Railways also known as Cogwheel Railways, Rack Railways,rack-and-pinion railway or ABT Rack system.
There were some very bad and illegal reskins of the Snowdon Mountain Railway locos with faces from one of the Thomas sites that were removed due to copyright infringement.

Don't think you will find anything on the DLS though, may be on a third party site somewhere.

As a sideline of this: Are there any rack track being made? I see only one at DLS but is not realistic with red rails. Actually, all is needed is the rack that can be superimposed onto the center of any track..

Cyberstorm has some 800mm rack tracks at the DLS. He has a small electric loco and passenger car of the SPB (Schynige Platte-Bahn) at the DLS.

Peter

I must have been suffering from a senior moment, I have part of the Snowdon Mountain Railway on my Ffestiniog / Welsh Highland route which cyberstorms rack track on it....... Completely forgot about it! Never completed that bit as nothing to run on it that was suitable and it was only the top part that is visible from the WHR.

This is the best but no ballast but has the rack in 3d <kuid2:78193:30002:1> 800mm rack with no ballast. Snowdon is 800mm.

Last edited:
Still not much in the way of rack stuff though, as I found when I did that Tasmanian route a couple of years ago.

In terms of physics, it would have to be a bit of a party trick in that the motive power would simply have enough horsepower and adhesion value not to get overpowered on a 20% (1 in 5) slope (or you run in DCC). But there are many rack railways crying out to be represented, not just Switzerland but places like Czechoslovakia (Tanvald) and part of the old Yugoslavian narrow gauge also relied on rack sections to get trains over the hills.

There is something out there. Metric or Standard gauge?...............

Thanks for your interest. I would personally take anything - even green with yellow stripes.

But as someone else says the problem seems to be the lack of locos rather than track

Thanks for your interest. I would personally take anything - even green with yellow stripes.

But as someone else says the problem seems to be the lack of locos rather than track

Good morning Graham.
Green with yellow stripes? I don't know ...... heh, heh:hehe:

I'm going to tell you a story; There was once a trainz website that went missing, Shanemoritz.
A French fan entered the server and recovered the assets ..... fantastic !.
I think it will interest you.

Have fun ;)

Javier

https://web.archive.org/web/20161008122713/http://shanemoritz.ch/

Pd.- The screenshot is from an unfinished route of mine.
2020-05-16-002535.jpg

Thanks for that link Javier. Downloading now, maybe see what I can put together with it.

The only issue being, if I build a route and put it on the DLS it relies on that site always being available on the Wayback Machine. I know there are sometimes politics involved but why oh why can't people just upload stuff to the DLS rather than external sites?!

Edit:

Unfortunately many of the items from that site are riddled with errors or faults which prevent them from loading, in TRS2019 at least. Most seem to be missing screenshot.jpg but there are some which also have faulty or missing dependencies. Probably not fair to burden other users with the maze of trying to untangle.

Last edited:
Vern, I hope that link can help, it really is something of the past that would have been lost without someone not having that initiative.

On the other hand, it is necessary to look at the configs because in the case of rack tracks there is permission to repaint them, and once repainted they could be published.
About the errors, as they say in my land "they cook beans everywhere", a month ago + - I bought a train in the DLS and it had a lot of errors almost impossible to repair, and it was payware !!.

Greetings, Javier

Edit: Some of the items on that page are loaded into DLS.

Last edited:
Rack and Pinion Locos

Thanks for that link Javier. Downloading now, maybe see what I can put together with it.

The only issue being, if I build a route and put it on the DLS it relies on that site always being available on the Wayback Machine. I know there are sometimes politics involved but why oh why can't people just upload stuff to the DLS rather than external sites?!

Edit:

Unfortunately many of the items from that site are riddled with errors or faults which prevent them from loading, in TRS2019 at least. Most seem to be missing screenshot.jpg but there are some which also have faulty or missing dependencies. Probably not fair to burden other users with the maze of trying to untangle.

Thank you all for your help. The track is super and will give me the look I want. The Snowdon loco I had already found and that will do to begin with. ShaneMoritz looks an absolute treasure trove - could someone help to download. I have suffered with 2 sepsis attacks and an encephalitis and what is easy for you to do and what I was able to do in the past are sadly much more problematic. Any help would be nice.
You have to be patient with me.

Many thanks. P.S. I have posted 2 or 3 times recently about retrieving stuu on the DLS.

There is soooo!!!!!! much more then when you add in the really obscure sites and search with foreign languages.

Perhaps someone from N3V could consider this bonus when reviewing tyhe download process.

Graham,

These appear to be RAR files.

Download and install WinZip.

Here's the link for WinZip

https://www.winzip.com/win/en/

It'll run fine even when it has "expired".

Open up the RAR files in WinZip and then extract them from there. They will be regular CDPs or folders containing CDPs, going by memory, that can be decompressed.

Mediafire has a wait period and adverts you need to wait for unless you subscribe. Once that has passed, you can use the download link.

Hope that helps.

There are some but the cog can not be made to work in Trainz.
Well I'd rather say it's more like - we can create an illusion that appears to mostly work now. While it isn't likely we can sync the loco's cog gear exactly to the rack teeth as it moves it is possible to change the wheelslip effects in Trainz to almost eliminate any lost motion. This goes a long way in providing the illusion that the cog is engaged and not slipping on the grade.

Still not much in the way of rack stuff though, as I found when I did that Tasmanian route a couple of years ago.

In terms of physics, it would have to be a bit of a party trick in that the motive power would simply have enough horsepower and adhesion value not to get overpowered on a 20% (1 in 5) slope (or you run in DCC). But there are many rack railways crying out to be represented, not just Switzerland but places like Czechoslovakia (Tanvald) and part of the old Yugoslavian narrow gauge also relied on rack sections to get trains over the hills.
It is not that much of a trick Vern. I did a couple of especs for Peter's little Abt rack loco. I don't know how typical they are of rack locos but they had 2 separate drive systems - one for adhesive track and the other when on the rack. 2 sets of cylinders, 2 sets of controls and 2 different rated TEs. In addition from the info I found they could and did sometimes use both drive systems when on the rack.

Getting the TE right is just a matter of testing. PLEASE NOTE: the CONTINUED LACK of support for STEAM locos on the "TEST TRACK" feature in TANE and TRS19. This is just ridiculous. What's it been 5 years or 6 since it was introduced. I can't express my displeasure and astonishment at the lack of support and improvement for steam physics by N3V. All eye candy and no substance comes to mind even if that isn't fully justified. Why can't they test STEAM locos on the in-game TEST TRACK - they designed it, they coded it and then they prohibited any testing of steam locos on it. As part of the TEG group when this was being developed N3V lead me to believe that I would be able to test steam locos on this new feature in TANE. I'm still waiting for this final missing part to be addressed.

You can get TE just about right by creating an espec for any steam loco using the actual characteristics and dimensions and then reduce most by 40% in the final espec. The resulting TEs are close to actual rated when tested in the game. It's a shame it doesn't work like this in the real world - I get the same power out of a drive system that's 60% the size of the real one - steam might still be King. I'll also point out that in Trainz the TE of steam locos going in reverse - from actual tests in the game - is roughly 60% of their forward TE's. It does beg a few questions. I've sent in my 8x10 glossies and reports with figures but I haven't seen any fixes, corrections or improvements in the game yet.

Within the current state of the game engine as noted I don't believe it is possible to sync gear and rack teeth as the loco moves. Something might be possible in scripting but that's probably more cpu intensive than the steam loco cuff systems that they stated weren't the intended use of scripting system.

As a final note, I've suppressed the wheelslip on the drive wheels on steam locos while running tests of locos on the rack to create not only the illusion of engaging the cog but mainly to reduce any problems that lost motion would inject into the tests. And this can be done easily either thru the Vehicle Physics Rule or custom scripting. I've used custom scripting that uses a kind of "manual" switching of these parameters during the tests. The script is set to use some odd whistle signals to trigger it in keeping with the steam loco era I like to model.

In any case this could be controlled in the game by triggers marking the end points of the rack and scripts responding to the triggers and determining the direction of travel. So on the rack the wheels don't or at least rarely slip and off the rack they slip normally. You could even swap out the espec (since TANE) in the Driver Module to reflect the different drive systems in use at any time (like the loco I mentioned above) but that probably would have some problems since I think boiler settings are reset when this is done. But it might be done under the right set of circumstances/restrictions.

You can check for info on the Vehicle Physics Rule - here.

Bob Pearson

PS @Javier many thanks for that link. I dl'd the track and will take a look.

Last edited:
That's all a bit technical for me, Bob! Still I will enjoy the RhB stock (which is actually non rack) I downloaded from that site while contemplating building a route to run it on.

Vern, hardly I'm sure. I just put a few numbers in my spreadsheets and out pops an espec. Then the testing starts.

I looked at the track I downloaded and it's definitely older style but it uses a 2m mesh length. It does have the correct Abt style rack with side by side rack teeth to mesh with a cog with dual set of teeth. I think the tunnel portal might be a bit more useful for my ng3 work.

The only other track with a rack I found was freeware but from a payware site and I don't even think the track is still available - Paul's Trainz IIRC. It's older quality track than the meter gauge.

What I'm looking for at the moment is just a rack spline than can be used as an attached spline on any new kind track asset.

Bob Pearson

Yes the tunnels are quite nice from that old source, as are the station buildings. I do like the RhB coaches in original (proper!) green livery and replicating the old vinyl style seats rather than refurbished with fabric upholstery.

Vern, hardly I'm sure. I just put a few numbers in my spreadsheets and out pops an espec. Then the testing starts.

I looked at the track I downloaded and it's definitely older style but it uses a 2m mesh length. It does have the correct Abt style rack with side by side rack teeth to mesh with a cog with dual set of teeth. I think the tunnel portal might be a bit more useful for my ng3 work.

The only other track with a rack I found was freeware but from a payware site and I don't even think the track is still available - Paul's Trainz IIRC. It's older quality track than the meter gauge.

What I'm looking for at the moment is just a rack spline than can be used as an attached spline on any new kind track asset.

Bob Pearson
The rack spline alone is exactly what i am also looking for. But over the years I haven't seen one. I believe it has to be created. Then here is our request for one, to any talented creator. Please? And thank you..

Back