Looking for a medium sized free layout.

LennieL

Hello.
I'm looking for a medium sized free layout that is realistic and fun to operate for TANE, mainly so that I can see what kind of layout is possible to either build or edit.
Hopefully I can get some suggestions that are currently in the download station that will give me some ideas.
Also, what are some of the best tutorials currently suggested for building a layout using Trainz? Thank you.

Hello.
I'm looking for a medium sized free layout that is realistic and fun to operate for TANE, mainly so that I can see what kind of layout is possible to either build or edit.
Hopefully I can get some suggestions that are currently in the download station that will give me some ideas.
Also, what are some of the best tutorials currently suggested for building a layout using Trainz? Thank you.

You can never go wrong with a Philskene layout (stick to TANE and above for improving scenery). They also come with sessions to enjoy.

Last edited:
Hi Len --

I see that my name has been mentioned above. One question -- a route or a layout? The difference between the two is that the latter is a Model Layout. Is that what you are seeking?

If so I have a fair number on the Download Station for T:ANE, for example:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...ge-layout-quot-The-Kab-Fourword-Railroad-quot

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...ot-The-Mann-Phrom-Laramee-quot-model-railroad

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...gauge-layout-the-Cilie-Oldpharts-Logging-RRCo

Even if you are not looking for layouts these and the others that I have on the Download Station might give you a few ideas.

Phil

Thanks Phil, I'll try those soon. For now, I have downloaded your Yuan (requested) baseboard layout and was wondering if it is a glitch that has me driving my Shay through solid rock instead of a tunnel. It's getting kind of beat up. :)
Can the tunnel be reconstructed or is it meant to be just a really difficult trip? Thanks.

Well, The Dispatcher requires that Chuck & Joe multi task. So get digging those tunnels out.

Seriously, there is a work around. The "normal" N3V tunnel entrances are restricted to the centre of the grid square and to four cardinal points of the compass -- north, south, east and west. I find this too restrictive. The alternative are tunnels where the entrances are dig holes. I just find these too difficult to position and then camouflage. And almost impossible to move or delete.

The method I use is plain track with an appropriately positioned portal structure. The additional advantage of this is that you will remain in my favourite driving view, the external cab view -- the 2-key view -- rather than jumping to a view which is part way along the locomotive.

Yuan Gulch. One of my favourites. When you finally do decide to upgrade there is a TRS19 version:

Phil

Last edited:
Thanks Phil. I'll make sure we keep the picks and shovels handy on that run. :)
Your work looks great and sets the bar high for the rest of us for sure. One last question: Is there a 30ng caboose available for T:ANE?

Back