TANE or 2019

So you're actually going to share their marketing bull as a discount?

Who gives a pooh if it's marketing "poop" or not? The reality is I paid over $110+ bucks (NZ) for my original vanilla flavored TS2019. Now, for well under a $100 NZ, (as a new customer) I could get the original TS2019, PLUS

• Brand New Features NEW WITH PLATINUM
  • 6 x "Original" TRS19 Routes
  • 3 x Platinum Routes (RRP $60) NEW WITH PLATINUM
  • 10 x Platinum Locos (RRP $150+) NEW WITH PLATINUM

• Now if that's marketing bull, I say, bring on more "bull"

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
TRS19 is vastly superior to TANE.

The above commenters seem to be talking about their 15 year old built routes not working well in a brand new sim. No duh. New features and progress sacrifice old stuff.
Fine, if you don't want to use all the older routes, and that suits you, bully for you. But it may not be the best fit for others.
I see you have so far made one route for the DLS in 2010 .Have you made ones in TANE recently that you want to port to 2019 ?

Perhaps you might consult with a few people who have made routes in 2019 and have had a lot of issues with the app screwing up sessions etc, from reading here its not any better than TANE in that regard. Bear Creek is brand new, made in 2019 , to take advantage of the features you need a 2070 or 2080t1 and even then Horace says it ground to its knees when he used certain assets.

If you are happy to junk all the high quality old routes and just rely on new items you haven't got a great deal of choice have you ? There aren't all that many high quality routes just made for 2019 are there ?

I'm also thinking about routes that are supposedly updated to 2019 standards which ship with the app, I ran one last night and it makes use of many really old vegetation splines that look awful, really, really primitive. until NV3 get a decent set of high quality vegetation that works with the new version why would I bother to move all the stuff I have ( including one brand new tane SP3 route I've worked 3 years on and a revamped 50 mile NG route that takes advantage of all the better features of TANE ) over to it, update it all ( which would take months ) when it doesn't look much ( or any ) better. We have a discussion on another thread about how trees made by long term users wont look good in 2019 . Another sacrifice one would have to make to move over.

Just bear in mind there are a lot of people who make routes that aren't contemporary,and for which there are a scarcity of assets available. if you are happy just running and making modern routes fine, then 2019 is pretty good, but if you want to run say Durango and Silverton 1895, then there are going to be issues with rolling stock and other items that need to be fixed before they will work in the new version, all this takes time when one could be doing more interesting things. .

Last edited:
I reset the lighting then adjusted it back to get this here.

attachment.php

I'd say this is probably the best feature in 2019, it is a big improvement , but does it justify moving everything to this version ?, so far, not for me.Too much stuff I have to move and probably update, if I have 20 locos that i have to fix,and a lot of rolling stock that no longer works and for which there no substitute for, then why would i move for an improvement in eye candy in some areas, but a definite backwards step in vegetation that is suitable for the type of routes I create. .

Last edited:
I'd say this is probably the best feature in 2019, it is a big improvement , but does it justify moving everything to this version ?, so far, not for me.Too much stuff I have to move and probably update, if I have 20 locos that i have to fix,and a lot of rolling stock that no longer works and for which there no substitute for, then why would i move for an improvement in eye candy in some areas, but a definite backwards step in vegetation that is suitable for the type of routes I create. .

I find that it's more than the graphics. I find the performance better with TRS2019 than it was with T:ANE and I use similar settings as I did in T:ANE. Outside of the interface, the operations are the same with better performance overall.

As far as repairing content, I had very little that needed updating going to TRS2019 than I did going from TS12 to T:ANE. The content worked mostly out of the box to coin that phrase for our virtual world. In my setup, I have well over 256K assets installed this includes built-in and DLC plus stuff installed from the DLS. All my content is error free according to 2019 and I keep it that way by verifying my content after downloading and keeping everything up to date.

I find that it's more than the graphics. I find the performance better with TRS2019 than it was with T:ANE and I use similar settings as I did in T:ANE. Outside of the interface, the operations are the same with better performance overall.

I agree. Since adding TRS19 Platinum to my Trainz stable I have not used TANE at all except to check on a query or two from a forum user. I initially had problems with missing or faulty content in TRS19 but they were resolved when I realised that I had not installed all the DLC stuff that I was entitled to.

I understand dangavel's point of view and much will depend on what assets you have and rely on. All of my old routes and sessions, some dating back to TRS2006, have moved across to TRS19 without any problems. I am now in the process of updating the "eye candy" in a 2006 route to TRS19 standards and it is looking far better than it ever did in TRS2006, and even better than it did in TANE.

I agree. Since adding TRS19 Platinum to my Trainz stable I have not used TANE at all except to check on a query or two from a forum user. I initially had problems with missing or faulty content in TRS19 but they were resolved when I realised that I had not installed all the DLC stuff that I was entitled to.

I understand dangavel's point of view and much will depend on what assets you have and rely on. All of my old routes and sessions, some dating back to TRS2006, have moved across to TRS19 without any problems. I am now in the process of updating the "eye candy" in a 2006 route to TRS19 standards and it is looking far better than it ever did in TRS2006, and even better than it did in TANE.

That is what I am doing.
At the moment I am updating a route I made in 2010. The visuals are chalk and cheese.
It uses a lot of old (v1.3) German assets and the way they look is so much improved, even better than in SP4, and that is a very good version.
The one major thing that I changed was the ground textures, newer textures are much better.
I don't use Jellytex...(PBR), I liked it at first when it first came out but then came to dislike its visuals. Most PBR textures are overscaled, stand a human figure on it and check it for yourself!

As with most software it is down to what suits you, but if I was just starting in Trainz I would take advantage of one of the free TRS19 trials.

That is what I am doing.
At the moment I am updating a route I made in 2010. The visuals are chalk and cheese.
It uses a lot of old (v1.3) German assets and the way they look is so much improved, even better than in SP4, and that is a very good version.
The one major thing that I changed was the ground textures, newer textures are much better.
I don't use Jellytex...(PBR), I liked it at first when it first came out but then came to dislike its visuals. Most PBR textures are overscaled, stand a human figure on it and check it for yourself!

As with most software it is down to what suits you, but if I was just starting in Trainz I would take advantage of one of the free TRS19 trials.

Jellytex! I love that. I refer to them as jelly donut guts. :)

All and all I too have found a lot of the older buildings work quite well in TRS2019. There are many still used on the routes shown in the images. Granted some are better than others, but many, many models are still good today if not better.

I only use T:ANE for testing and checking out problems that people ask about, and for transferring older routes into TRS2019 which has that bug that causes a blank route. I see that version as a transition to what we have today and TRS2019 what T:ANE should have been in the first place but never got there back then.

Normal mapped ground textures look fine in TRS19, better in many cases, as do many non PBR buildings.

I'm avoiding the gelatinous mess that is pbr ground textures, TurfFx does a much better job than slithering grass textures anyway. ;o)

PBR is best used on objects rolling stock and locos IMO.

Thanks everyone. I think for the time being I will stick with T:ANE SP4 and see if this time I get interested in it enough to move up to the next level.

I'll throw my hat in the ring for what it is worth. I had everything up to TRS2004 and then about 2016 I bought T:ANE. Used it for about an hour and then thought it was pants. Considering the volume of add-ons I had for 2004 it seemed crap. However, with the extra free time i've been given I got back into it, updated it, checked my olds routes worked and bought a weeks pass on the DLS to just go nuts downloading stuff I wanted. Haven't looked back. T:ANE works, its well represented in the DLS and i'm enjoying it. Will I go 2019? Probably not. Ye it looks shiny etc but I only paid about £20 for T:ANE and a fair chunk of the British payware. I can't see why i'd pay another £50-£70 to start this process all over again. You'll be fine with T:ANE. :D

It's very easy to transfer the "add-ons" from one version to another.

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Moving_Content

And in all honesty, £20 or £50 or £70 isn't much if you work out the hours you spend using it. I've probably already played a couple hundred hours of TRS:19.

I tried T19. I didn't like the floating (or buried) road and track problems. I make extensive use of Flatten Spline (shudder) and it just doesn't work right.

Wavy grass does nothing for me as my main focus is programming the AI to get my trains from point A to point Z without any cornfield meets and meeting the needs of the industries.

But the biggest problem I encountered with T19 was the CTDs. I went back to TANE and will still there for the foreseeable future.

Back