TANE or 2019

LennieL

Hello.
I bought TANE when it first came out and lately downloaded the SP4 version. Am I being left in the dust by not moving over to Trainz 2019 (what are the advantages of the latter?), and if so, how do I go about doing that with the least expense on my part? Thank you.

Last edited:
If your PC can handle it, go with TRS19. You'll get better graphics and a whole ton of new features. Plus, you'll get more support from N3V and content made to take advantage of the new features in TRS19.

Matt

https://store.trainzportal.com/products/trainz-railroad-simulator-2019-platinum-edition 79% Discount. Hard to beat.

TS2019 is IMHO, a step up from Tane SP4.

Cheers, Mac...

So you're actually going to share their marketing bull as a discount?

how do I go about doing that with the least expense on my part?

LennieL, the sim is $60 and goes on an actual sale every now and again, usually around holidays and such if you don't mind waiting.

To the OP, are you happy with what you have? If so I don't think you're being left in the dust. Installing blast shields-NOW.

If you think the perks of all the new features out weight the cost of upgrading, then go ahead. I recently upgraded from Trainz 2012 after general support for it ended, and I haven't looked back since. However the difference between TANE and 2019 is probably a lot smaller than 2012 and 2019. I took advantage of a sale and got a good portion off. Its up to you weather you want to switch or not.

Seriously, stick with Tane SP4. In TRS19 you'll loose features, and I see no gains, except all roads floating and even some track. If you are happy with road intersections twisted at 45 degrees to the vertical, then go with TRS19! I've tried it and the lack of a properly working hud to display things like speeding violations, or even the score (which doesn't work in TRS19), or to display anything else you want to is a serious loss. You can use the hud in creating a session, but sometimes it displays everything twice. Just my experience, but I haven't made a session in it yet that will do what I can do in Tane. Hopefully it may improve one day.

Seriously, stick with Tane SP4. In TRS19 you'll loose features, and I see no gains, except all roads floating and even some track. If you are happy with road intersections twisted at 45 degrees to the vertical, then go with TRS19! I've tried it and the lack of a properly working hud to display things like speeding violations, or even the score (which doesn't work in TRS19), or to display anything else you want to is a serious loss. You can use the hud in creating a session, but sometimes it displays everything twice. Just my experience, but I haven't made a session in it yet that will do what I can do in Tane. Hopefully it may improve one day.

I agree, I have 2019 but I don't use it as I just do not like the interface that much. Also a lot of routes made earlier do not look any better than they do in Tane. I thought at first this was because I had a Mac and this could no make use of the NVIDIA effects, but comparing the two on my PC I really don't see a huge difference unless you use an awful lot of the new features.

I opened Bear Creek and Jackson on my PC Acer nitro 5 with a 1660ti 6gb card , this has quite a lot of the new textures and grass in it, but on high settings i could hardly move items around, had to scale it right back to get it to function and then it looked not much better than in TANE. I will say that the environmental controls are better, but I have also found that some locos and rolling stock I was using in TANE won't work unless I repair them and I just cant be bothered with yet another round of updating and spending days trying to get everything back to where it was in TANE .
Its also going to cost you quite a lot to get the latest features if you subscribe.

TRS19 is basically T:ANE SP4 with bells and whistles but you require a top end graphic card to take advantage of many of them. So unless you are fortunate enough a GTX1080/2070 or better then there is not a great deal to be gained other than some additional assets.

Should you decide to move to TRS19 the most cost effective option is likely one of the reduced content editions of TRS19 such as North American or United Kingdom, all the bells and whistles but fewer routes/content. However $39.99 is a lot of money if you don't have it so wait for a sale, you have waited this long and I'm sure you will not be left behind. Peter

Last edited:
TRS19 is vastly superior to TANE.

The above commenters seem to be talking about their 15 year old built routes not working well in a brand new sim. No duh. New features and progress sacrifice old stuff.

OK I recently got 19 North America for 15 dollars. Can't speak about TANE but everything I want in it so far works fine. But it was their marketing bull that actually got someone who hasn't used it in a decade to give it a shot again. The difference between then and now is far superior despite running at low graphics. I don't even get all the perks I've seen but that is fine. More incentive to get a better graphics card. I don't play for the eye candy anyways.

Thanks

Sean

I think I will need more popcorn, this thread could get lengthy and heated.
All that I will say is that since getting the TRS19 Plus free trial I haven't used SP4.
I am a route builder and not a driver, so I base my opinion on that.
My Plus free trial ends on May 17, will I continue? yes, as long as the FCT is included in the deal.

Last edited:
TRS19 works here on normal settings with an Ancient Phenom II 1090T x6 and a GTX1060 which is being bottlenecked by the CPU, and running on an old spinner hdd however it is usable, pretty smooth frame rates in the 20s in cluttered areas unless in cab mode in which case 30 to 40fps at 1920 x 1080 resolution. Obviously not my normal PC, just one I use to see if my routes run on old hardware and it takes a longish time to actually load a route due to the ancient 5400rpm Sata 2 drive.

Enjoying TRS 2019. Once I figured out and tweaked the various graphics settings, I'm very much happy with it.

Alan

I'll throw my hat in the ring for what it is worth. I had everything up to TRS2004 and then about 2016 I bought T:ANE. Used it for about an hour and then thought it was pants. Considering the volume of add-ons I had for 2004 it seemed crap. However, with the extra free time i've been given I got back into it, updated it, checked my olds routes worked and bought a weeks pass on the DLS to just go nuts downloading stuff I wanted. Haven't looked back. T:ANE works, its well represented in the DLS and i'm enjoying it. Will I go 2019? Probably not. Ye it looks shiny etc but I only paid about £20 for T:ANE and a fair chunk of the British payware. I can't see why i'd pay another £50-£70 to start this process all over again. You'll be fine with T:ANE. :D

You know to be honest I wouldn't be eager to go to the next version either since 2019 works for me. I haven't even got to the cool looking grass yet haha.

Backwards compatibility is tough to do believe me. Though I'm a developer and know the systems life cycle, I don't have immediate experience to comment. But when you try to add new features unfortunately some take a back seat or are removed and combined etc. It's a please some tick off others. But I think the community and how we find solutions is very strong here. Sure I see the odd heated exchange, but it seems rather civil even when we all don't agree. Everyone has their own experience. I used to be just a run and operate guy, until I started building my dream the past few weeks. That was thanks to the small purchase I made to get in on 2019. It really has changed the hobby for me. That's despite knowing I gave up on Run8 which is in my opinion the best "Train" simulator. This just has more flexibility and creativity that I can apply to it which makes it ideal for me now.

Thanks

Sean

I think Pensfan (post # 14) hit it on the head for me. Either version really needs the graphics settings optimized. I thought screenshots posted from 2019 looked worlds beyond T:ANE, which I had at the time, except there were a couple of folks posting in the screenshots forum with T:ANE that really looked realistic! I have yet to see that kind of graphics in either version, even with everything set to ultra or max. I have followed settings posted by a few folks on these forums, but still never come up with what look to me like realistic graphics. So far, 2019 looks pretty much like T:ANE, which looks pretty much like screenshots I have seen of most versions. IT must be some arcane secret that only gets passed along to those in the kabal....

I reset the lighting then adjusted it back to get this here.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2019-02-09 012537.jpg
    2019-02-09 012537.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 2019-01-26 184056.jpg
    2019-01-26 184056.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 133
  • 2018-08-27 220044.jpg
    2018-08-27 220044.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 132
Ummmm...Thanks, but how does one "reset" the environment or lighting, and once you do, adjust it back to what?

Back