Trying to make locos emit no sound

If you don't want any sound at all, remove the engine sound and horn sound lines from the config.txt, and the referenced kuids in the kuid-table.

But then you can't hear that sweet clickety clack sound!

Is that the same "clickety clack" sound that plays on welded tracks and generates many complaints in these forums? My solution has the benefit of also fixing the "honking cars" issue at level crossing, also a source of complaining threads. So it is a "win-win" all round:clap:

Kinda wish someone would make a true "model railroad" soundset. There's nothing like the growl of several can motors mixed with the sound of metal wheel sets gliding along tiny rails. Probably drive the purist mad, but it's music to my ears.

i forgot to mention i was trying to make static locos with the engine off, sorry for any confusion caused everyone

If you goto Freeware Announcements and in that thread look for "Steam locos from 1856 till 1915" (still on 1st page), you will
find all steam locos may be set to static => no sound, no smoke, no driver and towable.
This is done via a script, that is "rather general", so the script may be moved to other steam or diesel engines.

You will be toggling between running and static mode via a keyboard cmd or window handling in Surveyor or Driver mode.

If you goto Freeware Announcements and in that thread look for "Steam locos from 1856 till 1915" (still on 1st page), you will
find all steam locos may be set to static => no sound, no smoke, no driver and towable.
This is done via a script, that is "rather general", so the script may be moved to other steam or diesel engines.

You will be toggling between running and static mode via a keyboard cmd or window handling in Surveyor or Driver mode.

That's very useful. Thanks for mentioning this because it's annoying having all the diesels grinding away in yards when they sit their idle. This was common in real life in the past, but for modern routes where fuel conservation is important these days, locos are turned off.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks again!

Back