Static Popping sounds

Sometimes whenever I play there's this really annoying popping sound that comes from every piece of rolling stock I use. It does this on every route I have, even a test route I've made for testing things. Any ideas on what the issue is?

Thanks

Maybe your speakers. Try playing with sounds in settings. Unplug all your speaker connections and replug them in.

You say every asset. Is it built-in assets too, or are they only from a particular content creator?

This is difference helps narrow down whether it's hardware or a problem with the asset sound file.

Yes it seems to be both custom and built in assets. Also I've tried messing with my speakers and headphones, no dice on either of them.

What kind of system do you have?

What sound card or chip?

This could mean a driver update is needed for your sound card or chip on your system.

I use windows 10, nividia graphics (don't know if this helps), and realtek audio.

Check your motherboard manufacturer for updated drivers for Windows 10.

Just for kicks, what exactly is the asset that's give you trouble, or did so in the first place? I want to check something with it.

Like I've said before it's a good bunch of assets and the popping sometimes happens when I launch the game. I've noticed it a lot with Lilb's 40ft boxcar's and PFE reefers.

Edit: Small update, I've noticed it whenever I place down a consist that I have created or very long trains. It seems to be the ambient freight noises (I honestly don't know what to call it) that play over the clicking clacking sounds that are getting corrupted.

Last edited:
I myself have heard popping, but it's been from day 1. There's a route (can't recall the name) that has lots of cows, as each Mooo starts POP!

I don't care for the route so I didn't chase it down, but I also had it on a BNSF signal back when I switched to TANE - in that case the sound file had a large DC offset in the file. All I had to do was remove it (using Audacity) and it was fine again.

I don't know if the game, or the DLS, or something else corrupted it, or if it was always that way and for some reason it didn't make a pop in TS12, but AFAIK it was the exact same asset and in TS12 it was ok, and in T:ANE pop-pop-pop on each bell ring.

So, it's possible it's a similar issue.

I've also noticed in TRS19 that sounds cut off, and in cab they "surge" like channels are cutting out and overlapping.

I've felt for many versions that audio is a sorely neglected aspect of this game.

Sorry, I know none of this really helps you with your problem...

I have found it very common for sound files to have DC offset. That means the file doesn't start and end at zero. That always causes a popping sound every time the sound loops. As frogpipe says, this can be corrected with the freeware Audacity program.

So I've tried normalizing the audio files from JR's generic 4 axle wheelsounds (another post here said to do that) and that did not do anything, also tried disabling that and that also did nothing. At this point I'm so lost, I've tried everything and nothing is working.

Use the draconian test method: Get your old computer or laptop (hope you still have it). Install the game. Listen to the sound on a built in route. This is just for test, not performance. If the noises are still there, your game program is corrupted. It not, something on your sound system of the good computer is no good. We know is a hassle, but great problems demand great solutions.

So I've tried normalizing the audio files from JR's generic 4 axle wheelsounds (another post here said to do that) and that did not do anything, also tried disabling that and that also did nothing. At this point I'm so lost, I've tried everything and nothing is working.

Using Audacity, you have to remove the DC offset to zero. The problem is the sound starts at 1 or some number above the zero point. When the sound plays, it has to go from zero to 1, thus, there's a click. By changing the offset to 0 from the higher value, you now have a loop that starts at zero, and now there is no longer a clicking sound.

Going back to your original problem, I thought this was the problem originally, but you mentioned all trains which sent me down the other path to hardware, which was a sidetrack.

Hey guys, just giving an update to all of this. Apparently the issue has been resolved but not in the way I thought it would be. So after extensive testing and messing around with audio files, I've come to the conclusion that having locomotives on a consist that has spawned in is the culprit. Hopefully I can fix the issue entirely but this will have to do for now. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Oh, I have a similar issue almost every time I try to run the Trainzforge Big Boy. Most of my other assets would get away on any train without making a single pop, but a big boy will make all the popping noises it can make without the intervention of JR tracksound added into the cars. Even then, it'll override the JR tracksound the second any minor camera movement is pulled off wrong, and then boom, the tracksound shuts off and then there's popping all over the place. I'll try seeing if reducing my speakers down to 16 bit 48000Hz fixes it.

So the trainzforge big boy and challenger locomotives used to give me that problem. It turned out for me that there was a wayward sound script tag on the bogey sets for these locomotives. Once I removed the tag from the config files, the popping went away.

<kuid:353984:100159> FEF truck1
<kuid:353984:100160> FEF Tenderbog1
<kuid:581273:101257> Big Boy Tenderbog1
<kuid:581273:101258> Big Boy truck1
I removed the track-sound from the config file and it cleared right up for me.

Good news, I seems to have worked. I've done a few tests on a few maps. Not a single pop was heard and I instead could hear that lovely JR tracksound, even when I hooked it up to 130 tume coal hoppers!

I'll give my self a few more days of testing to confirm it worked, but so far, it appears to be.
Thanks bud!

Sound issues!

I can relate to your asset popping sounds, There are the builtin Carz & their horns pop badly when they honk.
I had repaired the horns for N3V and they never got them replaced except once. then after a few more updates for the Trainz + that were done, the Car horn popping sounds came back with the updates and patches.

The issue with the all of the sounds that are infected with the popping noises is due to the Audio file is not looped correctly or has that DC offset issue in the start of the wave file, Audacity Audio software is the answer to these issues for repairing them, at least for the DLS assets that can be repaired.
Built in sound issues can be repaired also, but they will come back after an update is done, due to N3V forgot to replace them with the fixed ones. I will ask N3V to check on them again for us.
They are a small Team and are doing the best that they can with the updates that they have done.
I know that it just gets overwhelming for them at times.:confused:
Cheers.
jjeff1955:)

Back