Missing dependencies on "The Outside World 2018" and "Midshire Mainline v3" Routes

Basharat

Varying Route Builder
Missing dependencies on "The Outside World 2018" and "Midshire Mainline v3" Routes

Hello all,

I have a HUGE list of unknown assets on the two routes mentioned in the title.

For "The Outside World", I know that most of it's missing dependencies could be found on the BDC Projects website. Most of these assets are made by users acelajalde and austin316hockey.

For "Midshire Mainline", most missing dependencies are made by trunda and bsillett.

Any help would be gladly appreciated,

basharat

"Midshire Mainline V3" is on the DLS but "The Outside World (2018)" is not. There are two routes named "The Outside World (2016)" and "The Outside World (2019)" but no "The Outside World (2018)".

I have downloaded and installed "Midshire Mainline v3". There are 100 "unknown assets". Interestingly, the creators description says "Replaced unavailable content" and "Replaced missing point motors". The most obvious missing assets are the tracks which TANE is showing as a dashed white line (a sure sign that the tracks are missing).

My policy at this point is to delete the route (but keep the other downloaded assets) and move on. I simply do not have time and energy to go hunting for 100 unknown assets that are not on the DLS. There are also two other assets that are faulty. This is the problem with many DLS routes and the price that we pay for having such an open contribution system - we get the good with the bad.

Here is a summary of the points raised in another thread on what to look for before you download a route. Some of these points can only be discovered after downloading.

Thumbnail:

• is a thumbnail present? One of those "This is NOT a thumbnail" thumbnails does not count as a "thumbnail".
  • is the thumbnail is a screenshot that does not show the grid lines?
  • does the thumbnail contain a text label (this shows that the creator cares enough to at least add a title)?

Route Description:

• is there a full description of the route?
  • does the description give some indication of the contents such as "all assets are on the DLS", "speed trees are/are not used", etc
  • If 3rd party assets are present, does the description tell you where to find them?

Other Information/Support:

• Does the creator care enough to post an announcement message in the Freeware forum?
  • Are screenshots available, e.g. in the Trainz Gallery, screenshots forum or in the Freeware Forum?
  • Does the creator respond to questions about his/her route?

There is no point score for any of these checklist items and no minimum number to "achieve" before you can decide what is worthwhile downloading and what is not.

I will pm you the missing KUIDs I have, thanks for your help!

@pware I can help you. I have Midshire V3 with all dependencies installed. Just PM me the missing KUIDs cheers.

Thank you both for your offers but I will decline. A major part of my objection to the "missing asset" problem is that sourcing those assets from 3rd party sites (if they can be found) can exacerbate the problem.

In my earlier days I did resort to using 3rd party sites for required assets that were not present on the DLS. The result was I had a mixture of built-in, DLS and non-DLS assets on my system and some of those 3rd party assets inevitably and unknowingly crept into the routes and sessions that I uploaded to the DLS, thus passing the problem onto anyone that downloaded those routes/sessions.

From TANE onward CM will give creators a warning in the form of a new status category "3rd party asset" (or something similar) whenever 3rd party assets are in the dependencies of any created route/session. If I found any such assets in one of my TANE routes/sessions I immediately replaced them with DLS or built-in equivalents before uploading. To simplify the process, I have now deleted all 3rd party assets from my system.

This is not a reflection on the quality of 3rd party assets, some of them are of a very high quality, but the problems they create in routes and session through the "unknown asset" issue is, IMHO, not worth the effort particularly when route creators neglect to warn others of their presence. This can give the "product" a bad name for newbies and has created endless "Missing kuids" threads (such as this one) in these forums, many of which are never resolved as 3rd party sites change, drop off the net, delete their content, etc.

My opinions only but I do accept that others will have different opinions and policies.

Last edited:
Need a lil help with The Outside World subway route dependencies

Missing a lot of dependencies that are not on the DLS for that route wondering if I can get some help like y’all did for the other guy

Back