TRC Trigger Causes Crash to Desktop

epa

Angry Trainz Nerd
TRS19 106618

Today I noticed that searching for "TRC 3 Trigger for Closure of Rail Crossing" (KUID2:458053:100686:16) in surveyor immediately causes a crash to desktop, and loading a route that uses the TRC Trigger also results in a crash. This causes routes I've created and routes I've purchased - spent real money on - to be unusable.

I have run two database repairs, and the issues persist. The TRC Trigger is not faulty or missing any dependencies, and from what I can tell, there are no issues that would hinder its appearance in-game. I have also tried deleting the offending asset and redownloading it to no avail.

My game configuration has not changed recently, nor have I modified or updated the trigger asset. I can confirm that it worked fine roughly a week ago under the same Trainz build.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what would be causing this issue?

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:
I checked the offending asset for errors and warnings, and while it didn't turn up any errors, I did get this nice long list of stuff...

oZtVXpL.jpg

Would these be causing the issue?

Matt

Is it still possible in TRS2019 to delete the user's script library, like in TS12 and older, when dealing with the "unable to link compiled script class" errors? (may not be the exactly correct wording)

Hi Matt, :14 is obsolete now, the current version in the Content Manager is :16. I'm using it with no problems.
regards,
John H

Hi Matt, :14 is obsolete now, the current version in the Content Manager is :16. I'm using it with no problems.
regards,
John H

Yep, I have 16, I made a typo or I was looking at the wrong version or something typing out the original message. Regardless, Version 16 is what's giving me the problem. I've deleted and tried an older version and that didn't work either.

What boggles the mind is that literally nothing has changed in my Trainz installation or content since the last time this asset worked. No updates, changed settings, anything.

Matt

Last edited:
Also have version 16 using with build 106618 with no issues. Maybe there is something else causing the CTD.

It only happens when I search for that specific asset in surveyor, click it in the list, or load a route that uses it. The game can run for hours but the second that asset is loaded, CTD. That's definitely what's causing the problem. I just can't imagine why. I'm going to check the dependencies, as soon as the 10th DBR of the day finishes up.

I've tested it on populated routes, and blank boards. Same result. Like I said, this is a new thing. Not even a week ago, everything was working fine. Same asset version, same Trainz version.

Matt

Last edited:
So I went in an checked the dependencies of the trigger, and as expected, nothing turned up in CM that would cause any concern. And still, loading the trigger causes an immediate CTD.

Matt

Matt,

A corrupted script will do this and not necessarily the asset its self.

Try this and see if it works:

Using File Explorer, open up the Cache\Libraries folder located where you have your content stored. Mine happens to be in E:\TRS19_DATA\cache\libraries.

Delete the contents of this folder, and then restart and see if it helps. The scripts are cached to help speed up their loading and if something is conflicting or corrupted, this can cause crashing.

I'm not saying this will fix this, but it has for me in the past. If this doesn't do it, then I recommend running and EDR and checking around your setup for something else. I found the Quick Portal update gave me problems because I had the older version installed under the different KUID and the two were coexisting in my TRS19 and conflicting. Once I figured that out, and removed the old version, everything was back to normal.

Matt,

A corrupted script will do this and not necessarily the asset its self.

Try this and see if it works:

Using File Explorer, open up the Cache\Libraries folder located where you have your content stored. Mine happens to be in E:\TRS19_DATA\cache\libraries.

Delete the contents of this folder, and then restart and see if it helps. The scripts are cached to help speed up their loading and if something is conflicting or corrupted, this can cause crashing.

I'm not saying this will fix this, but it has for me in the past. If this doesn't do it, then I recommend running and EDR and checking around your setup for something else. I found the Quick Portal update gave me problems because I had the older version installed under the different KUID and the two were coexisting in my TRS19 and conflicting. Once I figured that out, and removed the old version, everything was back to normal.

I deleted the cache, restarted, and it still tripped a CTD, it just took a little longer this time. I'll check and see if any old versions are causing issues.

EDIT: Ran EDR and deleted older versions, still crashing.

Matt

Last edited:
I am still unable to search for, use, or load a route that uses the TRC trigger without the game crashing to the desktop. This is making it impossible to continue work on many of my projects, or run on my own routes or those I have downloaded. Even an older version of the asset that's apparently built-in to the game causes an immediate crash.

I have tried everything suggested so far in this thread (thanks anyway to those who have suggested things), and every troubleshooting method I can think of, short of uninstalling the game, and the problem persists.

Below are my Trainz settings, which have not changed at all since originally setting up the game and have never caused me any issues, and as always, my PC specs are in my signature below, if all this helps at all.

ndbYWJZ.png

Is there anything else I can provide to help find the problem?

Matt

Last edited:
Uncheck PhysX for better performance.

Enable the Advanced debugging tools so you get the Show logs.

These won't help the problem but this might.

Get the asset version of the TRC components.

Delete them. Yes. You'll have missing dependencies, but don't worry.

Go back to the previous version that worked. To do this, you need to right-click on the components and choose download this version.

Once done, close Content Manager and the launcher.

Empty the cache/libraries folder.

Restart again and see if that fixes the problem.

Uncheck PhysX for better performance.

Enable the Advanced debugging tools so you get the Show logs.

These won't help the problem but this might.

Get the asset version of the TRC components.

Delete them. Yes. You'll have missing dependencies, but don't worry.

Go back to the previous version that worked. To do this, you need to right-click on the components and choose download this version.

Once done, close Content Manager and the launcher.

Empty the cache/libraries folder.

Restart again and see if that fixes the problem.

Hi John --

So I turned off PhysX (I'm not really sure what it did anyway) and turned on advanced debugging.

The installed TRC trigger was version 16. I deleted that and downloaded version 15. The one listed as "built-in" is version 14. I then cleared the cache/libraries folder again.

I then restarted my PC (I'm sure you meant the game, but why not).

I started the game with the log window open on my second monitor. I got to the route selection screen and this appeared on the log window and caught my eye:

4exc1ht.jpg

I continued on, opened up a blank route, searched for the asset, and I couldn't believe what I saw...

It's working!

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Thanks a ton!

Matt

Last edited:
Awesome! :D

There's something wrong with version 16 and Vincent needs to address that.

PhysX is supposed to allow for smoke and rain not going through tunnels and bridges, but it causes an awful performance hit for 99% of us users. It's so bad that even N3V recommends turning it off for now.

You're welcome. I'm glad this worked. I was sweating this myself.

So sorry to bump a five month old thread. Please forgive me. But I have a workaround that may help some people suffering from this issue.

Version 16 of the trigger seems to have issues. However I found a trick that works for me in Build 106618.

By deleting Version 16 of the trigger and reverting back to Version 15, launching the game, creating a new route in surveyor with a piece of track and the Version 15 trigger, exiting the route - then redownloading Version 16 of the trigger I can temporarily halt the crashing issue and I am able to use Version 16 of the trigger normally, however the crashes can randomly start again so be forewarned. It seems to happen with unrelated CTDs that trigger (yes I made that pun) the crashing issue with the asset, whereupon you just delete and redownload the asset again.

Its not a great method but it seems to work for the time being until the author can figure out why the trigger is crashing the game

Back