Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fed up... with download speed

All great points, especially that last one by Meatloaf747 .. Electric isn't free.

That said, It does seem to me, that back before TANE was released, and the DLS reconfigured with the "white pages", the non-FCT connection was more reliable. Not faster, at all, in fact maybe slower, but it was reliable, in that, if you put something in your CM DL list, and hit Start, it would in fact download what you wanted, up to the 100Mb limit, and in some cases, over 100Mb if the last asset was a large one (I've hit 120Mb while downloading a few 30-50Mb assets).

Since the reconfiguration of the DLS, and especially with TANE, I usually have at least HALF of my selected asset throw an error code saying "connection interrupted" and have to go back and hit "download" a second time (without closing any windows) to get those assets installed. Sometimes, even this proves futile, and I must completely re-download.
    --The new DLS is a LOT less reliable on the non-FCT side.
    USER ERROR. Please uninstall Trainz and resume thinking it wasn't your fault. Thank you.

In regard to that last problem, when on a slow download, I very rarely download more than one item at a time. It queues them admittedly, but I find it better to leave it at just one item unless they are tiny and will download quickly anyway.

KingConrail76, I used to get that a lot in T:ANE, but generally when I hit "Download" again it would just install because it was already downloaded, something just didn't complete. I've found 2019 worse in some ways, because instead of "connection interrupted" I will get a vague error about being unable to parse the folder in the build folder, and then it won't download again until I get out and come back in, and it will start the long download all over from scratch. Fortunately, it doesn't appear to happen near as much as it did in T:ANE.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    KingConrail76, I used to get that a lot in T:ANE, but generally when I hit "Download" again it would just install because it was already downloaded, something just didn't complete. I've found 2019 worse in some ways, because instead of "connection interrupted" I will get a vague error about being unable to parse the folder in the build folder, and then it won't download again until I get out and come back in, and it will start the long download all over from scratch. Fortunately, it doesn't appear to happen near as much as it did in T:ANE.
    RE: Platinum/Plus (106618) downloads/installs.
    Even though you received an error msg upon install the install (most of time) was successful. Go check the item for a good install before you install again.
    Last edited by 1611mac; May 11th, 2020 at 07:45 AM.
    Greg
    TRS19-Gold Plus-110491, Plus Beta-111951
    WIN10 GTX 1060-6 Windforce
    - also OSX installs: iMac, MBP

5kbps need long duration of running a PC to download, in the end your electricity bill will shoot up more than a FCT 😂

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville

Default Power Usage

A couple of things. I have had FCTs for years. Early on it was faster than the cable company. Then they kept increasing the rates at no cost, which is befuddling. I now get the claimed 70megabits Mb per second on a speed test. N3V seems to run at 37Mbs. As mentioned the number of black boxes that the signal transits is an issue. Do a Trace function to see all the hops. Also, I use a direct connection to the router from the PC no wi-fi.

I never turn off the PC. Yes it consumes electricity but I have it timed to go to sleep at around 11pm. Power on, but consuming less.
    I do not turn off the PC because of "thermal cycling". Heat rising and falling changes the shape of all the components and the motherboard. Most are super tiny. However the CPU has the tiniest, and smallest (fragile), connections as well as the hottest element. Taking from my max of 98c down to room temperature and back to 98c in the morning, to me, is risky. I have close to 5 years on this CPU and MANY times I have run it at its temperature throttle level of 98c for hours. It was by mistake but did so for around 5 days. The CPU is also overclocked from 3.4ghz up to 4ghz so I should be more careful.

In the Dark Ages of computing I fixed Univac-I and Univac-494 computers (very big). NEVER turned them off except for the Univac-I where you had to step into the computer to make a test or change. These were vacuum tubes that were lighted all the time. There was 850 volts on those vacuum tubes from a supply that could provide 100s of amps. Nuts to thermal issues if you had to go inside the cabinet. That combo of volts and amps was much more effective than an electric chair.

Windows10 settings has the power profiles you can set.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.2ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 3gb video card. 111951