Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fed up... with download speed

United States of America, Pennsylvania, New Holland

Default Fed up... with download speed

I have been using Trainz 2019 now for 3-4 months and am SICK of the poor download speed whan I want to install new content!

Quote Originally Posted by pequeajim View Post
    I have been using Trainz 2019 now for 3-4 months and am SICK of the poor download speed whan I want to install new content!
    Are you inferring by your statement that you don't want to pay for a First Class Ticket?
    Greg
    TRS19-Gold Plus-110491, Plus Beta-111951
    WIN10 GTX 1060-6 Windforce
    - also OSX installs: iMac, MBP

Blog Entries

N3V throttles your download speed quite a bit unless you buy a First Class Ticket. $20-something a year, if memory serves, or included if you have a Trainz membership.

Matt
    Intel Core i7-7700K 4.20GHz
    PNY GTX 1070 GPU, 8GB GDDR5
    16 GB 3000Mhz DDR4 RAM
    1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD + 4TB HDD

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Yeah it's $20 or with discounts on occasion as well.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

Either buy a FCT or learn to live with it.

The first year or so that I had Trainz I did it without FCT. Put the things I wanted in my download list and started it when I went to bed. 100MB done the next morning. Did the whole UMR that way, which took 15 days back then (if you did it smart).

Patience is key... or money for a FCT.

I used to say “if you don’t have patience, what are you doing with a train simulator to begin with?”.
    Now I have enough money to afford a FCT (and no time to play the game).

Well I wonder when he got Tane, surely not at the same time. All versions have the same, slow, download speed unless you buy a FCT which I do on rare occasions if I have something big like a route to download, or a serious lot of items. Cheap enough as it is.

Default First class ticket

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    Are you inferring by your statement that you don't want to pay for a First Class Ticket?
    Yep, I don't think it's worth it. I feel like the company sold me the software and now has got me by the juntas when I want to use the DLS. Part of the draw in the first place is the DLS until you actually use it!

Quote Originally Posted by oknotsen View Post
    Either buy a FCT or learn to live with it.

The first year or so that I had Trainz I did it without FCT. Put the things I wanted in my download list and started it when I went to bed. 100MB done the next morning. Did the whole UMR that way, which took 15 days back then (if you did it smart).

Patience is key... or money for a FCT.

I used to say “if you don’t have patience, what are you doing with a train simulator to begin with?”.
    Now I have enough money to afford a FCT (and no time to play the game).
    I would agree. I wanted to get the Horseshoe Curve and started the DL for it. I could not believe how slow it was! I thought this is robbery, then I thought about the first class ticket and read a few posts from some TrainZ users that were reporting 10KB/Sec download speed. Not worth it at all.

Next time I'll follow your advice and set everything up and start the DL before I go to bed.
    Last edited by pequeajim; May 10th, 2020 at 04:54 PM.

United States of America, California, Burbank
    Blog Entries

To be clear, I'm not a fan either. That said, all this stuff costs money. Bandwidth, storage, servers, all cost do re mi, you dnt get beat up by ads on the DLS or Forums (cept for N3V own stuff which is a given) so how do they keep the lights on?

FCT, and DLC paid content. Even at full retail they arent raking in the dough on folks buying the game when you factor in all the man hours to create it. This is a niche market.

So, you either pony up for a FCT, live with it, or just use 3rd party sites.

It'd be nice if it weren't so, but $$$ is a part of the equation no matter what.

If you want faster download speed your going to need to buy a first class ticket. I could live with slow download speeds, its the fact that for larger downloads almost invariably it come up with an error after waiting for an hour for a download complete. I don't know in if its intentional or not but its the main reason I bought my FCT.
    Home of the Golden Pacific And Sequoia Scenic Railroads!

Default Agree...

Quote Originally Posted by frogpipe View Post
    To be clear, I'm not a fan either. That said, all this stuff costs money. Bandwidth, storage, servers, all cost do re mi, you dnt get beat up by ads on the DLS or Forums (cept for N3V own stuff which is a given) so how do they keep the lights on?

FCT, and DLC paid content. Even at full retail they arent raking in the dough on folks buying the game when you factor in all the man hours to create it. This is a niche market.

So, you either pony up for a FCT, live with it, or just use 3rd party sites.

It'd be nice if it weren't so, but $$$ is a part of the equation no matter what.

Ok, I understand and agree. I had my rant. I feel better now.

Thanks guys

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alikiwi View Post
    Well I wonder when he got Tane, surely not at the same time.
    That said, all Trainz Store (e.g. software such as TRS19, Platinum, etc) and DLC downloads are always at the maximum possible speed that the N3V servers and their bandwidth will allow. Any further speed reductions you experience will be the result of local restrictions imposed by your ISP such as bandwidth and download limits.
    TRS19 Platinum Edition build 111951

I would agree. I wanted to get the Horseshoe Curve and started the DL for it. I could not believe how slow it was! I thought this is robbery, then I thought about the first class ticket and read a few posts from some TrainZ users that were reporting 10KB/Sec download speed. Not worth it at all.

Next time I'll follow your advice and set everything up and start the DL before I go to bed.

Hmm I get around 3000KB/s most of the time which is just below the maximum speed the DLS server uploads at, ignore the speeds shown in Manage Content they are often a lot lower than actual speeds, if you check with appropriate download speed monitoring software or router if it has that option.

The FCT goes towards paying for the servers which apparently are not cheap, I suspect without those of us paying there might be no free option!

A 30 day ticket is currently $5.99, 7 days $4.99 or sign up for the newsletter and wait for a special offer, they do happen.
    Malc

United States of America, California, Burbank
    Blog Entries

read a few posts from some TrainZ users that were reporting 10KB/Sec download speed
    That's a NO FCT number, with the FCT you'll get the mb/Sec numbers you are used to on other sites.

Wink False economy...

False economy... A first class ticket costs $34.69 US per year. That equates to .67c US a day. (Cheaper if you buy it when a FCT is on sale). If you have to leave your computer running all night to download what content you want (because you don't have a FCT) then think of all the extra power your computer is consuming during this time. (Not very green for the planet)!!!

The other thing to consider is; several components in a computer have a "life expectancy" (Some reasonably long, some reasonably short). The longer you leave your PC "on", the shorter the time before one of those components may fail. (You might have saved $34.69 US a year on a FCT, but over that same year, you've probably spent an extra $50 US to $100 US extra on power).

Then there's the power supply, or motherboard, or HDD, or ram module you might need to replace in 3 years, rather that 5 - 7 years!!!

I doubt very much that N3V are making much money off their FCT Server Service, if any. .67 cents a day, for reasonable download speeds & unlimited Download Station downloads, seems pretty cheap to me. Happy Trainzing.

Cheers, Mac...
    Last edited by meatloaf747; May 11th, 2020 at 05:50 PM.