Joy sticks

Being that a joystick might be prototypicaly useful with an airplane, helicopter, or tank, and not so handy as a steering wheel and pedals in a race car, or truck, why would a joystick be prototypicaly useful when driving a locomotive ? When a mouse and keyboard works just ducky.

Even if I had a Raildriver console, I probably would never use it, as I like operating the old vertical locomotive control stands

...and that is fine FOR YOU...

The OP has an interest that you do not have, so why post a comment, just to say you don't have an interest? (That is a Rhetorical question)

For Derekwad: You will need to "assign" commands to the joystick, as I do not think the key-mapping directly translates to a joystick the way it does to a "game-pad" (win10 native support for xbox).
-I can fully see where, if you already have a joystick, you could map the Throttle/Brakes to the fore and aft motion, and the Reverser to the side to side motion, then the horn, bell, and decoupling to the various buttons.

As for the RailDriver console .. I have mixed feelings. It is robust, in that the case is made of sheet metal, but from reading the website of the parent company, it seems they use cheap components, and the unit as a whole is not as large as it looks in photos. You'll note, there are very few pictures of anyone's hands actually articulating the controls, which would give a fair size comparison ..sketchy in-itself.. then there is the price-tag and reviews.

Enjoy your Trainz your way,
KC76

I would personally get a control stand from a scrapped EMD and jerry rig a way to drive a train in Trainz with it.

Gentlemen, thank you for responses. I had Trainz on an iPad some years ago and have just purchased Trainz 2019 Platinum. I like the idea of physically moving some controls as opposed to just pressing buttons all the time. I‘m new to this, so hopefully will figure it out as I go along. Best!

Back