Route I am considering building in TRS19

john2002

I've been considering building a large "Situation Testing Route" for testing trains in situations like dynamic braking/air braking, helpers, uphill climbs, coasting, stopping for red signals, crew changes, switching, helper braking downhill, passing loops, switching over to other track, stopping at stations/industries, etc. and the route has all kinds of industries, curves, junctions, yards, railroad crossings, grades, bridges, tunnels, sidings, passing loops, horseshoe curves, flyovers, diamonds, etc.

What does anyone think?

I build my routes using TRS2006, and import them for testing them out in TS12, T:ANE, and TS19

I choose to use TRS2006, as it's surveyor is so easy, that even a Chimp could lay tracks in surveyor. NO layers, NO Bugz, NO broken assets, NO confusion, NO complexity.

If you want to create routes starting off in TS19 that is your choice, Good Luck

So far I have done some substantial building in '19 with few problems if at all in fact it's faster too even with nearly 250K local assets in the database. It's the same surveyor too! Seriously it's the same since TRS2004 at least from what I remember because that's when I started. There are a few things added, a few things moved around in the secondary menus, but outside of that it's still the same.

Building a route in TRS2006 and importing to TRS19 currently requires passing the route through TS10 thru T:ANE so that would be an extra step anyway and yet again another thing that has to be done.

Agreeing with JCitron, building routes in TRS 19, especially Platinum is so much easier than the previous versions. I think I've made 30 dioramas in the past 3 weeks I've had TRS2019, but I only made 6 in the 4 weeks I had T:ANE :hehe:

Agreeing with JCitron, building routes in TRS 19, especially Platinum is so much easier than the previous versions. I think I've made 30 dioramas in the past 3 weeks I've had TRS2019, but I only made 6 in the 4 weeks I had T:ANE :hehe:
Hi, I'm curious why it is easier to build a route with Platinum instead of whatever region you would be modeling.

it may have trackwork parts similar to famous locations and certain unique trackwork areas in North America

Hi, I'm curious why it is easier to build a route with Platinum instead of whatever region you would be modeling.

There is the driver-surveyor tool in it which helps test things, although, being basically quick-drive it doesn't always load scripts up like it should in all cases. I find it useful for spot checking track for the stupid floating trees, bushes, and other lineside stuff that gets in the way. It beats saving, closing, checking in driver, then returning.

The ability to add in textures under splines - meaning ballast and dirt under tracks and roads, is quite a time saver, but unfortunately that doesn't have much control over it such as width and tends to be a bit too wide, although, it's good for a plop down and then touch up later with grass. (I'm not sure actually if this is in Platinum and only appears in Plus right now).

Other than that, it's still the same Surveyor as before with some stuff moved annoyingly out of the way.

i'm considering the beginning having a huge hill area with stuff like a 4 track stretch, a horseshoe curve, a tall 2% grade, a long cliffside stretch, a whole crossover area, a long straight stretch ideal for railfanning, and parts where the 2 pairs of directional tracks split their ways, perfect for testing your trains' abilities in cab mode like air brakes and dynamic brakes

anyone have good ideas/suggestions for scenery?

Look at maps and photos of an area similar to what you are planning to make your railroad like. Use Google Earth and in particular street view to get up and personal with the terrain and other details such as the kinds of trees, roads, houses, and buildings in the area.

I suggest that a trip to Google Maps-Street level with a view of the western slops of the Appalachian n Mountains might reveal a different view. Where I live I can look out my window and see a small forest. It may be 2nd or 3rd but it looks darn good.
Remember Pennsylvania translates into Penn's Woods. Oh, there are several very LARGE old trees lining the OLD WAGON ROAD (NOW ASPHALT). PA route 66.

I agree that the trees would be larger if the land clearing had not been as extensive. However, I can't see any blight here as I look at my small local forest.

True about pines. Blight has devastated them. I own a plot of land, near where I live, with tall pines but few needles. A good wind and they will be down. Many others are long gone. Fortunately, in Trainz, I can place foliage in real or idealistic formats.

So the pines are going/gone abut the deciduous stuff is thriving. Google is a good source if you are modeling CURRENT foliage settings.

PS: If you want to see blight look at old strip mines where the Company simply disappeared and the state was forced to "reclaim" the land.

Last edited:
now that i'm working on my Northlandz route I feel like totally remodeling this route into a Northlandz-like experience with several mainlines, something for everyone (everything from cities to mountains to canyons to yards to pastures to even the beach), plus tons of industries and yards

Back