Controlling canal lift bridges

MikeBr

Hi,
I am working on a route of the Oxford canal which has a number of lift bridges. These bridges are narrow and only one vessel at a time is allowed to pass through. My problem is controlling when the lift bridge opens and closes. Opening when the boat is half a mile from the bridge is far too long. I also want to lock the pair of junctions so that a vessel approaching from the opposite direction cannot lock their side junction.
I can use "TRC 3 Trigger for closure of rail crossing" asset to control when the bridge opens but it does not fix the lock issue. I can use the "Enhanced TRC3 invisible interlocking tower" asset to lock the junctions but this does not control the bridge. Including both assets results in the TRC3 trigger being ignored.
What I want is a script/assetOpe to lock the second junction when the first is locked which could then be used with the TRC 3 trigger to control the bridge.
Has anyone found a solution to this problem with canal bridges or can suggest an alternative solution?
Regards MikeBr

Have you tried ATLS for the bridge? As far as I am aware EIT only fails when ATLS signals are in the path not triggers. So connect an ATLS slave to the bridge and two triggers on each track either side of bridge and a controller. Set then in level crossing mode and on the same channel. I am a big fan of ATLS and use it in many ways to control bridges, locks and shipping. You could also use ATLS driver commands instead of triggers.

Hi,I have tried ATLS to control the lift bridges and they appear to work very well. I first tried using ATLS with the bridge on a piece of dummy track to which I attached the controller. As the bridge was not on the main track, the enhanced interlocking tower did not see it and therefore did not control it. I then tried the bridge back on the main track and removed the EIT and tried to create a race condition where two vessels each locked the junction on their side.I could not induce a lockup so I am amending my Oxford route to use ATLS assets and removing the EIT from the canals.
thanks
MikeBr

Back