Is there a way to find the numbers on signals?

Plus I don't really care about 3-3-1 or 3-2-1 or stuff like that, what I would be looking for are 1-3-3 or 1-3-2

No I don't think they are part of it either lots of 3-4-3 and stuff like that.

The 4 is a lunar white for CSX restricting.

Thanks

Sean

That’s actually something I was looking for too for an American Route I am creating, do you have the link by any chance?

OK I've posted them in public here as I've added them to my box account

https://app.box.com/s/kscq86lnvcyti75efsb583ru569pumlm

Thanks

Sean

BTW if anyone has objections with this I will certainly remove them. They were provided to me by members of the forum, and I appreciate this. I will be sharing this link if there no objections when I release my route.

Last edited:
OK I've posted them in public here as I've added them to my box account

https://app.box.com/s/kscq86lnvcyti75efsb583ru569pumlm

Thanks

Sean

BTW if anyone has objections with this I will certainly remove them. They were provided to me by members of the forum, and I appreciate this. I will be sharing this link if there no objections when I release my route.

Wow, these signals are pretty good, you should post your box link on my thread on grahamsea's signals.

Just to follow up on this for others interested, CN also shows the signal number on the rear of the signals. I didn't see this until today for some reason. Not sure when they added this, but it wasn't always this was. Possibly to help signal maintainers without a chart to replace bulbs?

I used a street view at the end of my live stream. Of course this only works for signals close to the road in street view. Keep in mind singal numbers if you get one will always be 1 up or 1 down the next one in the opposite direction depending I believe depending on the direction of the mileage. One way is always even and the other odd. Haven't come up with a methodology that applies to all circumsances.

For example tonight home signal identified WB from Burger Road at Robbins East on Stamford Sub visible in Google Earth was 107. You can also overhear foreman use these on scanners while railfanning certain limits. Now 108S & 108N EB signals were NOT visible but because they were further west and further down the line from 107 they are the next in line.

Also observed intermediate signal 57 WB and could read the sticker of intermediate 58 on the opposite side of main EB. I haven't checked to see what a dual signal would look like (both an EB and WB signal on the same intermediate mast).

Will share more findings here when I get a chance. No I haven't cleaned out my basement for those elusive maps.

Thanks

Sean

That would be very helpful except one thing, a lot of the time the signals are far away from roads, and even if they are, the black on yellow can be hard to read, although that is very helpful, I thought only CP did that as on alot of their signals they do the same thing except it is a lot bigger, for example here on the Galt Sub while it's not clear you can see on signal 167-3 I believe you can see the number on the other side of the signal https://www.google.com/maps/@43.569...4!1sGjSc4MulRKU50owdoz1ydw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Yeah I never thought of CP. It's safe to assume 167-1 & 167-2 for the others though check to make sure this is around MP 16.7 (the .7 part may not be accurate as again odd even is used I think even with CP). If that was a CN signal you would be able to see their markings on all signals.

As far as if they are too far away you would need to scout and have a good pair of binoculars. I also have a telescope so if you can borrow one from someone closer you will be amazed at what you can pull in (and try to ignore the dirty looks you get from cars that don't understand railfans to begin with).

Most signals should be close to access roads though in some cases remotely such as the Bala this is not the case. That is because the maintenance method that is preferred is by signal maintainers by truck and not one equipped with high rail (usually for foremans and track gangs only).

Thanks

Sean

Just to reopen this again. I ran into an issue at a new control point McNeilly that was put in for GO storage on the Grimsby Sub after the maps date. So this is what I can safely assume. This might be where the signals are too far from the road to see the back of it (haven't checked Google Maps and I was out in person this weekend but never thought of it). The control point is part of the crossing which is common with some CN control points.

This is again going by the maps. With the odd signals from the east counting up to the west on Stamford Sub. I look at Port Robinson East and I can see on the map the following

From east to west
Switch 5 is 21.71 and 21.91
Canby Road is 21.80
Switch 3 is 21.81 and 21.86
Switch 1 is 21.86
The signal on the east side is always odd so the beat the plant rounding down is 217N and 217S for the mains
The signal on the west side is always even so to beat the plant rounding up is 220N and 220S for the mains. While signal 222 is on further to the west to represent the team track.

Now I may be wrong on this and the best way is to be in person with a scanner and CN often will call the signal, or request the signal from dispatch. In the case of where OCS has now gone CTC the grade crossings are still valid and can be used on the bungalows and back of crossbucks. But sometimes the manual switch is replaced by CTC and can be estimated. Again it's only down to a 10th of the mile or a 5th if you consider the arrangement of a control point.

Thanks

Sean

Back