TRS2004 era route completely destroyed in TRS19

john2002

so I installed Death Valley Line to test the waters of a new route (it was a route that was 15 years old and had never been updated) and opened it in TRS19 after having installed everything except <kuid:50722:25006> and having fixed 3 faulty assets and it was a total disaster

all the terrain was flattened and textureless
most of the track was in the air or underground with the exception of some track which had gotten launched into the air making trains derail when going over it
the water had turned green

I don't even know what happened. Usually if a route has missing dependencies it loads almost fine

Seems like a massive ask to go from something as old as 2004 to TRS19! I'd expect it to be a disaster, the software is so utterly different. You may have more luck if you took it into TS12, got it right in that, but even then its a big step if you can't go via T:ane, but it could be worth the effort.

so I installed Death Valley Line to test the waters of a new route (it was a route that was 15 years old and had never been updated) and opened it in TRS19 after having installed everything except <kuid:50722:25006> and having fixed 3 faulty assets and it was a total disaster

It happens because of a change in file formats between versions. Import the route into TS12 and save it. If it looks OK in TS12 then export it and import into TRS2019. Using either TS12 or, more commonly, TS2009, for an intermediate save usually fixes this problem.

Yes that is what needs to be done, when all looks good in 2009 or 2012 just save it and you then can import it directly into 2019.
You will then be presented with a lot of Dependency repairs and fixes.

I started my Map with the Trainz UTC and then into 2004, then from there into the TRS-2006 for several years.
I saved my Custom Map from the 2006 and ported it over right into the 2019 without any issues and was lucky that I had to repair and replace a hand full of assets to get it back up a working again, all of the Mountains and terrain was in perfect order and still there. Also now the UTC,2004.2006 Map runs so very smooth and looks so much better in the 2019.
Once imported into 2019 you can not go back with that Map into an earlier Version of Trainz.
Hope this helps you understand the Process.
Cheers.
jjeff1955

So now we learn that anyone with an old version of Trainz that wants to get back into it and buys TRS19 is just out of luck. Now we find they can't load any of their old routes into TRS19 - maybe ones they spent years working on.

Oh don't worry they can use TRS12 to convert the routes. But for those that don't have a copy installed - nice marketing scheme. They should bundle TRS19 and TS12 at a special price for those poor soles.

Either it is an oversight (if I want to be diplomatic) or a bug in the new code that doesn't correctly read some older formats or a conscious effort by N3V to cut out support for some older code.

Bob Pearson

[EDIT] T. Hilliam has already responded to a similar problem and said they are investigating. He actually indicate it is a bug in TRS19 - check here.

Last edited:
So now we learn that anyone with an old version of Trainz that wants to get back into it and buys TRS19 is just out of luck. Now we find they can't load any of their old routes into TRS19 - maybe ones they spent years working on.

Oh don't worry they can use TRS12 to convert the routes. But for those that don't have a copy installed - nice marketing scheme. They should bundle TRS19 and TS12 at a special price for those poor soles.

The problem only occurs with some routes. For those users affected TRS2009 is available for free download.

TS12 was the last version that converted old routes as far as I'm aware. the problem existed in TANE anyway, it's not exactly new.

OK No such word as Cant and as nothing better to do at the moment had a look.

Can be manually fixed by renaming the files as mapfile.gnd, mapfile.obs, mapfile.trk, mapfile.bmk

So in this case replace Death Valley line with mapfile. So that Death Valley Line.gnd becomes mapfile.gnd and so on.

In the config

Make or add the following changes.
Code:
kuid                                    <kuid:58316:100130>
kind                                    "map"
username                                "Death Valley Line"
water                                   <kuid:-1:6353>
category-region                         "US"
category-class                          "YM"                   
category-era                          "2000" 
trainz-build                            3.5

And get rid of the obsolete tags.

category-region-0                       "TO"
category-era-0                          2000
asset-filename                          "Death Valley Line"
Region                                     "USA"

Just done that here in TRS19 and it's all back to normal other than 1 unknown dependency.

Somewhat surprisingly I had all the dependencies apart from the unknown so very quick exercise.

I have several legacy TS2004 Trainz routes that are now running quite happily in TS2019. I loaded them into TS2009 3.1 and/or TS2012 3.7 before saving them to CDP and taking them across to TS2019. Downloading TS2004 routes directly into TS2019 does not work as you've found out. It's best to fix anything that needs fixing in TS2012 and once everything is sorted out then save to CDP. Be aware that old legacy built in assets will need fixing with PEV Tools to be fault free in TS2019.

I did what you said and the entire route was blank as a result (not even baseboards were visible)

You have renamed all the files?

Probably missed something, it's a messy config with entries that need removing down the page . Make sure that Water "<NULL>" line is deleted.

Tony confirmed a couple of weeks ago that there's a bug importing old routes directly into TRS19. Bringing the route through TS12 or even T:ANE works fine.

My process is to bring the route through TS12. Open the route in Surveyor, and then save as. If this is my route, this gives me the backup and also of course a 3rd party route is cloned anyway.

I then export the saved TS12-version to a CDP and import that into TRS19.

When opening the route in TS12, I don't bother looking for dependencies and only use that to process the files because the dependencies will have to be installed in TRS19 anyway where I probably have them anyway.

Shown here is a portion of my original TRS2004 version 3.3 created in January 2005. There's a lot to be desired with my track-laying, but the route worked when brought in and I have since reworked the tracks in many locations and even replaced some baseboards to more modern standards as I worked this original, 4-baseboard portion, into the modern version of the same route.

2018-08-27 213350.jpg

Well doing it manually on the Death Valley route worked here in TRS19, maybe need to restart TRS19 if the OP hasn't missed something, or I did in my instructions, did miss of the s in category-era as in 2000s but that doesn't seem to make any difference I have checked it several times though.

Also just run the original through AssetX on another install that worked as well.

You shouldn't be posting your email address on a public forum unless you particularly like getting emails from scammers.

I can confirm that using T:ANE works for the import. I was the OP who had the issue with 2004. A word of warning, Make sure you have the correct assets in TAN:E when you import it because if you don't and try to import it into 19 you will end up with problems. For my maps I had to install all the 2004 assets into T:ANE and even then there were things that didn't cross over into 19 so be prepared to do multiple conversions .

now I downloaded a TRS2006 era route "Winter World" and even with the 4 files being named "mapfile", it still shows up with bare bones terrain

Back